• Jan 6th, 2015 6:38 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3731 posts
1526 upvotes
Woodbridge
It's personal preference. My dad has an S4. My uncle has an S5. I have an N5. My dad was considering getting an N5 so we swapped for a week. Personally, I feel the N5 meets my needs better than the S4. But everyone is different. If a removable battery and expandable storage are important to you then go for the S4 without a doubt. If those things are less important that speedy updates and a fully stock experience, then go for the N5.

I'm sure Fido is like the other providers in that they give you 10 days to use the phone as long as you use under (100?) minutes. Try them both out for a week and see which one you prefer. It's really shocking how much time people spend trying on and comparing and mulling over a $20 t-shirt in a mall, but will buy electronics without actually trying them out. Would you buy a house without seeing it? Would you buy a car without test driving it? Same idea for a phone.
Oct 5, 2014
181 posts
26 upvotes
Desert Blume, AB
I've played with all of them and without a doubt, the HTC One GPE wins. I know it wasen't on your list, but if you could find an HTC One and convert it to the GPE, you'd be laughing.
Banned
Dec 10, 2014
9 posts
Toronto, ON
i will go to s4 ,it has good design ,and good camera ,long battery life .
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2005
3377 posts
158 upvotes
Toronto
Is anyone here running stock Android (specifically lollipop) on their S4 or S5?

If I root an S4/S5 to run stock android, will it receive OTA updates like a Nexus 5?

I prefer the hardware of an S4/S5 vs. Nexus, but the bloated samsung version of android and lack of fast OTA updates make it a no-go for now.
Jan 28, 2007
876 posts
68 upvotes
kingrukus wrote: Is anyone here running stock Android (specifically lollipop) on their S4 or S5?

If I root an S4/S5 to run stock android, will it receive OTA updates like a Nexus 5?

I prefer the hardware of an S4/S5 vs. Nexus, but the bloated samsung version of android and lack of fast OTA updates make it a no-go for now.
I run a google play edition ROM on my s4. The benefit of gpe is that it is built for the s4 by Samsung themselves as Canadian s4 is identical in hardware to gpe sold in USA. Right now the lollipop update is available and I am using it. I will never use touchwizz especially after using lollipop.

Unfortunately you cannot get ota. Technically you can get an update notification, but it is advised not to update that way because it WILL break your ROM and may cause a brick, or atleast cause you a headache. Reason is flashing a gpe ROM doesn't modify Samsung made partitions on system.

The trade off is that you still get the same 9-10 GB internal storage as you did with touchwizz, but thankfully we have SD slot for media. And camera may suffer too. But just do a little post editing or I guess live with it.

Those are not big enough issues for me. YMMV. The day I really need a great camera on my smartphone (which is a recurring urge :) ) I will switch to an iPhone instead because there isn't a stock android device yet that comes with a zero "no need to mess with me" noob friendly camera unfortunately. For that you need a skinned device.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
8584 posts
5370 upvotes
I prefer the look of the N5 & the feel of the N5 UI software
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
jetfirex2 wrote: I run a google play edition ROM on my s4. The benefit of gpe is that it is built for the s4 by Samsung themselves as Canadian s4 is identical in hardware to gpe sold in USA. Right now the lollipop update is available and I am using it. I will never use touchwizz especially after using lollipop.

Unfortunately you cannot get ota. Technically you can get an update notification, but it is advised not to update that way because it WILL break your ROM and may cause a brick, or atleast cause you a headache. Reason is flashing a gpe ROM doesn't modify Samsung made partitions on system.

The trade off is that you still get the same 9-10 GB internal storage as you did with touchwizz, but thankfully we have SD slot for media. And camera may suffer too. But just do a little post editing or I guess live with it.

