Computers & Electronics

Samsung H series TV's (2014) does not support IP control!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2014 2:15 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3688 posts
1227 upvotes
Oshawa, ON

Samsung H series TV's (2014) does not support IP control!

My family has had a E series TV since 2012 and the smart remote apps in the Playstore work flawlessly with my TV. However when I attempted to connect with my new H series TV purchased this week, I was unable to despite the IP address was correct and my devices were on the same WiFi network. I did some more research and learned that Samsung has changed the communication protocol and encrypted everything. Samsung has been reached numerous times by app developers to provide support for this new protocol but refuse to support third party apps. This is just a heads up for anyone attempting to connect their Samsung TV with their smart phone, it won't work! Smart phones with IR blasters are exempt and are still good. I really hope that someone will be able to develop an app that can bypass this new obstacle, I loved controlling my TV with my smart phone.

Note: I am unaware if any other brands are in the same situation, please post if your newer models work with IP control. Thanks

Sources:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... hone&hl=en (read description)

http://www.roomieremote.com/forums/topi ... p-control/
4 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
I'm surprised consumer electronics still do not have a standardized, open control scheme - ideally using RF or WiFi.

IR is so lame and HDMI CEC is so limited.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3688 posts
1227 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
coolspot wrote: I'm surprised consumer electronics still do not have a standardized, open control scheme - ideally using RF or WiFi.

What's wrong with IR? It doesn't require any connectivity and consumes less battery as opposed to WiFi.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
coolspot wrote: I'm surprised consumer electronics still do not have a standardized, open control scheme - ideally using RF or WiFi.

I disagree. IR is fantastic because its so flexible and because its easily reverse engineered if some company decides to fart around with proprietary codes or etc. RF and Wifi you don't necessarily have that luxury.

The reason consumer electronics do not have a standardized, open control scheme is this:

[IMG]http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/standards.png [/IMG]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
1684 posts
298 upvotes
Its not the ir persay that's the weak point. Its that its a one way communication method and most devices are completely oblivious to the commands issued from competing devices. So far my Appletv gets nods for intelligent design. The appletv is a universal receiver that is programmable. That said I now wonder if they're watching all my other remote commands.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)