Expired Hot Deals

[Zellers] Samsung GIO $79.99 - FS

Jan 6, 2011
334 posts
171 upvotes
Montreal
Hi,

I just bought a Samsung Galaxy GIO (S5660) from Best Buy and looks like it cannot be unlocked using the method posted here, on redlfagdeals (Chan's method).
I managed to root the device but I can't find the code. It shows 01234567. I repeated the process mutiple times and still nothing.
Anyone can help me, please ?
Thanks!

Phone information:
Model number: GT-S5660M
Android version: 2.3.4
Baseband number: S5660MUGKG3
Kernel version: 2.6.35.7-perf-CL413839se.infra@SEI-44 #1
Build number: GINGERBREAD.MUGKG3
Aug 7, 2001
539 posts
260 upvotes
Chatham
If you keep looking in the column where you found these numbers... scroll down until you find a second set. of 8 digits. This is probably the code you need.

IntelQC wrote:
Mar 11th, 2012 10:22 am
Hi,

I just bought a Samsung Galaxy GIO (S5660) from Best Buy and looks like it cannot be unlocked using the method posted here, on redlfagdeals (Chan's method).
I managed to root the device but I can't find the code. It shows 01234567. I repeated the process mutiple times and still nothing.
Thanks!

Phone information:
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3368 posts
414 upvotes
Mississauga
IntelQC wrote:
Mar 11th, 2012 10:22 am
Hi,

Thanks!

Phone information:

Are you using the method of rooting, terminal, su and then cat /dev/bml5>/sdcard/bml5.img

Open it in wordpad.

My unlock code came up 3 times in the file. One just before the middle portion, one at 3/4 of the file and the last one appear very close to the 2nd occurrence.

I hope the following way will help you find the code. I assume the spacing between the 00000000 is approximately the same.
Try and use the following search case to see if it'll find the unlock code easier for you. I used it and was able to find all 3 occurrence of my unlock code. The 8 digits unlock code should be in front.

00000000ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ00000000ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ00000000
(Take off the two empty spaces. They get automatically parsed that way when i submit this post. There should be no spaces.)

Thanks to schan for an easy way to unlock the phone.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46786 posts
12761 upvotes
With rooting but without installing a custom ROM, where can I get a flash 10.2 or 10.3 apk for the Android 2.3.4 OS?

I have Dolphin Browser but even when updated to the latest version, the flash support seems lacking. At least that is what I found while trying to access http://music.cbc.ca/

TIA.

EDIT:

Found this:

http://androidadvices.com/install-flash ... id-phones/
Mar 31, 2008
46 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
Works for my GIO. Thanks!
S.Chan wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2011 5:16 pm
Honestly, the stl5 tutorial I previously posted is the simplest as you don't have to install any software on your computer. And if you double-check all the commands before you enter them, you should not be bricking your phone.

The newer bml5 tutorial posted by pinkpt has a lower chance of bricking as you are not messing with the EFS partition, but is more complicated.

However, the bml5 method can be simplified if you use Android Terminal Emulator and WordPad (so you don't have to install the Android SDK and a Hex Editor). I had to unlock a phone for a friend, so here's a step-by-step:

Android Terminal Emulator & WordPad bml5 Unlock Guide (No PC Programs to Install)

