Cell Phones

Samsung Galaxy S3 Message App Lag

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2012 1:23 pm
May 1, 2011
267 posts
71 upvotes

Samsung Galaxy S3 Message App Lag

So today my gf noticed her samsung s3 messaging app started to lag very badly, there are around 1500+ text message in her phone. She doesnt have the limit text set so text arent delete after the 200 limit.
It wasn't a big deal to manual deleting the messages (did have to restart the phone afterwards cause the messaging app won't work)
She is angry at the fact that her new samsung s3 with better hardware then the iphone 4 is causing so much lag even while doing basic functions like texting. She never had any problems with her iphone 4 so I can see where she is coming from.

Is this a inherited problem with the Android phones or only the samsung galaxy?

I am looking at my iphone 4 and there are no lag even when i am holding however long ago text messages that I never bothered to delete.

If anyone can give me insight on how iphone and android treat their text history handling, that would be greatly appreciated because I am switching to an android too.
4 replies
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
15885 posts
353 upvotes
I have this question too because my friend has the s3 32gb and it lags as well.

I also am using the iphone4 and it barely lags.

Maybe root it and install custom rom to make it better?
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2010
2635 posts
161 upvotes
My iPhone 4 lagged quite a bit after 1.5 years of text messages so not sure how people are managing to get it lag free. However in general iPhones do tend to handle long archives a bit better than similar androids. Still, using IM apps got quite frustrating on the IP4 though when the conversation got very long. Something my android phones excelled at (especially gtalk, amazing how well it works).

Anyhow, i cannot comment on newer iPhones or androids as i now tend to delete my SMS manually after a month or so, just bugs me a lot to keep that stuff in there. I never re read them anyways so yeah.

Honestly, i believe it has to do with the way things are coded. Android implementation is probably worse because of real time interpretation needed while running the app over DVM. Something no specs or new phone will fix unless it is re-coded.
Owner of hunks of metal, silicon, glass, plastic with 1s and 0s and some electrons powering them.
[OP]
May 1, 2011
267 posts
71 upvotes
Thanks for the replies. It does seem like the iOS has an edge on sms handling cause my gf's iphone 4 never had problems at the relatively same texting rate. I guess android still has a little catching up to do cause the S3 is such a powerful device but seems like the software is slowing it down. Right now I am having a hard time trying to delete her sms cause everything I try to, the app just freezes up. A little let down but lesson learned to not keep thousands of sms.

Hopefully the Jelly Bean can improve the S3 cause I have the nexus 7 and JB is amazing.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2010
2635 posts
161 upvotes
hakaman wrote:
Nov 30th, 2012 10:19 pm
Thanks for the replies. It does seem like the iOS has an edge on sms handling cause my gf's iphone 4 never had problems at the relatively same texting rate. I guess android still has a little catching up to do cause the S3 is such a powerful device but seems like the software is slowing it down. Right now I am having a hard time trying to delete her sms cause everything I try to, the app just freezes up. A little let down but lesson learned to not keep thousands of sms.

Hopefully the Jelly Bean can improve the S3 cause I have the nexus 7 and JB is amazing.
I don't think it is catching up to do, but rather a complete re-write up. Something you won't see very soon. So they will have to tackle it some other way. Monster specs cannot fix code issues, they may make them less worse.
Owner of hunks of metal, silicon, glass, plastic with 1s and 0s and some electrons powering them.
× < >