Samsung Galaxy S8 Q1 2017

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2016 2:10 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7368 posts
4672 upvotes
Between Countries
I don't really like the lack of a physical home button (like IP7) and the haptic response feels weird to me. Though I can probably get used to it.
Also, I hope they don't contaminate the Galaxy S line with the pen. Maybe just relaunch the Note line with pen under another name. "Galaxy Phab 1" or something.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21329 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
taro-chan wrote: Battery explodes or catches on fire. lol Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Yeah, but they don't know WHY. Simply replacing the battery obviously didn't fix the problem, since the "new" batches also started exploding.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
LOL at people expecting a massive price cut on the price. That's not gonna happen. They will probably bring back the $200 trade in credit though.

Hopefully they won't make the same battery mistake again.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
530 upvotes
The Note 7 battery issue has even made it into a Rick Mercer Report sketch
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21329 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
"Samsung's hurried Galaxy Note 7 recall doomed the phone" - an interesting note from the article is that the recall issues have actually taken time away from work on the S8, which may result in delays in its launch next year (as opposed to releasing early).

Also: Note 7 debacle forces Samsung to offer next-gen discounts in Korea:
In an effort to retain Galaxy Note 7 customers in South Korea, Samsung is offering a big discount on the upcoming Galaxy S8 and Galaxy Note 8 models. The company will effectively offer 50 percent off the next-gen phone, provided that Note 7 customers upgrade to the current Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 Edge models.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19790 posts
3419 upvotes
Woodbridge
Early release?

Are they really going to rush this out. LOL The S8 can wait until August, let the flames die down.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Feb 1, 2014
802 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
Samsung failed to release a flagship device from both of their lineups this year. With the leak specs for the S8, the only thing that would be different is the processor. Looks like Samsung is just mimicking OP design philosophy with their flagship devices.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
8584 posts
5368 upvotes
95thRifles wrote: Samsung failed to release a flagship device from both of their lineups this year. With the leak specs for the S8, the only thing that would be different is the processor. Looks like Samsung is just mimicking OP design philosophy with their flagship devices.
S7/Edge is by far the most critically & commercially acclaimed Android phone of 2016, so I disagree that Samsung failed to release a flagship this year
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21329 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
95thRifles wrote: Samsung failed to release a flagship device from both of their lineups this year. With the leak specs for the S8, the only thing that would be different is the processor. Looks like Samsung is just mimicking OP design philosophy with their flagship devices.
What definition are you using for "flagship"? By any definition I'm aware of, the S7 would qualify. But the "just bump up the specs some more for next year's model" is hardly a new philosophy in the cell phone world these days, and particularly not new to Samsung.