[OP]
Banned
Oct 9, 2015
1313 posts
239 upvotes
ON

Samsung Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge - February 21st, 2016

[IMG]http://www.21.by/pub/news/2015/03/1427371712142723.jpg[/IMG]

With the fast approaching launch of Samsung's latest flagship smartphones the rumours are starting to fly. Biggest among them is that Samsung plans to implement some sort of new cutting edge technology to allow the screen to respond to various pressure applied by the user! Samsung's R&D department is once again ahead of the curve. Other rumours include fast charging though a USB-C port - a full day's worth in 30 minutes. And the return of the memory card slot. The overall design of the phone is claimed to remain largely unchanged from the S6.

What are your predictions/desires for the new S7?
1293 replies
Nov 10, 2013
719 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto, ON
samsung plans to implement some sort of new cutting edge technology to allow the screen to respond to various pressure applied by the user! Samsung's r&d department is once again ahead of the curve.
olololol
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2800 posts
691 upvotes
Toronto
Varian wrote:
Dec 14th, 2015 7:03 am
olololol
+1

I'm far from an Apple fanboy, but the pressure sensitive screen is not something Samsung can claim is "cutting edge". Force Touch is already a feature on the iPad Pro. Samsung is playing catch-up.

I'm more interested in the performance of the Snapdragon 820 and whether it will solve the heat issues of the 810 (no issue on my wife's 6P though). Not that I would ever touch a Samsung device anyway with the awful Touch Wiz interface.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
6834 posts
1059 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Little Tim wrote:
Dec 14th, 2015 12:06 pm
+1

I'm far from an Apple fanboy, but the pressure sensitive screen is not something Samsung can claim is "cutting edge". Force Touch is already a feature on the iPad Pro.
and Iphones as well as apple watches
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
8936 posts
682 upvotes
until I see a prototype with SD slot, I don't have my hopes up. Waiting on LG G5 news
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14205 posts
822 upvotes
Markham
Gonna wait for camera reviews.. If it's even better than the S6, I'll upgrade again
ShadowVlican
Sep 27, 2003
7866 posts
1319 upvotes
Newmarket
I'd like to see a larger battery.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15889 posts
944 upvotes
Woodbridge
WorldIRC wrote:
Dec 14th, 2015 6:29 pm
I'd like to see a larger battery.
Why? I'm sure Samsung will release a Battery Case. LOL
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2007
2846 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah I don't know about that maybe force touch but i doubt it will both. I think "upgrades" like that are very incremental. Even if phone companies can do that, they probably save it for the next version (S8).
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
407 upvotes
Toronto
GenerationE wrote:
Dec 14th, 2015 5:34 am

And the return of the memory card slot.
That's a new low for Samsung to take away something good and then implement it 2 generations later as a "new feature", are we supposed to be happy for the return of an old feature? :facepalm:

They're starting to be as sneaky and vulgar as Apple by insulting the intelligence of consumers.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
22733 posts
4649 upvotes
GTHA
Samsung Electronics plans initial production of five million Galaxy S7 phones: report
SEOUL (Reuters) - Samsung Electronics Co Ltd, the world's top smartphone maker, plans an initial production run of about 5 million of its upcoming Galaxy S7 smartphones, South Korea's Electronic Times reported on Monday, citing unnamed sources.

The paper said Samsung is planning to launch two different versions of its new flagship smartphone: a 5.2-inch flat-screen version, and a 5.5-inch, curved-screen version that will be called the 'Galaxy S7 edge'.

Samsung plans to initially make 3.3 million of the flat-screen devices and around 1.6 million of the curved-screen version, the report said, with plans to launch the handset in February.

A Samsung Electronics spokeswoman declined to comment on the report.

(Reporting by Se Young Lee; Editing by Kenneth Maxwell)
[OP]
Banned
Oct 9, 2015
1313 posts
239 upvotes
ON
Galaxy S7 Leak Confirms 5 Brilliant New Features
1. The Return Of Water Resistance - following widespread expectation that the iPhone 7 will go down the same path, Samsung will bring back the IP67 rated dust and water resistance from the Galaxy S5 that was dropped by the Galaxy S6.

2. Major Battery Capacity Increase – expect the 5.2-inch Galaxy S7 to get a 20% larger battery than the Galaxy S6 as it jumps from 2550 mAh to 3000 mAh. Samsung will also enlarge the Galaxy S7 Edge to 5.5-inches and give it a near 40% battery capacity increase from 2600 mAh to 3600 mAh. The former could be a big differentiator to the iPhone 7 if Apple AAPL +1.06% doesn’t up its battery game, even this doesn’t mark Samsung’s return to the fully removable batteries of past Galaxy phones.

3. Expandable Storage Returns - the Galaxy S6 perhaps most controversially killed off expandable storage, but the Galaxy S7 will rectify that with support for microSD cards up right up to 200GB. This cheap way to boost capacity will place huge pressure on Apple to increase base level iPhone 7 storage from the iPhone 6S’s measly 16GB.

4. Camera Upgrades and Downgrades – as analysed by my fellow Forbes’ contributor Paul Monckton, Samsung will take a gamble in dropping the resolution of the Galaxy S7 camera from 16MP to 12MP. This could affect the level of detail in shots, particularly if they are heavily cropped, but it also allows Samsung to make it flush to the body of the phone and use a super fast f/1.7 aperture (up from f/1.9 in the S6) for action shots and improved low light performance. Having seen the Galaxy S6 camera surpass the iPhone 6S, this again shows Samsung’s intent not to sit on its laurels.

5. Two Tier Internals - shoring up previous reports is Blass also applying his “100% accurate” stamp to news the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge will use 4GB of RAM. With Android still being a RAM guzzling beast in theory this will further improve performance, especially in multitasking. A shift to Android Marshmallow should also help Samsung address the extensive memory throttling it used on its 2015 handsets.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel