Samsung vs. Whirlpool Duet Vs. Duet Sport

Posted: Aug 2nd, 2008 11:01 pm
by The_dream2k
I am in the market for the washer dryer, I have narrowed down to the following:

Samsung --> 1400$
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... 592&catid=

Whirlpool Duet --> 1999$

and Whirlpool duet sport around 1700$

I would like some feedback on the 3, and if the duet and the duet sport have the same reliability.

Re: Samsung vs. Whirlpool Duet Vs. Duet Sport

Posted: Aug 2nd, 2008 11:12 pm
by jerryhung
I had the Duet Sports Washer & Dryer since Oct 2007, so far I loved them
I read good reviews about them when I purchased, and I think I got them for around $1500 for the pair

Note that Duet Sports is the smaller version, Whirlpool Duet has larger load size

Posted: Aug 3rd, 2008 10:19 am
by Nightwing
The_dream2k wrote: I am in the market for the washer dryer, I have narrowed down to the following:

Samsung --> 1400$

Whirlpool Duet --> 1999$

and Whirlpool duet sport around 1700$

I would like some feedback on the 3, and if the duet and the duet sport have the same reliability.
There is more than just one model for the Whirlpool products.

The Sport comes in a 8300 and a 8500

The Duet HT comes in a 9200, 9400, and a 9600 steam model.

I'm also shopping around for a washer, and from what the sales people have been telling me, the 8500 has more wash options to choose from than the 8300 along with a larger wash capacity, and therefore more money. Same for the 9000 series, the higher the number, the more options on the setting dial along with the corresponding kick to the pocketbook.

Whirlpool.ca

I'd also check if there are any incentive programs currently in place. In Manitoba, there is a $100 rebate on my Hydro Electricity bill for purchasing a Energy-Star HF washer.

Hope that helps.

Mark

P.S. I'm giving serious consideration to the LG WM2016CW. Review and reliability score is close to the 9000 Duet line but for less money. FLs seem to be a huge money grab right now due to popularity. I can't see why they would cost 3 to 4 times more than a TL

Posted: Aug 3rd, 2008 10:39 am
by Nightwing
The_dream2k wrote: I am in the market for the washer dryer, I have narrowed down to the following:

Samsung --> 1400$

As for the Samsung, Consumer reports has the following to say on thier web site
Highs
In the heavy-duty cycle, wash performance and energy efficiency were very good. Water efficiency, capacity and gentleness were excellent. This model is also relatively inexpensive. It is stackable.

Lows
This model had a cycle time of 75 minutes.

Bottom Line
Overall, this is a very good front-loader that is especially water-efficient and very gentle. But it is less energy-efficient (while very good) than some other front-loaders. It is backed by a 1-year warranty. Repair history for this brand is not known, as we lack sufficient data for earlier models.
User reviews from the same site
User Reviews Summary ( Powered by PowerReviews.com ) Print All Reviews Average User Rating:
3.9 stars
(based on 14 reviews) 79% of respondents would recommend this to a friend.
Customers most agreed on the following attributes:

Pros: Quiet(5), Large capacity(5), Good value(5), High quality(5), Energy efficient(5)
Cons: Expensive(4), None(3)
Best Uses: Everyday clothes(4), Towels(4), Athletic clothes(4), Delicates(4), Bedding(3)

Posted: Aug 3rd, 2008 11:11 am
by The_dream2k
The LG seems to be very nice and inline with the duet, I think, I am going to look around and see if I can find the duet sport or the LG for around 1500$ the pair and take one of them, if not I think the samsung is still an excellent choice.

Here in Quebec, there is a 50$ rebate as an incentive.

Also, 75 min wash cycle? I never owned a front load but is that normal?

Posted: Aug 3rd, 2008 12:11 pm
by Nightwing
The_dream2k wrote: The LG seems to be very nice and inline with the duet, I think, I am going to look around and see if I can find the duet sport or the LG for around 1500$ the pair and take one of them, if not I think the samsung is still an excellent choice.

Here in Quebec, there is a 50$ rebate as an incentive.

Also, 75 min wash cycle? I never owned a front load but is that normal?
I think there's a thread in the HOTDEALs section talking about the LG and a PM opportunity. I do believe a lower price can be had, but it may take time to uncover one in a sale. Our washer is working, just not that great, so we can afford to sit back for a little while to watch the sales.

I believe that all FL high efficiency washers have the long wash time trait. I think it mostly has to due with the low water usage.

BTW, LG has had sale promotional rebates in the past. I believe the last one for a washer was in early 2008, and was for $100 (Old Rebate - PDF). Odds are they will have another eventually. Details can be found on their WEB site. I'd check there every so often to see if they update the page.LG Canada

Consumer Reports on LG
Reviews and recommendations

Highs
In the normal cycle, wash performance and energy efficiency were very good. Water efficiency, capacity, and gentleness were excellent. This model is also relatively inexpensive. It is stackable.

Lows
This model had a cycle time of 90 minutes.