Those are not big enough issues for me. YMMV. The day I really need a great camera on my smartphone (which is a recurring urge :) ) I will switch to an iPhone instead because there isn't a stock android device yet that comes with a zero "no need to mess with me" noob friendly camera unfortunately. For that you need a skinned device.
Does rooting S4 and succeeding devices almost always trip Knox and render the warranty void?
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2012
1765 posts
344 upvotes
Mississauga
alanbrenton wrote: Does rooting S4 and succeeding devices almost always trip Knox and render the warranty void?
Most of time yes. S4 is currently root-able using towelroot, which doesn't trip Knox.

However once Knox is tripped, it can not be reverted.
Your Rights as a Wireless Consumer - http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/INFO_SHT/t15.htm

An Android a day keeps the Apple away.
Dec 7, 2014
57 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
laptop-tech wrote: Thanks everyone for their input. Im inclined to get the S4, but may wait a few days to see if Fido will have a deal on the S5 just before Xmas.
Good decision!!!! Samsung S 5 is much better than nexus!!! Battery is perfect, camera is marvelous and memory card great. So you made right decision!!!!!
Jan 28, 2007
876 posts
68 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: Does rooting S4 and succeeding devices almost always trip Knox and render the warranty void?
There is a huge chance it will. I flashed gpe way back last year when 4.2.2 was latest firmware and back then I didn't have any Knox issues. After that I have only been flashing gpe updates and never bothered with touchwizz Roms especially with 4.3 when Knox became worse. Also my device is out of warranty anyways by now.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2005
3377 posts
158 upvotes
Toronto
jetfirex2 wrote: I run a google play edition ROM on my s4. The benefit of gpe is that it is built for the s4 by Samsung themselves as Canadian s4 is identical in hardware to gpe sold in USA. Right now the lollipop update is available and I am using it. I will never use touchwizz especially after using lollipop.

What benefit does a skinned device, like a regular S4 offer to the camera? I thought all the advantage was in the hardware, but I suppose not?

So I can flash GPE to any canadian S4 then?

How difficult is it to unlock an S4 such that I can swap any network's sim into it? That is the one thing I love about my Nexus 4, is that when I go to the states I swap my t-mobile sim into it without issue, and if I go overseas I suspect I wouldn't have much of an issue there as well.

Basically I am wondering if an S4 can be unlocked to the same bands/carriers that a Nexus device can work on.
Jan 28, 2007
876 posts
68 upvotes
kingrukus wrote: What benefit does a skinned device, like a regular S4 offer to the camera? I thought all the advantage was in the hardware, but I suppose not?

So I can flash GPE to any canadian S4 then?

How difficult is it to unlock an S4 such that I can swap any network's sim into it? That is the one thing I love about my Nexus 4, is that when I go to the states I swap my t-mobile sim into it without issue, and if I go overseas I suspect I wouldn't have much of an issue there as well.

Basically I am wondering if an S4 can be unlocked to the same bands/carriers that a Nexus device can work on.

- The benefit is that Samsung makes proprietary drivers and post processing software for its camera app, so the performance on touchwizz tends to outshine gpe as google sucks at that. However with lollipop we may have third party camera apps close up that gap as raw support and camera stack support comes.

- Yes you can flash the gpe to a Canadian s4. However, I believe if you use a wind/mobi device the appropriate section of XDA you go to is T-Mobile s4, and for the rest it is at&t.

- I don't know about software unlocks as I got it unlocked from an unlock provider. I believe it was mobileincanada. I am sure there are RFD members here who also provide unlock services. My s4 was originally from telus and I use it on rogers. After it is unlocked you can swap any Sim.
Banned
Jul 16, 2003
10397 posts
1468 upvotes
Toronto
Any current good deals on the S4? Im with Fido.
Andre Oliveira - Mortgage Agent
Mortgage Intelligence - FSCO# 10428
Nov 1, 2004
678 posts
66 upvotes
York
Features = S4
Performance = N5

I think S4 will last longer though once you put CM12+ when they stop supporting it and replace to new battery.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
laptop-tech wrote: Any current good deals on the S4? Im with Fido.
You're late to the party. The S4 was $0 on a Smart Plan, with from 3rd party retailers either gift cards on new activations or bill credits on renewals.

It's still listed on Fido's website but officially that ended yesterday.