Food & Drink

Sansotei Ramen - Brief review

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2012 2:59 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2011
1127 posts
52 upvotes
Wanted to go here last night, called at 8pm to see their store hours as their website isn't up.

Turns out they ran out of broth and were closing for the night.

I was slightly irked by it, could they have not anticipated and made a little more broth? That's 2 hours of revenue lost (they close at 10pm btw.)

My party of 6 ended up going to Kinton instead. Got there at 8:30pm, seated by 8:50pm. Guess going late pays off at Kinton. No epic 60-90 minutes wait!
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2008
2858 posts
265 upvotes
Richmond Hill
M-e-X-x wrote:
Sep 25th, 2012 12:26 pm
Oh that's a huge slap to Kenzo. Aji Sen isn't even ramen to begin with.

Kinton I found was not my thing and preferred Kenzo. Even my friend who loves ramen and ate at a bunch of ramen joints in Van didn't like Kinton.

Sansotei will give it a whirl, since it's down the street from my office.
It was my first time going to Kenzo, and it will be my last.
I ordered the Sapporo miso ramen...wasn't my ideal choice in the first place because they "sold out" Tonkotsu and Tonkotsu miso ramen. When the order came in that dinky little bowl, I was shocked. The other table who ordered the spicy side of the menu had a MUCH bigger bowl. The pork was dry and small, the noodles were like spaghetti...for the price that I pay for, I rather go to Kinton.
Seriously, $9.75 for the Sapporo miso ramen...and the contents inside it aren't THAT MUCH DIFFERENT to their $6.50 ones. Why should I pay THAT much for THAT little? If I were forced to go to Kenzo's again, I would just get their bare minimum $6.50 bowls.
And really? $8 FOR GYOZA? $8!?

Kinton, on the other hand, was great for my first visit. The second visit, not really. They seem to have adjusted their soup base formula a bit so its less salty.
But the portions did not disappoint me when compared to Kenzo's. They're both priced at the same $9-10 a bowl, it's a no brainer that I would prefer Kinton =/

I will try Sansotei on Friday, I just hope that they aren't closed by the time I'm done class
Feb 17, 2004
730 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
If you didn't like the spaghetti noodles at Kenzo, you won't like them at Sansotei either.

1337rice wrote:
Oct 1st, 2012 1:59 pm
It was my first time going to Kenzo, and it will be my last.
I ordered the Sapporo miso ramen...wasn't my ideal choice in the first place because they "sold out" Tonkotsu and Tonkotsu miso ramen. When the order came in that dinky little bowl, I was shocked. The other table who ordered the spicy side of the menu had a MUCH bigger bowl. The pork was dry and small, the noodles were like spaghetti...for the price that I pay for, I rather go to Kinton.
Seriously, $9.75 for the Sapporo miso ramen...and the contents inside it aren't THAT MUCH DIFFERENT to their $6.50 ones. Why should I pay THAT much for THAT little? If I were forced to go to Kenzo's again, I would just get their bare minimum $6.50 bowls.
And really? $8 FOR GYOZA? $8!?

Kinton, on the other hand, was great for my first visit. The second visit, not really. They seem to have adjusted their soup base formula a bit so its less salty.
But the portions did not disappoint me when compared to Kenzo's. They're both priced at the same $9-10 a bowl, it's a no brainer that I would prefer Kinton =/

I will try Sansotei on Friday, I just hope that they aren't closed by the time I'm done class
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2008
9782 posts
440 upvotes
[QUOTE=iridium001;15450843
I was slightly irked by it, could they have not anticipated and made a little more broth? That's 2 hours of revenue lost (they close at 10pm btw.)
[/quote]

It takes a long time to make a broth, its not something you just whip up a small batch of. Its a new restaurant, it takes time to figure out how busy you are going to be. Kinton ran out of soup quite a few times at the start as well.
Jan 16, 2011
338 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto
Haven't been to none of 'em Ramen shops mentioned: Kinton or Sansotei. How do they compare to Niwatei in J-Town?
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2008
2858 posts
265 upvotes
Richmond Hill
K, I can't believe I'm waiting in line for this right now...Don't tell me this is an RFD effect...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
977 upvotes
N/A
1337rice wrote:
Oct 5th, 2012 12:25 pm
K, I can't believe I'm waiting in line for this right now...Don't tell me this is an RFD effect...
and the verdict?

i'm gonna have to try either kinton or sansotei next week.
haven't had an authentic bowl of japa ramen in a long long time.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2008
2858 posts
265 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ippon wrote:
Oct 5th, 2012 12:39 pm
and the verdict?

