Personal Finance

Save 3c / litre at Petro Canada when you link your RBC Credit/Debit card (+ 20% more Petro Points)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 3:52 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 7, 2017
20 posts
7 upvotes

Petro partner with RBC updates

https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/petro-cana ... tro-canada

Thanks for Stopping By

Come back to visit on October 31, when you’ll be able to link your Petro-Points card to your eligible RBC debit or credit cards to instantly save 3¢ per litre on fuel and earn 20% more Petro-Points on qualifying purchases made at Petro-Canada. Linked RBC Rewards credit card holders will also receive 20% more RBC Rewards points on their purchases.

Until October 30, RBC clients who pay for their Petro-Canada fuel purchases with any RBC credit card will instantly save 2¢ per litre on fuel. For more details on the 2¢ per litre fuel savings offer click here.

Come back on October 31 to link your cards.
96 replies
Oct 22, 2015
566 posts
133 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
How did you get to that offer?
Mar 23, 2004
36361 posts
3293 upvotes
Markham
Well, have to say that's pretty tempting.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Oct 22, 2015
566 posts
133 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
I'm not that familiar with the Petro points but I understand RBC rewards is pretty useless. Is this a really good deal?
I can see if it's $1 per liter of gas it's 3%which is not bad.
Mar 3, 2005
613 posts
264 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks @Captainlin for posting the update

I don't find the RBC rewards program all that compelling generally; maybe others do.

For gas - I'll stick with PC Financial MC WE at the gas bar at Loblaws (for 4c/L off at the pump plus 3% off on the charge to the MC).

If I'm not close to the Loblaws Gas Bar, I can get 4% Travel Credit/Cashback on my Scotia Amex/Scotia Momentum Inf.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1798 posts
475 upvotes
Vancouver
With Amex Cobalt, I buy Petro gift cards at grocery stores and get 5% back. Is this RBC program better?
😎 Fido $55/6GB Loyalty Pulse Plan: 6GB, Unltd Canadian LD, Unltd Global Texting, 1000 Intl LD Minutes, Data Bytes, Fido Roam, Spotify... 😄
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1340 posts
554 upvotes
Newton Brook, ON
Alright, I figure the value is according to this formula:

(0.03+(C-0.03)*0.012+0.002)/C

...for a no-fee rewards visa, where C is cost per liter.

With a best case scenario of 95 cents per liter, this is about 4.5%. That's combining the value from the discount and rewards.

RBC Rewards can be redeemed at 2500 = $25 Amazon gift card, so the Visa basically gives 1%, and 1.2% with the 20% bonus. The 20% Petro Points bonus gives an additional 2 PP per liter, worth 0.2 cents (1000 PP = $1 off gas).

After the discount you pay $0.92 per liter and get 1.2% x $0.92 in rewards and $0.002 in PP. Total value = 0.04304 off 0.95 = 4.53%.

With a worst case of $1.30 per liter, 3.63%.
Last edited by nmclean on Oct 19th, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You need someone with an umbrella not a fork
Jan 19, 2017
456 posts
124 upvotes
EdisonL299 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 4:48 pm
With Amex Cobalt, I buy Petro gift cards at grocery stores and get 5% back. Is this RBC program better?
And what do you purchase with your Petro Can gift cards?
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
3172 posts
439 upvotes
GTEH!
Captainlin wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 9:01 pm
https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/petro-cana ... tro-canada

Thanks for Stopping By

Come back to visit on October 31, when you’ll be able to link your Petro-Points card to your eligible RBC debit or credit cards to instantly save 3¢ per litre on fuel and earn 20% more Petro-Points on qualifying purchases made at Petro-Canada. Linked RBC Rewards credit card holders will also receive 20% more RBC Rewards points on their purchases.

Until October 30, RBC clients who pay for their Petro-Canada fuel purchases with any RBC credit card will instantly save 2¢ per litre on fuel. For more details on the 2¢ per litre fuel savings offer click here.

Come back on October 31 to link your cards.
From this information it doesn't sound like there will be a "special" Petro Canada credit card form RBC. Like the partnership Petro had with CIBC, dedicated card.
Now to apply for the "best" RBC Credit card for my purposes & usage.
😎
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1798 posts
475 upvotes
Vancouver
ml88888888 wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 6:49 am
And what do you purchase with your Petro Can gift cards?
Gas lol
😎 Fido $55/6GB Loyalty Pulse Plan: 6GB, Unltd Canadian LD, Unltd Global Texting, 1000 Intl LD Minutes, Data Bytes, Fido Roam, Spotify... 😄
Jan 19, 2017
456 posts
124 upvotes
EdisonL299 wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 10:03 am
Gas lol
I am assuming you buy the gas gift cards from a grocery store first because you get less cash back using your AMEX card at a gas station, right?
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1798 posts
475 upvotes
Vancouver
ml88888888 wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 7:05 pm
I am assuming you buy the gas gift cards from a grocery store first because you get less cash back using your AMEX card at a gas station, right?
Yes. Buy Petro gift cards at grocery stores and get 5x MR points.
Nov 22, 2008
207 posts
19 upvotes
I didn't know this was going to be an ongoing thing and only a limited time partnership. I'm actually pretty happy RBC is doing this with petro cause I bank with one and gas up at the other.

Question is now to use my Costco card for or just my RBC cards for this.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
1656 posts
678 upvotes
Iqaluit, NT
Webhead wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 9:59 am
From this information it doesn't sound like there will be a "special" Petro Canada credit card form RBC. Like the partnership Petro had with CIBC, dedicated card.
Now to apply for the "best" RBC Credit card for my purposes & usage.
I think it is a smart move. Both Petro-Points and Esso Xtra are not very compelling loyalty schemes to begin with, let alone getting a credit card based on them, so there was very little uptake to purchase gasoline at both Petro-Canada and Esso respectively or getting the credit cards that CIBC and RBC had offered previously. Petro-Canada partnering with RBC in this matter now attracts people to buy their gas at Petro Canada regardless of whether they have the Petro-Points card, earns them other points they might prefer (eg. Avion etc.) and then gives another incentive to join Petro-Points at the same time. Esso while not as comprehensive, has partnered with PC Mastercard with extra points, and 2c off (in points) as well.

Petro-Canada I think made a great move.
Support your local Credit Union! PM for different options available!