Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
NCIX

Samsung S5 unlocked is for $599 at ncix

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2014 3:00 pm
Tags:
20 replies
Jul 14, 2013
20 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
I clicked on the link and noticed that it says, "4G/LTE works on Rogers / Fido / Bell , 3G works on Rogers / Fido / Telus / Bell Network." Does this mean that LTE won't work on Telus? I'd like to get one, but I need it to work on Telus.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2003
7451 posts
237 upvotes
I think you guys should hold off. Samsung over produced the S5 and they have an inventory surplus of 4 million units. Given that the S5 hasn't sold as well as the S4, I have a feeling it'll be discounted everywhere soon.
Thoughts and Prayers to the many thousands of civilians who perished from terrorists acts.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2075 posts
447 upvotes
Vancouver
Is that just the Samsung Canada inventory or worldwide inventory? If its latter then I would not really call it a surplus. Besides, Samsung is known to prefer to sell through carriers, with a plan/contract attached.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Beradon wrote: I think you guys should hold off. Samsung over produced the S5 and they have an inventory surplus of 4 million units. Given that the S5 hasn't sold as well as the S4, I have a feeling it'll be discounted everywhere soon.
I read an article recently about this too, it looks like there is going to be some discounting going on to try to get rid of the excess inventory ... and I don't expect them to take too long about it either considering how this is a rapidly depreciating type of asset.
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
buying this over the OPO is crazy

I had the S5 and it was just not as good
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
libballeng wrote: Is that just the Samsung Canada inventory or worldwide inventory? If its latter then I would not really call it a surplus. Besides, Samsung is known to prefer to sell through carriers, with a plan/contract attached.
I believe it's worldwide... but the s5 was an epic failure. It fell something like 40% short of their projected sales
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2075 posts
447 upvotes
Vancouver
Keep in mind their new line up schedule, historically the s-line is announced early spring for late spring launch. If there is excess S5 inventory, they would likely want to move it before the S6 announcement. And the best time to sell? The holiday season coming up!
Deal Expert
Oct 30, 2006
16321 posts
7966 upvotes
They still sell S3's for $300 so I wouldn't hold your breath. $0 on a 2-year will probably continue if they want to move inventory.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2003
7451 posts
237 upvotes
Viper98 wrote: buying this over the OPO is crazy

I had the S5 and it was just not as good
Just curious, what is it that you don't like about it?
Thoughts and Prayers to the many thousands of civilians who perished from terrorists acts.
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
Beradon wrote: Just curious, what is it that you don't like about it?

I don't want to say it felt sluggish....but the OPO was noticeably faster

The battery life was also pretty ho-hum with me needing to charge it during the day some days
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2003
7451 posts
237 upvotes
Viper98 wrote: I don't want to say it felt sluggish....but the OPO was noticeably faster

The battery life was also pretty ho-hum with me needing to charge it during the day some days
Oh wow that's it??? I'm not surprised but did you know it's Samsung's own crappy layer of software they add to Android that makes everything slower?

If you are familiar with rooting and flashing roms on phones you can replace the S5's OS completely with stock Android. I can guarantee your phone will be faster.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
ymw712 wrote: I clicked on the link and noticed that it says, "4G/LTE works on Rogers / Fido / Bell , 3G works on Rogers / Fido / Telus / Bell Network." Does this mean that LTE won't work on Telus? I'd like to get one, but I need it to work on Telus.

If it's a Canadian(or American) version, LTE will work just fine on Telus(Koodo and Virgin too). It is possible some non-local version exists that uses LTE on the 2600 but not 1700(Telus doens't use 2600, 1700 is the typical standard in Canada for LTE) but I do not know if such a version actually exists. Even then, most S5 are built the same so usually it is simple as flashing a file to modify the locked frequencies.

That said these sites frequently have printing errors so that's probably what it is.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2003
7451 posts
237 upvotes
reofer wrote: samsung is a failure of a company that only got to where they are by copying Apple. Now that they can't do that anymore their phones are not selling and that is to be expected.
Wrong. Samsung brought out more features that people wanted and they took away Apple's market share. The only reason they're not selling more phones is competition from other companies producing Android phones.
Jan 20, 2003
834 posts
178 upvotes
I believe this is an unlocked S5 from Europe. Check the model number.
May be this is why not saying LTE on Telus.
Friendly reminder: Signature will be removed for rule violations: font size, colour, and personal sales
Dec 2, 2007
511 posts
284 upvotes
ymw712 wrote: I clicked on the link and noticed that it says, "4G/LTE works on Rogers / Fido / Bell , 3G works on Rogers / Fido / Telus / Bell Network." Does this mean that LTE won't work on Telus? I'd like to get one, but I need it to work on Telus.
A quick bit of research says that you won't get LTE on Telus. This is definitely a European variant. I don't think flashing another radio will do the trick either.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2013
2525 posts
1046 upvotes
Burnaby
Beradon wrote: Wrong. Samsung brought out more features that people wanted and they took away Apple's market share. The only reason they're not selling more phones is competition from other companies producing Android phones.
not to mention having almost 30 different phone models released in a year. Samsung needs to trim the fat a bit.
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
reofer wrote: samsung is a failure of a company that only got to where they are by copying Apple. Now that they can't do that anymore their phones are not selling and that is to be expected.
You can't be serious

Apple has literally never innovated in the past 5 years. Every single thing they are adding to ios and iPhones is stuff that has been standard on Android for at least 1-2 years

Apple makes phones that suit 13 year old girls and senior citizens. Anyone in between with an iPhone uses it solely as a status symbol. Just like their laptops

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)