Bottom Line
Overall, this is a very good front-loader that is especially water-efficient and very gentle. But it is less energy-efficient (while very good) than some other front-loaders and has a long wash cycle. It is backed by a 1-year warranty.
User reviews.
User Reviews Summary ( Powered by PowerReviews.com ) Print All Reviews Average User Rating:
4.3 stars
(based on 23 reviews) 91% of respondents would recommend this to a friend.
Customers most agreed on the following attributes:

How long have you owned it: One-to-three months(3)
Pros: Quiet(12), Adjustable settings(12), Clean clothes well(12), Energy efficient(11), Large capacity(10)
Cons: Long cycle(6), Shakes/moves(3)
Best Uses: Everyday clothes(14), Towels(12), Bedding(10), Delicates(10), Athletic clothes(9)

Good Luck.

Mark

Posted: Aug 3rd, 2008 3:44 pm
by flexo96
I have been looking at the same Samsung set. However the Samsung website list the washer as 3.4 CUFT as opposed to the 3.6 CUFT that future shop lists.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/conte ... 63A-02.pdf

I haven't been to the store to verify this but it would be something to check if your interested in buying this set.

flexo96

Posted: Aug 3rd, 2008 3:50 pm
by The_dream2k
flexo96 wrote: I have been looking at the same Samsung set. However the Samsung website list the washer as 3.4 CUFT as opposed to the 3.6 CUFT that future shop lists.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/conte ... 63A-02.pdf

I haven't been to the store to verify this but it would be something to check if your interested in buying this set.

flexo96
The futureshop I went to did not have them on display, But I checked al other stores and they seem to be 3.4. For the price, I am very tempted in going with the samsung, 600$ ,add a bit to it and I can get a new Fridge!!!

Posted: Aug 4th, 2008 8:32 am
by robbiex1
My wife and I purchased the Whirlpool Duet 8700 or 8500s. We haven't taken delivery yet and I'm too lazy to look at the receipt. We get our new home in November so I can't comment on reliability or quality of wash.

From my research, the Whirlpool duet sports are made in Mexico while the more expensive Duets are made in Germany. We know one couple with a sport who has had problems with reliability but that's just one person and probably not a good indication of actual reliability....

Posted: Aug 4th, 2008 11:22 am
by The_dream2k
Some Duet are also made in Mexico, like the one I saw at Leon's. I was surprised as I thought they were made in Germany

Posted: Aug 4th, 2008 3:02 pm
by zaweet
For those of you looking at the Duet/Duet Sport you may want to consider the Maytag Epic/Epic Z, which are the same machines but with different packaging and temperature/speed options.

Posted: Aug 4th, 2008 4:14 pm
by Triqueux
Hi The_dream2k,
I am also looking for a similar combo (and I'm in mtl too)...

Samsung (WF203ANS) +(DV203AES)
or
LG (WM2016CW) + (DLE2516W)
or
Whirlpool Duet Sport (WFW8300SW ) + (YWED8300SW)

There is a pm opportunity for the Duet:
WFW8300SW - 899$ (sears) until Aug. 04 2008
http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B000FMZG ... =396506011
WFW8300SW - 999$ (fs)
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... atid=10741

YWED8300SW - 699$ until Aug. 04 2008
http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B000FMZG ... Brand=core
YWED8300SW - 799$
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... atid=10736

Pricematch Sears at Fs -->1568$

Best deal I could find for the moment on this set...

Does anybody knows if the duet sport is a lot better than the samsung combo?

Posted: Aug 4th, 2008 4:29 pm
by Triqueux
Another option
PM the Samsung set @ Sears --> 1358$

Posted: Aug 4th, 2008 5:00 pm
by The_dream2k
wow... need to make a choice now

Posted: Aug 4th, 2008 8:46 pm
by The_dream2k
Well, I was once again shopping, Can anyone who has access to consumer reports give me the details on the Samsung WF317AAG, its a discontinued model, but seems like it has Silver care, and direct drive motor instead of belt which I found out today could be an important factor.

thanks

Posted: Aug 4th, 2008 10:09 pm
by Nightwing
Stumbled on this.....

Not sure how large of a grain of salt you need to take with it.

[url=http://fixitnow.com/wp/2005/02/15/is-th ... th-buying/]

Posted: Aug 4th, 2008 10:21 pm
by celica00
Samsung has the direct drive motor and during my research I was told by all the salesmen that this is very important, if not the most important feature. I believe only LG and Sammy have this. Personally I hate LG so I went with the sammy337 VRT models. one word - fantastic.

The knock on the whirlpool duet was poor door opener hinges. If that makes sense? I.e. the hinges that hold the door to the unit were far superior in LG/Sammy

Posted: Aug 4th, 2008 10:24 pm
by The_dream2k
How can I know how old the model is? The one I am currently considering is the WF317AAG, I was offered the floor model along with the dryer for 1800$. It has direct drive and silver care. I know its discontinued, but how old of a model is it.

The other one is the famous WF203 which is on special for 1399$

Posted: Aug 4th, 2008 10:31 pm
by Nightwing
Found this comment about LG and Samsung... Take it for what you think it's worth.

[QUOTE]LG and Samsung are mostly coming from South Korea (the ones from North Korea tend to explode, so we don

Posted: Aug 5th, 2008 12:46 am
by hugh_da_man
I pricematched the samsungs at sears. For the price the reviews were pretty good and the options seemed to be enough. The salesman at sears pushed the samsung over the LG because he says they've been having a hard time getting replacement parts for the LGs. I usually take everything a salesman says with a grain of salt but the guy says they break as often as any other washer and they've cannabilized floor models to get parts to fix customer's appliances.