Disclaimer
  • There is always a risk of bricking/damaging your phone when peforming an unlock
  • Perform the following bml5 method (or the stl5 method) at your own risk
What You Need
  1. Samsung Galaxy Gio GT-S5660M
  2. microSD Card with SD Card Adapter
  3. Windows PC with SD Card Reader
Preparation
  1. Fully charge your phone
  2. Do not put in a SIM card in the phone
  3. Turn off your phone
Rooting the Phone
  1. Download this file from psyfactor's post: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jzvnlbhidsd5f6l
  2. Copy root_gb_gio.zip to the root directory of your SD card on your computer
  3. Insert the SD card into the phone
  4. Turn on the phone in recovery mode by holding the HOME and POWER button
  5. Using the VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN buttons highlight the Install Update option and confirm the selection with the HOME button.
  6. Using the VOLUME UP/DOWN and HOME buttons, select the root_gb_gio.zip file and run the update
  7. Using the VOLUME UP/DOWN and HOME buttons, select the reboot option
  8. Verify that the SuperUser application icon appears on the last page (by default) of the menu screen
Obtaining the bml5.img File
  1. In Android Market, download and install Android Terminal Emulator
  2. Boot up the Android Terminal Emulator application
  3. Using the on-screen keyboard, type

Code: Select all

su
    A prompt will appear; you must select ALLOW to give superuser access to the application
    Image Image
  4. Type

cat /dev/bml5>/sdcard/bml5.img
    N.B.: The l in bml5.img is the letter "L" and no the number "1"
  5. (Optional Step)
    Exit superuser mode by typing

exit
  6. Now turn off your phone
Obtaining the Unlock Code
  1. On your PC, copy the bml5.img file from your SD card to your computer
  2. Open the file using WordPad
    N.B.: As bml5.img is a 9 MB file, this will take some time to open.
  3. Under the EDIT menu, click FIND and search for a series of three sets of eight zeroes (i.e. search for "00000000")
    Image Image
    N.B.: In my file, the first set of eight zeroes appeared after clicking FIND NEXT 36 times
  4. Your eight digit numeric unlock code (blacked out in screenshot below) will appear before the three sets of eight zeroes; copy this down
Unlocking the Phone
  1. Put in a non-Bell SIM card into the phone (might also have to be non-Virgin/non-Solo if the next step doesn't show up for you; I used a Fido SIM card).
  2. Turn on the phone.
  3. You will see a prompt asking for the network code.
  4. Using the on-screen number-pad, enter your eight digit unlock code.
  5. If successful a prompt will say "Network unlock successful". If not, then it will say "Network unlock unsuccessful"
  6. To double-check, bring up the lock status screen by dialing this number:

*#7465625#
    N.B.: All the locks on the screen should have "[OFF]" displayed
  7. You have now successfully unlocked your phone! You can also uninstall the Android Terminal Emulator application if you like.
Additional Information
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14069 posts
6482 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Ustilago wrote:
May 10th, 2012 1:05 am
Works for my GIO. Thanks!
Was it really necessary to quote the entire post, in all its glorious detail, complete with large graphics, just to tell us what we've all already known for months?
Please, think before you post.
Thank you.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46786 posts
12761 upvotes
What is the easiest way to unlock the gio seeing how it has been on the market for so long now?
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14069 posts
6482 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
alanbrenton wrote:
Jul 8th, 2012 3:18 pm
What is the easiest way to unlock the gio seeing how it has been on the market for so long now?
Scroll up a few posts!
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46786 posts
12761 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Jul 8th, 2012 3:34 pm
Scroll up a few posts!
Thanks. Browsing on my gio increases my reading handicap on rfd significantly.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46786 posts
12761 upvotes
Hmmm. I unlocked the phones on July 20 using the hex values but when a prospective buyer inserted his Chatr SIM, both phones still showed they were network locked. ???

Was it the factory reset that resulted in the phone going back to locked status?
Dec 27, 2003
768 posts
40 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Aug 8th, 2012 12:32 pm
Hmmm. I unlocked the phones on July 20 using the hex values but when a prospective buyer inserted his Chatr SIM, both phones still showed they were network locked. ???

Was it the factory reset that resulted in the phone going back to locked status?
Probably. Just use the same code you found previously to unlock it again.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46786 posts
12761 upvotes
Eternia wrote:
Aug 8th, 2012 8:26 pm
Probably. Just use the same code you found previously to unlock it again.
Thanks. Yeah. I'm glad I scribbled them on a piece of paper.