Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Newegg

SanDisk Ultra II 960GB SSD - $ 250 + $6 shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2015 12:23 am
Tags:
Nov 5, 2015
265 posts
264 upvotes
Quebec, QC

[Newegg] SanDisk Ultra II 960GB SSD - $ 250 + $6 shipping

For 20$ off the 270$ price, use coupon code : NEWEGGSAVE10 at checkout.

SanDisk Ultra II 2.5" 960GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SDSSDHII-960G-G25 for 250$ !!

550 mbs and 500 mbs for speed. Not bad for the price. Same as Samsung Evo 840.

For 480gb at 150$, thanks Eyesonne @ newegg-ca-sandisk-ultra-ii-480gb-ssd-13 ... g-1861891/.
Images
19 replies
Oct 10, 2013
438 posts
616 upvotes
Toronto, ON
dragsther2 wrote: Can someone edit this thread to add in the title : [NewEgg.ca] . Thanks, remove this edit when its done :) !
Edit --> Go Advanced
Oct 16, 2011
577 posts
403 upvotes
In another thread about this drive someone said that the Nand used in this drive is inferior to the Samsung 850 Evo? Can someone elaborate on that?
Apr 23, 2015
366 posts
332 upvotes
SillyRabbit wrote: In another thread about this drive someone said that the Nand used in this drive is inferior to the Samsung 850 Evo? Can someone elaborate on that?
It wont last as long as the Evo. So lets say this lasts you 5 years, the evo would last you 8-10. Its still a very solid drive and for the price its a no brainer. Personally, I would've jumped on this deal if I hadn't planned on buying a bunch of other things on BF
Banned
Dec 10, 2014
259 posts
85 upvotes
Chateauguay, QC
Rebellium wrote: It wont last as long as the Evo. So lets say this lasts you 5 years, the evo would last you 8-10. Its still a very solid drive and for the price its a no brainer. Personally, I would've jumped on this deal if I hadn't planned on buying a bunch of other things on BF
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8520/sand ... ssd-review

~51 years @ 20GB/day
Deal Addict
May 22, 2005
3196 posts
735 upvotes
Longevity is technically of concern, but doesn't performance (especially when dealing with large files) take a hit too?
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
Rebellium wrote: That was more of a general example. Although the same test shows a Evo 850 1TB lasting 187 years and 500GB 93 years.
"Because the P/E cycle count alone is easy to misunderstand, I put it into context that is easier to understand i.e. lifespan of the drive. All I did was multiply the user capacity by the P/E cycle count to get the total endurance, which I then used to calculate the estimated lifespan."

yeah, that's real scientific. :facepalm:

and no ssd in the history of the world has a lifetime write amplification of only 1.2X in real-world usage (he's just using PR hype). plus, when you own a 960gb drive, it's not empty from day 1 and then slowly filled up over a year - people jack that thing with games, apps, movies, images, etc. (otherwise, just buy a 120-240gb), which will raise the trim/garbage collection rates to the ceiling. look at the PR-developed lifetime for the 120gb - 5 years.. so why is the 960gb at 51 years when they are the *same* tlc memory? because the half-assed formula assumes you never actually add any games, movies, files, etc. to start filling the 960gb up, otherwise it would also have a (at 1.2X WA) a 5 year lifespan.

this guy is definitely drinking the tlc koolaid.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16640 posts
7971 upvotes
With all of this baseless paranoia you guys are missing out on a really great deal.
Oct 4, 2005
225 posts
163 upvotes
I originally bought the Samsung evo from best buy due to said paranoia and read some of the links people posted on other threads about how its better than the sand disk ultra ii. I think anandtech said it best in their review of the evo. Evo is better than ultra ii but does it warrant a premium?

It's all about your use case... For most people the sandisk is a better value than the Samsung. If you do a lot of work where you will be writing more to the drive then you should look to the evo or even the pro versions of both.

For me at these prices it doesn't warrant the price differential. It's more than likely I'd get a new drive before this one even dies.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35601 posts
18981 upvotes
Mayoo wrote: Is this SLC or TLC or MLC ?

I am right in saying SLC > MLC > TLC ?
You are right but you don't see SLC in consumer-level drives. SLC is very expensive and you'd never find an SLC drive for anything near this price. I think most "enterprise" drives are MLC these days as well with. SLC has become relatively rare and is a rather expensive commodity (3-4x the price of MLC NAND). It's not really relevant to the consumer SSD market anymore so basically all you've got to talk about is TLC and MLC. A lot of computing snobs pooh-pooh TLC but the reality for a regular user it makes basically no difference at all.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
SickBeast wrote: With all of this baseless paranoia you guys are missing out on a really great deal.
not saying it isn't but just go in with your eyes open, and not expecting it to last for 50 years or some other BS spec. tlc is inherently flaky tech, just be aware of this.

remember there is a *reason* why we're seeing all these low-end tlc-based ssds on sale - it's not a coincidence.
May 3, 2007
894 posts
478 upvotes
Thanks OP, I got the 480 GB one.
The hybrid HDD on my son's 2-year old Dell 15z just went kaput, so the timing is perfect.
It came to $162.70 after tax, with $15 off using the code NEWEGGSAVE10.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12211 posts
2948 upvotes
Besides endurance issue, there was/is also the performance degradation issue of EVO 840. Consider Samsung is the leader of flat TLC NAND SSD. I would avoid TLC based SSD altogether. The price is very tempting though.

EVO 850 uses multi-layers which supposed to compensate some of the weakness of TLC, so it worth a look if it is cheap.

http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-news/ ... available/
JackWhyte wrote: "Because the P/E cycle count alone is easy to misunderstand, I put it into context that is easier to understand i.e. lifespan of the drive. All I did was multiply the user capacity by the P/E cycle count to get the total endurance, which I then used to calculate the estimated lifespan."

yeah, that's real scientific. :facepalm:

and no ssd in the history of the world has a lifetime write amplification of only 1.2X in real-world usage (he's just using PR hype). plus, when you own a 960gb drive, it's not empty from day 1 and then slowly filled up over a year - people jack that thing with games, apps, movies, images, etc. (otherwise, just buy a 120-240gb), which will raise the trim/garbage collection rates to the ceiling. look at the PR-developed lifetime for the 120gb - 5 years.. so why is the 960gb at 51 years when they are the *same* tlc memory? because the half-assed formula assumes you never actually add any games, movies, files, etc. to start filling the 960gb up, otherwise it would also have a (at 1.2X WA) a 5 year lifespan.

this guy is definitely drinking the tlc koolaid.
Banned
Dec 10, 2014
259 posts
85 upvotes
Chateauguay, QC
ES_Revenge wrote: You are right but you don't see SLC in consumer-level drives. SLC is very expensive and you'd never find an SLC drive for anything near this price. I think most "enterprise" drives are MLC these days as well with. SLC has become relatively rare and is a rather expensive commodity (3-4x the price of MLC NAND). It's not really relevant to the consumer SSD market anymore so basically all you've got to talk about is TLC and MLC. A lot of computing snobs pooh-pooh TLC but the reality for a regular user it makes basically no difference at all.
Actually, they use SLC along with TLC (as another level of cache). Sure it makes no difference on a short term, but why risk it if it makes no difference right? Although MLC will handle big loads better..

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)