Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 28, 2010
254 posts
38 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON

Samsung Galaxy S4 camera takes blurry photos

I'm not bashing the phone or the camera, i'm just asking for some advice and your experience with the phone.

Just wondering if everyone else's camera takes blury photos more often than not. I find that if i press the screen where I want it to focus and i get the green box it does help the focus but do i have to do this all the time? I can't just turn on the camera app and snap a picture? I also find the pictures to be very grainy. I can't find out how to adjust the ISO to possibly get rid of the grain in photos. The ISO setting is greyed out.

I'm taking pictures of kids mostly.
I'm coming from a Nokia lumia 920 and a 3+ year old samsung galaxy s (vibrant).

Thanks!
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
7514 posts
393 upvotes
Scarborough
Try the 3rd party app like Camera ZOOM FX to see if the stock app suck.
Sep 22, 2008
733 posts
47 upvotes
take the sticker off
For sale /

scarborough/markham
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2678 posts
313 upvotes
Newmarket
CenturySam wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2013 7:20 am
take the sticker off
had someone with a z10 tell me their pictures were really blurry. they also had the factory plastic still on the phone and thought that because it was clear, that it should still work. :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
1832 posts
92 upvotes
Kitchener
Wait you mean the plastic is suppose to come off? I thought it was a protector like the one on the screen. j/k :)

OP have you checked the lens for any dirt? Most cameras require the target to be relatively still. Are the kids moving around too much?
Sum_guy wrote:
Mar 13th, 2013 10:26 pm
but my nipples hurt for the rest of the weekend when we go.
Jun 3, 2013
1 posts
Best way to take pics with this phone is to tap the screen for focus on an object then snap the pic. The camera does not do well in low lit areas either. Thats a Samsung camera issue. Another option is to turn burst shot on and also the Best Shot mode.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2678 posts
313 upvotes
Newmarket
Double_J wrote:
Jun 4th, 2013 1:58 am
Wait you mean the plastic is suppose to come off? I thought it was a protector like the one on the screen. j/k :)
off topic but that's one of my pet peeves. i know a lady with a 4 year old laptop that still has the plastic on the bezel of her laptop screen.
[OP]
Jun 28, 2010
254 posts
38 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
jkbane wrote:
Jun 5th, 2013 3:20 am
Best way to take pics with this phone is to tap the screen for focus on an object then snap the pic. The camera does not do well in low lit areas either. Thats a Samsung camera issue. Another option is to turn burst shot on and also the Best Shot mode.
Thanks I will try those options to see if this improves anything. And yes the plastic is off. I just find this camera quite poor compared to the 2 phones i've used above (galaxy s vibrant, and lumia 920). I was just looking for feedback from other users before bringing the phone back to the store. I really wonder if my camera is faulty.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1163 posts
130 upvotes
DonkeyKong wrote:
May 31st, 2013 3:45 pm
I'm not bashing the phone or the camera, i'm just asking for some advice and your experience with the phone.

Just wondering if everyone else's camera takes blury photos more often than not. I find that if i press the screen where I want it to focus and i get the green box it does help the focus but do i have to do this all the time? I can't just turn on the camera app and snap a picture? I also find the pictures to be very grainy. I can't find out how to adjust the ISO to possibly get rid of the grain in photos. The ISO setting is greyed out.

I'm taking pictures of kids mostly.
I'm coming from a Nokia lumia 920 and a 3+ year old samsung galaxy s (vibrant).

Thanks!
Yea, focus is a bit wack on the Samsung phones (I have a NOTE 2).. you have to click on the screen to focus on the point, and as for the ISO setting, if you have a scene setting selected, than you won't get the options for manual adjustment hence why it might be greyed out. I also noticed that the camera pushes the ISO too high in indoor situations and results in grainy pictures.. but i guess they prefer brighter pictures over grainy..
Nov 11, 2012
876 posts
111 upvotes
Mississauga
There is only a few reasons for this and it's the same for any phone camera.

1. You are an idiot and shaking your hands when taking pics. By far number one cause of blurry photos.
2. It is dark. Darkness is the camera phone's weakness. Go outside on a sunny day and be amazed at the picture quality.
3. Smudges/scratches. If you touch your cameras glass it will leave the grease print and possibly ruin photos. If it's scratched than it's over for you. Have to replace the glass or never take photos again.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2007
2611 posts
79 upvotes
The 920 has significantly better image quality and has very good optical stabilization for a mobile device, so I wouldn't compare to that.

You need to figure out whether the blurriness is caused by camera shake or missed focus. If it's a matter of missed focus, there could actually be something wrong mechanically. If it's camera shake, you need to either shoot in brighter conditions or learn how to hold the camera steadier.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2007
2611 posts
79 upvotes
Op post a pic and we can tell you whether it's camera shake or missed focus.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
2738 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
I have the GS4 as well, and like you, experienced blurry pictures at first. What I discovered, however, was that by default the face detection and anti-shake options were disabled in the camera settings. Once I enabled these features, pictures came out much much much clearer and with less/no blur.
Witty Comment
"I love to go to the schoolyard and watch the children jump and scream, but they don't know I'm using blanks." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
× < >