Computers & Electronics

Samsung raises the bar: LCD's guaranteed dead pixel free!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 1st, 2005 8:29 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2001
1323 posts

Samsung raises the bar: LCD's guaranteed dead pixel free!

Samsung Electronics announced Thursday that from Jan. 1, customers who discover defective pixels on an LCD monitor produced by the company less than six months after its purchase may have the panel replaced free of charge.

An LCD monitor is made up of hundreds of thousands of tiny pixels. Manufacturers have classified products with 10 or less defective pixels as "normal" and refused to repair or exchange them, which led to complaints from customers. Samsung added, however, that the free exchanges do not apply to customers who purchased their LCD monitors before Jan. 1.

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/0 ... =152&tid=1

Wow, that's great for consumers!
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2004
5823 posts
30 upvotes
Markham
dangit, just bought one yesterday, hahaha....

not that I have anything to worry about though, these things are amazing
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1326 upvotes
Sauga
jollyeskimo wrote:dangit, just bought one yesterday, hahaha....
I think you're still covered. The way I read it, it means that as of today if your LCD is less than 6 months old and has a dead pixel, then you can get it exchanged. So the Jan 1 date is only the date that the policy is effective, not the date by which the monitors must be purchased.
Jun 25, 2004
317 posts
73 upvotes
Rehan wrote:I think you're still covered. The way I read it, it means that as of today if your LCD is less than 6 months old and has a dead pixel, then you can get it exchanged. So the Jan 1 date is only the date that the policy is effective, not the date by which the monitors must be purchased.
Samsung added, however, that the free exchanges do not apply to customers who purchased their LCD monitors before Jan. 1
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2003
2216 posts
480 upvotes
Toronto
it's about time!
samsung lcds are really nice
my next lcd will be a samsung
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1326 upvotes
Sauga
pkthree wrote:Samsung added, however, that the free exchanges do not apply to customers who purchased their LCD monitors before Jan. 1
You don't expect me to actually fully read things myself, do you?? :o :cheesygri
Jul 11, 2003
726 posts
23 upvotes
Coquitlam
Just bought mine serveral days ago too... I'm glad I don't have any dead pixles anyways :cheesygri
Deal Guru
Sep 9, 2003
10592 posts
4839 upvotes
Burnaby
If you actually read the full press release, this is only valid in SOUTH KOREA

http://www.forbes.com/infoimaging/feeds ... 0197-.html
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2004
5823 posts
30 upvotes
Markham
Ah well, my guess is that it'll eventually make it to north american soon enough. Their LCD's are good enough for them to afford such a policy...just look at me, two 710N's and zero problems.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
Nice!
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2003
11504 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
jollyeskimo wrote:Ah well, my guess is that it'll eventually make it to north american soon enough. Their LCD's are good enough for them to afford such a policy...just look at me, two 710N's and zero problems.
That setup is badass. Can I live with you? Please? :lol:
Heatware | eBay | (Last updated 12-28-2008)
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23188 posts
2327 upvotes
Singapore
The link now says that the offer only applies in South Korea.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2004
3953 posts
18 upvotes
The next question is, when it is introduced in North America, if that will actually happen, who will end users (consumers) exchange the defective monitor with? Would consumers have to mail the monitors and wait for three weeks for one?

Based on that, I do not think the same policy will be applied here. Asian countries have high population density, and usually you do not have to go over 5 km to find a service center. However, in Canada or U.S?

Besides, even if the policy gets applied here, I would not imagine local retail computer shops allowing you to just swap one. They will definitely tell you to contact Samsung directly with their 1-800 number...
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2002
2350 posts
876 upvotes
Central Ontario
Hats off to Samsung for raising the bar!

I always found it completely unacceptable that anybody would have to live with dead/stuck pixels, especially more than one. It's about time somebody stepped up and made things right.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)