• Sep 11th, 2010 8:01 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 17, 2009
251 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto

Satisfaction guaranteed by refund or exchange - Walmart private brands

Walmart's return policy has been discussed here many times. My specific question is about its store brands, such as Great Value, Equate, Sam's Choice, as well as other products labeled 'Imported for Walmart Stores Inc.'

All of them carry the same message on the packaging - "Satisfaction guaranteed by refund or exchange", some Great Value products have more text to the tune 'We are so sure that you'll love it...etc.etc' with a 800 number

Are these subject to the same return policy as the products that are not labeled "Satisfaction guaranteed by refund or exchange" or are they a special case, unconditionally guaranteed, as for example are No Name and President's Choice products?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
184 upvotes
Surrey
vlasko29 wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2010 8:00 pm
Are these subject to the same return policy as the products that are not labeled "Satisfaction guaranteed by refund or exchange" or are they a special case, unconditionally guaranteed, as for example are No Name and President's Choice products?
Why don'cha phone the 1-800 number and ask? :lol:
Jun 29, 2009
147 posts
10 upvotes
When i worked there, we were required to take back any equate brand product for any reason, anytime, no questions asked. A customer could return a nearly empty bottle of equate vitamins and we were required to refund/exchange it regardless of reason or how long ago they bought it.

That was nearly 4 years ago, so things may of changed. It was pretty ridiculous back then, was once force by a manager to refund a bottle of equate sleeping pills a customer wanted to return because "they made him drowsy".
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5833 posts
502 upvotes
London
Euroae wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2010 9:55 pm
When i worked there, we were required to take back any equate brand product for any reason, anytime, no questions asked. A customer could return a nearly empty bottle of equate vitamins and we were required to refund/exchange it regardless of reason or how long ago they bought it.

That was nearly 4 years ago, so things may of changed. It was pretty ridiculous back then, was once force by a manager to refund a bottle of equate sleeping pills a customer wanted to return because "they made him drowsy".
That is AWESOME.. lol...
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1958 upvotes
Well if it says "Satisfaction guaranteed by refund or exchange", then that is what I would expect. They should take the product back, no questions asked. Most stores have this with store brand products.

The few times I have returned something (not at Walmart), I haven't had any problems. I even bought Master Choice crackers at Food Basics and exchanged them at Metro because it was much closer. They were so stale that you could smell it when you opened the package. I called the number on the package and was told I could return them to any store that carried Master Choice products.

I did have issues returning Rexall women's razors that had a satisfaction guarantee on them. Eventually they gave the refund but I had to stand firm and demand a manager. Even with the manager I had to keep reading out the satisfaction guarantee of the package to her. The razors were such poor quality that they ripped up my legs. I use similar No Name and Life Brand razors with no such problem. I only got my refund after refusing to leave without it and making sure every customer knew that they didn't stand behind their products despite the guarantee on the package. I have never purchased another Rexall product.
[OP]
Nov 17, 2009
251 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
OK, after some calls I managed to get them to honour it as an exception to their standard returns policy.

However, and to the question of "why not just call and ask?", it felt like a definite YMMV. The level of competency at the Walmart 800 number varies tremendously, including some who are not only less than well-informed, but also prone to creative thinking and all-too eager to apply their version of common sense to a situation where clear guidelines should be in place, as they are at other stores offering private brand merchandise.

So my conclusion is, while chances are you may succeed, it probably won't be without an effort. They do not appear to have a separate return policy for private brand items.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5137 posts
49 upvotes
I think for PC anyways it is not unconditional but really 30 days.
I remember I tried to return a food item I hated (goat cheese tarts,frozen item) and was told it is only 30 days and you needed your receipt and had to go to the store you got it from.... :mad:

The store I git it from was not near me, so ended up giving away 3/4 of the package (only cooked a small part of it).

Shoppers, they also toldme the same thing "30 days with receipt" but at any store.

I think if they are going to have such rules they should put that on their site.
It is not like LL Bean return an item anytime-I had a problem w a fleece I bought a year earlier and had not gotten around to returning it (was not worn just sitting at home.....) no problems at all with that company.
[OP]
Nov 17, 2009
251 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
Well, food returns are in general tricky, and I think most people would only do this either if the item is sealed and untouched, or, as in your case, it just completely doesn't agree with them.

Having said that, no, PC is not 30 days and no receipt is required. Just have them show you their newly invented rule in writing - they won't, because it doesn't exist. Now that doesn't mean I am going to bring back a half-eaten can of tuna, but I must say having mistakenly bought "flaked" instead of "solid", I was tempted. It was nasty. If it wasn't opened I would have certainly done it without hesitation.

As far as SDM is concerned, I can only say that their return policy now is I think 3 pages long, and I still haven't figured out why I would ever shop there.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1958 upvotes
The current Walmart flyer mentions the Satisfaction Gurantee on Great Value products. It states:
Satisfaction Guranteed

We're sure you'll love these products as much as we do. But, if for any reason you're not satisfied, we'll refund your money or give you a replacement product free.
Based on this, I would expect a refund or replacement, no questions asked.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5137 posts
49 upvotes
vlasko29 wrote:
Aug 25th, 2010 11:07 pm
Well, food returns are in general tricky, and I think most people would only do this either if the item is sealed and untouched, or, as in your case, it just completely doesn't agree with them.

Having said that, no, PC is not 30 days and no receipt is required. Just have them show you their newly invented rule in writing - they won't, because it doesn't exist. Now that doesn't mean I am going to bring back a half-eaten can of tuna, but I must say having mistakenly bought "flaked" instead of "solid", I was tempted. It was nasty. If it wasn't opened I would have certainly done it without hesitation.

As far as SDM is concerned, I can only say that their return policy now is I think 3 pages long, and I still haven't figured out why I would ever shop there.

Shoppers has some good store brand food.

the Native blue organic corn chips are really good! and on sale a lot
the price for maple syrup is really good- it is $5 for some in a glass jar this week! everywhere else that is usually $8+
I use a lot of maple syrup for stuff so watch the prices.
Nativa organic also has some good sanwich cookies, and they even have those European syrup waffels much cheaper than the german grocery I go to!
× < >