i'm gonna have to try either kinton or sansotei next week.
haven't had an authentic bowl of japa ramen in a long long time.
Just got in and ordered the tonkotsu ramen with a kirin beer. Will let you know...I'm just a bit surprised how there's a line up when a couple weeks ago there was no line up on the street. Passer-bys are wondering what's up with the line though...even Kinton didn't have a line despite waiting for like 20 minutes.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
977 upvotes
N/A
1337rice wrote:
Oct 5th, 2012 12:50 pm
Just got in and ordered the tonkotsu ramen with a kirin beer. Will let you know...I'm just a bit surprised how there's a line up when a couple weeks ago there was no line up on the street. Passer-bys are wondering what's up with the line though...even Kinton didn't have a line despite waiting for like 20 minutes.
have you seen, tampopo?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WrkdTrrwew

a must watch for any ramen fan.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2008
2858 posts
265 upvotes
Richmond Hill
^
not sure if that's really how you're supposed to eat it or they're just being pure anal in the movie(?) loll Ken-chan

anyways...verdict...

So tonkotsu ramen with a bottle of Kirin beer. Before tips, you're looking at $17 something ish, which I guess, is a pretty common price for ramen and beer nowadays.
Anyways, overboost said that I wouldn't like it because I said I didn't like the spaghetti noodles.
Let me rephrase what I meant really...Kenzo's noodles, were literally as soft as spaghetti/instant noodles, so I would just say that...it's spaghetti/instant noodles. As simple as that.

Sansotei, they used the thin and straight noodles (yes, like Kenzo's). Noodles were FIRM, just the way I like it.
The pork, even though it's not a huge slab across the bowl like Kinton, portion was enough while the balance between the meat and the fat was perfect. Tastes great too!
Soup was not salty, showed just "a bit" of thickness just to prove that it's really tonkotsu soup. Some users have complained that the soup wasn't hot enough, I find it to be just fine. Wouldn't kill if it was hotter though :)
F*** yeah, $9.25 and you get a WHOLE SOFT BOILED EGG. DO YOU SEE THIS KENZO? ONE WHOLE EGG...NOT HALF :facepalm:
I do wish that they didn't use black fungus (just my personal dislike), but I still ate it all and finished the whole bowl (Do they have Sansotei bowler? :cheesygri )

The wait...well...it was a Friday, at 12:30pm. Got in about 15 minutes because I went alone.
The place is probably about 1/2 the size of Kinton, the mirrors made the place look bigger that I thought it was (looking out from the window).

Would I go again? Yeah I will. I want to try their chilled ramen since the price doesn't look too shabby.
Would I prefer this over Kinton? It depends on my mood...they're both great places, but not to the point where I would prefer one over the other. Yet. :)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2008
9782 posts
440 upvotes
yeah there have been solid lineups the entire last week
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
3737 posts
2273 upvotes
Toronto
Not as good as Kinton IMO. I would say it's somewhere in between Kenzo and Kinton.

Tried the tonkotsu and tonkotsu shoyu ramen. I liked the soupbase. Didn't like the pork they had which was thinnly sliced. Portion was not enough for me, smaller than Kintons.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
8014 posts
649 upvotes
Toronto
1337rice: A co-worker and I were actually there the Friday as well. We probably left right around the time you got in. Looks like you were sitting at the booth (2 girls were sitting there when we were there).

If you just miss the first seating (opens at 11), it'll take a bit longer to get a seat since 1st cover always takes the longest before service and customers start rotating more efficiently.

I had the tonkotsu as well, as did my co-worker but with extra noodles. I haven't tried Kinton so can't really compare, but I pretty much agree with your review. I wished they had the 'curly' noodles instead of the straight spaghetti kind.

Extra noodles literally double the size of the noodles so make sure you're hungry if you order. My co-worker who can generally eat alot even had difficulty near the end, more so because the noodles were pretty firm. All in all, a solid place that put together a cohesive dish, but not something that I'll be craving for consistently.
May 22, 2007
707 posts
49 upvotes
There seems to be a lot of complaints of the noodles used at these ramen establishments. so how does authentic ramen look like? spaghetti like noodles? wavy like instant noodles?
Nov 5, 2005
332 posts
7 upvotes
Markham
We went to Sansotei around 5:45pm last Friday and there was already a line about 10 people deep. We've tried Kinton (no real complaints) and Momofuku (highly overrated and we were not expecting much from this outpost) and both agreed that Sansotei is the best one we've had (ordered the Tonkotsu and Tonkotsu Shoyu). The portions are smaller (2 slivers of pork belly) and less noodles than the others but the soup and noodle texture were excellent. We decided to add extra pork belly and noodles for one of the bowls and it was more than enough for a dinner portion. The Zangi (deep fried chicken cutlets) at $4.50 are a little overpriced but we wanted to try it and probably wouldn't order them again and just stick to ramen.
× < >