• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2013 2:43 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 20, 2011
712 posts
68 upvotes
Calgary
Fido. Or so he claimed. It has Rogers bloatware on it....which I would pay money to get rid of...
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11274 posts
714 upvotes
Toronto
kotoula wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 12:22 am
Fido. Or so he claimed. It has Rogers bloatware on it....which I would pay money to get rid of...
Sometimes, you need to root in order to get rid of some apps. By having a rooted phone, installing a custom rom will improve speed, battery life, and get rid of any carrier customization. Can't do all three without rooting.
Dec 20, 2011
712 posts
68 upvotes
Calgary
So is there a tutorial on how to fix my problem? My problem is that I cannot update my OS, it's stuck at JB 4.1.1, the battery life is atrocious, and I want to rid the phone of Rogers bloatware. The phones status says modified so the previous owner mucked around with it and won't honestly reply to my questions so I have to figure things out from this point on. Of course I'm afraid of destroying my precious S3 that has rescued me from the clutches of Crapple's tyranny. Any and all advice to direct me how to do this is greatly appreciated. Once the phone is fixed I just want to use it for normal web stuff but not gaming. Thanks to everyone who takes time out to reply.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
2961 posts
2898 upvotes
Montreal
kotoula wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 8:35 am
So is there a tutorial on how to fix my problem? My problem is that I cannot update my OS, it's stuck at JB 4.1.1, the battery life is atrocious, and I want to rid the phone of Rogers bloatware. The phones status says modified so the previous owner mucked around with it and won't honestly reply to my questions so I have to figure things out from this point on. Of course I'm afraid of destroying my precious S3 that has rescued me from the clutches of Crapple's tyranny. Any and all advice to direct me how to do this is greatly appreciated. Once the phone is fixed I just want to use it for normal web stuff but not gaming. Thanks to everyone who takes time out to reply.
4.1.1 is the latest version for stock firmware that why's there is no new version for you to update. You have to check if your phone have stock SAMSUNG firmware. Is your phone rooted (check if there is a SuperSU app)?

If it is stock SAMSUNG firmware and not rooted then probably the seller already revert your phone to stock firmware already... So you just have to wait until Rogers/SAMSUNG release a newer update firmware in order to update.

If you can't wait and want to try JB 4.2.1 then you will have to root your phone, install custom ROM, for example AOKP

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1766684
Dec 20, 2011
712 posts
68 upvotes
Calgary
Thanks for clarification on the version from Rogers for me. They're is an app called superuser chainsDD and it's in the update list but I never installed that app. I have no idea why it's on my list of apps to update. It's something to do with rooting. I only want the updated OS when Rogers releases it.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2008
1093 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
kotoula wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 9:03 pm
Thanks for clarification on the version from Rogers for me. They're is an app called superuser chainsDD and it's in the update list but I never installed that app. I have no idea why it's on my list of apps to update. It's something to do with rooting. I only want the updated OS when Rogers releases it.
Your phone is rooted. Install root checker from play store
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11274 posts
714 upvotes
Toronto
kotoula wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 4:03 pm
If you update your phone using the Rogers OS, all of the bloatware will come back.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
6341 posts
422 upvotes
6ix
kotoula wrote:
Jan 24th, 2013 12:26 am
Great. So what would you do?
Update to Latest firmare, Root it and remove the bloatware.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
9874 posts
588 upvotes
Mississauga
Are there any firmware updates past 4.04? A firmware update pops up but since I'm rooted it doesn't work.
RFD Users who tell it like it is and aren't sheltered by society's wet blanket:
Syne, a-tree, Shaner, Peckerwood, Anonymouse, Cas77, arisk
arisk wrote:
Oct 15th, 2011 7:45 pm
Banning proper use in a forum such as this simply perpetuates the problem by reinforcing the perspective that all uses of a word are negative.
KorruptioN wrote:
Oct 29th, 2010 9:11 pm
She must be better than all of us real men, at any cost. Feel like talking down to people who don't fit in her narrow-minded demographic? She's got it in spades.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11274 posts
714 upvotes
Toronto
Tijuana wrote:
Jan 24th, 2013 1:39 am
Are there any firmware updates past 4.04? A firmware update pops up but since I'm rooted it doesn't work.
Personally, I wouldn't worry about installing a stock carrier rom. It's unlikely the rom will provide you with of anything other than bloatware.
Nov 29, 2006
368 posts
11 upvotes
Since the JB upgrade, my battery has gone to crap. With ICS, I would go to bed with 50% battery remaining and 2 hours screen time. Since the upgrade, my phone is practically dead when I go to bed at 11pm with only an hour screen time. I dont have access to Wifi at work so I'm on HSPA+ all day (no LTE available yet). I turned off Google Now and some other location settings, but battery life hasnt improved much..does anyone have any recommendations?

I tried CM10.1 and AOKP 4.2, but actually found my battery life to be even worse with those. I gave them each 3+ days and full charges/drains to see if it improved, but it never did. Any recommendations for custom roms that improve battery life?
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2012
1754 posts
336 upvotes
Mississauga
^ wrong model. Rogers s3 is i747. Latest available is 4.1.1 Jelly Bean.

OP, looks like you have a rooted Rogers Jelly Bean software. THis shouldn't be cause of concern for battery life, as original software may be the same or worse in terms of battery life.

Also, you can flash the official software back on, and disable Rogers apps in Settings -> Applications -> All. What else are you hoping to achieve?
Your Rights as a Wireless Consumer - http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/INFO_SHT/t15.htm

An Android a day keeps the Apple away.
× < >