• Jul 19th, 2017 11:27 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 17, 2016
40 posts
43 upvotes

Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus - which model

I am consider buying Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus from Ebay to be used on Fido network here in Canada. I am trying to figure out which model is better to buy and which models is beter to avoid.
Models I usually see for sale are:
G955FD - Global with Exynos 8895
G955U - USA Unlocked with Qualcomm MSM8998 Snapdragon 835

Would you recommend one model over another? I assume they both will work on Fido, right?
29 replies
Jul 27, 2015
128 posts
26 upvotes
British Columbia
how much cheaper is it on ebay?
will it be worth the headache over a canadian version?
[OP]
Nov 17, 2016
40 posts
43 upvotes
chilli604 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 2:27 pm
how much cheaper is it on ebay?
will it be worth the headache over a canadian version?
I bought multiple phones in the past from ebay from reputable sellers and I had never any headache. Price is 1100CA$ here and about 850CA$ in USA. You have to pay tax on top of that. So savings are about 250CA$ - not bad for single transaction. There will be no warranty for these phones here in Canada, so you have to keep that in mind.
[OP]
Nov 17, 2016
40 posts
43 upvotes
mebiuspower wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 3:10 pm
Why do you want to buy on ebay?
Why to buy on ebay? Single reason - to save money. I have a plan with Fido where I pay 15$/month for 3GB of data that works well for me. All I need is a phone without a contract.
May 8, 2009
587 posts
147 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Vi20161128 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 3:46 pm
Why to buy on ebay? Single reason - to save money. I have a plan with Fido where I pay 15$/month for 3GB of data that works well for me. All I need is a phone without a contract.
When your wireless bill is that cheap, you can justify paying full MRSP for phones.

If you wait until Black Friday, you might land a $250 discount on a Koodo tab (trade-in at Wow, switch to an AB number, then cancel on day 2), and you'd get warranty in Canada.

If you had to choose between the US and global variants...LTE coverage may be slightly better with US variant, if at all. Samsung Galaxy phones have really good LTE band coverage (probably second to Apple). That being said, rumour has it that the global variant's processor is likely better. Assuming LTE coverage is exactly the same, I'd go with the global variant.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1161 posts
178 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
They'll both work on Fido, and support the frequencies used in North America.
Mar 22, 2013
781 posts
158 upvotes
Markham
I'm interested too but I never bought phones on eBay before. What are some things I should look out for?
iPhone SE 32 GB - Koodo Mobile

$55 Unlimited Canada-wide
Unlimited messaging (text & picture)
1000 Intl LD minutes, 8 GB Plan
[OP]
Nov 17, 2016
40 posts
43 upvotes
myinglin0318 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 9:16 pm
I'm interested too but I never bought phones on eBay before. What are some things I should look out for?
Buy from the seller with 98+% positive feedback and 1000+ feedback score - that means this is business seller, usually you will have no problems. For safety also look just at sellers who offer "30 days returns" - worst case you will loose shipping money. Use common sense and assume that if condition is 9 out of 10, there will be scratches on the phone. When buying add all expenses: Phone + shipping + duty and then compare to canadian prices. Remember that most likely you will not have warranty. Based on this, you should be saving at least 20% from Canadian prices or more.
May 8, 2009
587 posts
147 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Vi20161128 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 9:29 pm
Buy from the seller with 98+% positive feedback and 1000+ feedback score - that means this is business seller, usually you will have no problems. For safety also look just at sellers who offer "30 days returns" - worst case you will loose shipping money. Use common sense and assume that if condition is 9 out of 10, there will be scratches on the phone. When buying add all expenses: Phone + shipping + duty and then compare to canadian prices. Remember that most likely you will not have warranty. Based on this, you should be saving at least 20% from Canadian prices or more.
Agreed, saving less than 20% after duty and shipping isn't worth it. Usually, you can spot defects within the 30 day return policy so I wouldn't worry too much about warranty. I also would not buy from a seller with a feedback score lower than 98% (if it's for an inexpensive item I might chance a 97% score).

Does anyone think the S8/S8+ will drop in price any once the Note 8 rolls out?
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Nov 14, 2003
915 posts
14 upvotes
I buy phone on eBay all the time. It's a great place to get a used phone. Choosing vendor and product carefully is the key.

My current phone, a Samsung Galaxy S7 Duos came from eBay. It was mint and US$330.

There's a current BOGO on Samsung.com with a trade-in, http://www.samsung.com/us/trade-in/?CID ... 3-11000170
Apr 12, 2013
525 posts
46 upvotes
Markham
Exynos variant is better and slightly faster as per the speed tests on YT, reviews also say battery life is better as well. If you're gonna a overseas one, you might as well pay a bit more for the dual sim one. They are usually only 10 dollars more and give you quite a bit flexibility especially if youre going for the fido data route. I remember for the S7/S7E the Exynos was so much faster that lots of people paid significantly more money to buy them from overseas.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3045 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
kangarooz wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 6:14 am
I remember for the S7/S7E the Exynos was so much faster that lots of people paid significantly more money to buy them from overseas.
Canadian version was Exynos for S7/S7E. dont need to go oversea and buy unless you want dual sim.
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
[OP]
Nov 17, 2016
40 posts
43 upvotes
I just bought my phone for 659US$ - G955FD model. I monitored prices yesterday and saw that phones where bought up at this price and one seller (never_msrp) even increased price to 709$ after selling 10s of phones in one day. So I decided that price 659US$ is current fair price. I believe that every week or two phone price will go down by 10-20US$, but I decided not to wait. You can buy cheaper if you do not want to buy "brand new in Original packaging" item, for example you can find same phone with all accessories, but no original packaging for 629US$.
Mar 22, 2013
781 posts
158 upvotes
Markham
Vi20161128 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 9:29 pm
Thank you for the tips! I've come across the seller never-msrp and he seems very decent... now it's time to decide which one to buy but from looking at it, it seems like the FD version is better because of dual sim. I won't be needing it but just in case I do use it in the future, it'll come in handy.

The FD version is selling for $895 Cdn with $25 shipping but no duty fees listed but I'm guessing if it does, it'll be around $100? So final price looks like $1020 delivered. How does that look?
iPhone SE 32 GB - Koodo Mobile

$55 Unlimited Canada-wide
Unlimited messaging (text & picture)
1000 Intl LD minutes, 8 GB Plan