• May 28th, 2010 3:41 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
5893 posts
42 upvotes

SATA connection question

My mobo has 2 sata ports, one is used for hdd and the other to the dvd drive. furthermore, there is a power sata connecting hdd to dvd. I unplugged my sata cables (power and data) from the dvd and plugged them into another hdd. My pc crashes. If i boot it, it asks for boot disk as if my pc's original hdd is not still working as it should.

I can understand that my pc will crash if i unplug the pc's hdd, but i did this to the dvd drive. how can i get my other hdd to work via sata?
13 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
12603 posts
3028 upvotes
Richmond Hill
You have to set the original hard drive as the first boot disk in boot priorities.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
5893 posts
42 upvotes
can you point out how to make my additional hdd to work via sata

i'm a noob when it comes to this but this is my configuration:

Main
Sata 1: DVD
Sata 2: HDD

Boot
1st: HDD
2nd: Removable Device
3rd: DVD

what order, or which ones do i have to disable so that i can use the SATA for something else without crashing?
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4405 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
> I can understand that my pc will crash if i unplug the pc's hdd, but i did this to the dvd drive.

You want to hot swap SATA drives?

You need the correct SATA controller drivers installed, namely AHCI ones, as well as change the SATA settings in the BIOS (from IDE compatible -> AHCI).

Best solution: get a PCI/PCIe SATA controller card, so you can add more devices without playing switcheroo (assuming that you have a free slot in your computer, of course). Cost: $10-20 @ http://www.dealextreme.com
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
5893 posts
42 upvotes
i basically want to access the HDD of my xbox360. i don't intend to always be doing this and i see people online do it so easily, just unplug and plug with no problems.

it seems as if i cannot unplug my satas and have my pc operate normally, i am thinking it just needs to be reconfigured in boot but i dunno how.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
5893 posts
42 upvotes
i don't get why i cannot unplug the sata from the dvd drive, especially when i am not using it. i want to simply use that sata cable so that i can access an xbox 360 hdd for literally 10 mins. that is why i think it's a matter of configuration maybe
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4405 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Yeah, it's just one or two BIOS settings, all of which relates to boot order.

It would have saved time if you mentioned what you wanted to do (regarding Xbox) in the original post.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
5893 posts
42 upvotes
can someone help me further. i have posted up my BIOS and BOOT configuration above
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Wait a minute.
Are you hot unplugging your DVD/HDD?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
5893 posts
42 upvotes
does that mean unplugging while pc is on? i'm not familiar with the term.

what should i be doing?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
5893 posts
42 upvotes
when turning off pc, changing sata plugs from dvd to the xbox360 hdd, and booting pc.. i get an error. nothing loads, requests for boot drive or boot disc.

i get into bios, and sata ports as mentioned in my other post are not recognizing any devices. do i need to set boot configuration ahead of time? if so, how should i do it?

currently:
Main
Sata 1: DVD
Sata 2: HDD

Boot
2nd: Removable Device
3rd: DVD
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
5893 posts
42 upvotes
i just purchased a 10$ sata 2.5" hdd enclosure to usb.
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4405 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Boot

Since you (will) have two HDDs installed, you need to go to another part of the settings to select which HDD.

If you don't want to bother with that, just swap HDD connections. By default, it would probably choose the one connected to SATA 0, which used to be your DVD drive.