Computers & Electronics

Samsung ku6290 - tons of "color banding" :( Defective or just part of the technology?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 9th, 2017 6:38 pm
[OP]
May 31, 2005
661 posts
190 upvotes

Samsung ku6290 - tons of "color banding" :( Defective or just part of the technology?

Hi,

I bought a Samsung Ku6920 from Costco and it suffers from pretty severe color banding (gradient?).
It looks identical to what's posted in this thread :
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/TVs ... td-p/52099

Is this just something I have to get use to with LCDs? (I'm coming from a plasma from 2010), or is it a defect in the product?
The banding in dark areas is really, really bad. It looks like someone uploaded a super 8 to youtube.

specfically this image : https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/TVs ... E94EB89080
happens constantly .
3 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
25229 posts
5491 upvotes
That's not what I call banding. That looks more like dithering or moire to me, than something I'd call "banding". And no that's not part of LCD technology, lol. Different panel types do suffer from certain "quirks" or nuances here and there, sure, but that? Uh yeah that's pretty bad. Definitely not something I'd consider "normal" or acceptable. Since you got it from Costco just return it and buy something else.

Edit: Apparently it looks like this is because some Samsung TVs with 10-bit panels don't employ image processing to smooth 8-bit sources (which is the majority of sources) well or at all. This means anything that isn't 4K UHD BD will probably have this noticeable. Plus the poorer the source the worse it's going to be--obviously that's the case for overall image quality but this gradient issue will also be more pronounced on lower quality encodes/overly compressed sources. This means if you employ a pirate Android device ("Kodi boxes") it will probably look extremely bad (like worse than those things normally do I mean). This is pretty stupid of Samsung though because even standard 1080p BD is still an 8-bit source and most available sources will be 8-bit as mentioned.
[OP]
May 31, 2005
661 posts
190 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: That's not what I call banding. That looks more like dithering or moire to me, than something I'd call "banding". And no that's not part of LCD technology, lol. Different panel types do suffer from certain "quirks" or nuances here and there, sure, but that? Uh yeah that's pretty bad. Definitely not something I'd consider "normal" or acceptable. Since you got it from Costco just return it and buy something else.

Edit: Apparently it looks like this is because some Samsung TVs with 10-bit panels don't employ image processing to smooth 8-bit sources (which is the majority of sources) well or at all. This means anything that isn't 4K UHD BD will probably have this noticeable. Plus the poorer the source the worse it's going to be--obviously that's the case for overall image quality but this gradient issue will also be more pronounced on lower quality encodes/overly compressed sources. This means if you employ a pirate Android device ("Kodi boxes") it will probably look extremely bad (like worse than those things normally do I mean). This is pretty stupid of Samsung though because even standard 1080p BD is still an 8-bit source and most available sources will be 8-bit as mentioned.
Thanks! I'm not sure what to do. For 1300ish is there anything else at costco that's similar or better? between tizen being shitty and the banding, it's driving me nuts :\
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2007
1298 posts
279 upvotes
Bedford
I picked up a 55" KU6290 over xmas. Not a fan. I get this 'effect' on poor sources. What I like about the TV is the fast startup and Smart TV functions. HDR is kinda useless.

I also picked up a HiSense 50cu6000, that I like a lot more. WAY Better picture. Downside is slower startup.