Personal Finance

Save 3c / litre at Petro Canada when you link your RBC Credit/Debit card (+ 20% more Petro Points)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 3:52 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 2, 2008
202 posts
114 upvotes
Penticton
Thanks OP. Very easy to sign-up.
Cjohnson202 wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 11:28 am
This is great. The 2 cent promotion ends today for RBC card holders.
I didn't realize this. Thanks for the heads-up!
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2008
13428 posts
4236 upvotes
Gatineau
Other ways to save...

djino
Mar 2, 2011
160 posts
13 upvotes
Gloucester
hmmm decisions, so my CIBC card gives me 4% cashback on all gas purchases, so to have a fair comparison, lets say gas is $1/L. Right off the bat, i get 4% cashback plus 2 cents off from my fuel savings card for a total for 6cents off per liter plus my petro points which i swipe that as well. RBC is doing 3 cents off, and again i can get off additional 2 cents off with my fuel savings card, plus petro points, I mean i dont have much of an incentive to go rbc unless they do 5cents off with the rb card, am i breaking this down right? or am i looking at it wrong?
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1787 posts
474 upvotes
Vancouver
Is it better than Amex Cobalt 5x MR? (Gift cards)
😎 Fido $55/6GB Loyalty Pulse Plan: 6GB, Unltd Canadian LD, Unltd Global Texting, 1000 Intl LD Minutes, Data Bytes, Fido Roam, Spotify... 😄
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2008
13428 posts
4236 upvotes
Gatineau
pardesi_bhai wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 12:36 pm
hmmm decisions, so my CIBC card gives me 4% cashback on all gas purchases, so to have a fair comparison, lets say gas is $1/L. Right off the bat, i get 4% cashback plus 2 cents off from my fuel savings card for a total for 6cents off per liter plus my petro points which i swipe that as well. RBC is doing 3 cents off, and again i can get off additional 2 cents off with my fuel savings card, plus petro points, I mean i dont have much of an incentive to go rbc unless they do 5cents off with the rb card, am i breaking this down right? or am i looking at it wrong?
You should ignore the fuel savings card because that can be used with any method of payment, so its not relevant to your comparison.

Average Gas price for your area right now (Gloucester) is 117.9 / litre.

4% Cashback = 4.72 c cashback per litre as is what you would receive by paying with your CIBC. Note that you are also paying a $99 annual fee for the CIBC Dividend Infinite Visa

RBC Rewards+ Visa (1% back in RBC Rewards points no annual fee). This translates into a 3c / litre Instant savings + 1.18c / litre savings in RBC Rewards Points (=4.18c / litre total + 20% more Petro Points - with no credit card annual fee)

djino
Jul 23, 2010
360 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
Nice, the 2 cent promo was ending today. I guess the partnership makes it a permanent perk now at 3 cents plus more reward points.
Mar 10, 2012
230 posts
243 upvotes
PEACHLAND
Thanks OP, looks like I'm getting gas at Petro-Can from here on out!
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2008
13428 posts
4236 upvotes
Gatineau
EdisonL299 wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 12:58 pm
Is it better than Amex Cobalt 5x MR? (Gift cards)
Note
- Amex Cobalt has a $10/month fee with 5% back in Points on Gas purchases.
- RBC Rewards+ Visa has no annual fees with 1% back in Points on Gas purchases.

You also need to take into account Gas prices. The Canadian average this afternoon is $1.20 /litre.

Amex Cobalt would provide 6c / litre back in points
RBC Rewards+ Visa would provide an "instant savings" of 3c /litre + 1.2c / litre in RBC Points for a total of 4.2c / litre + 20% extra Petro Points.

Ignoring the other benefits of the Amex Cobalt and ignore the extra 20% PEtro Points given by using RBC, you would need to pump over 555 litres in a month for you to benefit with the Amex cobalt over the RBC Rewards+ when pumping gas at Petro Canada.

djino
Jul 20, 2009
529 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
djino wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 12:59 pm
You should ignore the fuel savings card because that can be used with any method of payment, so its not relevant to your comparison.

4% Cashback = 4.72 c cashback per litre as is what you would receive by paying with your CIBC. Note that you are also paying a $99 annual fee for the CIBC Dividend Infinite Visa

RBC Rewards+ Visa (1% back in RBC Rewards points no annual fee). This translates into a 3c / litre Instant savings + 1.18c / litre savings in RBC Rewards Points (=4.18c / litre total + 20% more Petro Points - with no credit card annual fee)

djino
Nice breakdown! I think the RBC offering is better for most because the $99 takes a long time to claw back and with the RBC you get the 20% bonus Petro. I wonder what amount of spending you need to make the 99$ worth it
Oct 17, 2017
2 posts
The 20% partner bonuses do stack. I have my CAA and HBC linked and get 40%.
Jan 15, 2010
291 posts
92 upvotes
Very badly designed website.

It kept telling me my petro points number is invalid, even though I directly copied the number from petro points account page.

Now it no longer allows me to input petro points, instead, it asks me to go petro point website to confirm the number.

I did, and I got forward back to RBC website, which asks me go back to petro point again to confirm the number.

So it bounces me between two websites for nothing.

EDIT: It works on PC with Firefox, but not on Android with Chrome.
Jan 19, 2017
456 posts
124 upvotes
2017PD wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 1:57 pm
The 20% partner bonuses do stack. I have my CAA and HBC linked and get 40%.
I link all 3 cards More Rewards®, CAA Ontario, BCAA or Hudson’s Bay Rewards™ card and I only get 40% more. I called Petro Can and they said you don't get the 20% bonus for More Rewards card.
Mar 23, 2004
36357 posts
3289 upvotes
Markham
djino wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 12:59 pm

djino
Good breakdown, but I think i will stick with my TD Infinite CB FYF @ 3% for now as I dont use RBC rewards points at all.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」