• Jan 20th, 2019 7:57 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3227 posts
773 upvotes
Oshawa

Save electricity in the winter by using Coldroom or Cold Cellar

I recently re-did my entire coldroom ... pretty spacious! 6' Deep ... 7' Wide ... 7' Height ...

With shelving done ... ample room ... even to store your seldom used cookware ... your foldable lawn chairs ...

This is a perfect place to put your leftovers (instead of putting it in the fridge) ESPECIALLY in the winter time ... uses ABSOLUTELY ZERO electricity ...

GOSH! It's even colder than my fridge! 0°C!!!

Keep the beer/white wine/sake in there and along with your pop and bottled water. PERFECT!

IMG_20190118_175831.jpg
IMG_20190118_180230.jpg
IMG_20190118_180247.jpg
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
9 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10462 posts
4665 upvotes
Brampton
For an area thats going to see a bunch of temp changes and humidity I wouldn't have gone wood shelving. I hope you made sure you put some kind of vapor barrier material between the foot of the shelves and the concrete and made sure to not put the wood direct to the concret walls.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7419 posts
2655 upvotes
Markham
tebore wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 9:15 am
For an area thats going to see a bunch of temp changes and humidity I wouldn't have gone wood shelving. I hope you made sure you put some kind of vapor barrier material between the foot of the shelves and the concrete and made sure to not put the wood direct to the concret walls.
Well that's just great....where were you when he started this project.

No worries on the wood IMO. I have wood shelving in my garage and it's still there and it's likely over 20 yrs old. At this point just enjoy it and if there's some deterioration, just replace as needed when the time comes.

I'd say don't use that space as a refrigerator per se because when them temps warm up, you gotta move everything back to the fridge and oooops my fridge ain't that big.

Good job BTW.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3227 posts
773 upvotes
Oshawa
tebore wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 9:15 am
My mom's double garage (from 1988) has had a massive shelf all built out of wood by my late father, 30 years now .... not one stud rotted or worn out.

My mom's cold cellar in the basement has also had wooden shelving ... my late father put that in ... and nothing is wrong with the wood for 30 years.

Vapour barrier material is a great idea ... but not necessary ... most people my just buy those plastic shelves from Canadian Tire/Walmart and shove them into the room anyway ...
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3227 posts
773 upvotes
Oshawa
gr8dlr wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 11:06 am
I'd say don't use that space as a refrigerator per se because when them temps warm up, you gotta move everything back to the fridge and oooops my fridge ain't that big.

Good job BTW.
Thanks ... it did take some time and a bit of old school paper and pen. Drawings to see how to really "maximize" the use of space. I don't like wasted corners, etc.

Anyhow .... the fridge aspect ... what I really meant was that for example my wife made a large pot of soup ... what we can't finish (normally in the summer would go into the fridge) ... but since it is winter, no need to pour into containers ... just put the entire pot in the coldroom overnight. The next day and bring it back out and onto the stove and warm it up ... and you got soup!

Not really really using the coldroom as a fridge ... because like you said ... you may run into serious issues ... hahahahahahaha

Keeping White Wine / Beer / Sake / Vodka / Rum / Soju / Whiskey in the coldroom would be excellent at these temperatures ...

I need to monitor the temperature as it warms up ... I'm not really sure how warm it gets (but I think something like around 12°C or so ... so summer time it's mainly for the canned goods and not really for leftovers.

The shelves or extra shelving which I can still add to it would work best for rarely used (maybe once a year) pots / pans / kitchenware / cookingware so that way you have more room in the kitchen for the ones normally used.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2176 posts
741 upvotes
Mississauga
Old picture of mine. Built over 10 years ago,

Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10462 posts
4665 upvotes
Brampton
There's a difference between a garage and a cold cellar. Wicking is a serious problem for organic materials and below grade. The vapour pressures are significantly different.

Garages get way more airflow than your typical cold cellar. Just make sure your vents aren't blocked.

Either way I was just trying to help you prevent a future mold problem.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3227 posts
773 upvotes
Oshawa
bubuski wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 12:54 pm
Old picture of mine. Built over 10 years ago,
Love it ... how is the shelves holding up? It looks like the thin 3/8" plywood right?

I like how you have a stud at the top ... maximizing space.
tebore wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 12:56 pm
There's a difference between a garage and a cold cellar. Wicking is a serious problem for organic materials and below grade. The vapour pressures are significantly different.
Garages get way more airflow than your typical cold cellar. Just make sure your vents aren't blocked.
Either way I was just trying to help you prevent a future mold problem.
Thanks for the advice.

My mom's coldroom ... smaller than mine ... has a small circular vent that doesn't give the greatest airflow (my coldroom's air circulation is much better) ... also wooden shelves from floor up ... it also has a sewage backup emergency hole there (which I don't understand why) ... but it's 30 years now ... and absolutely no sign of mold ...

If mold was to grow ... it would have grown by now ... over a quarter century ... so based on that proof and design, I gotta admit, the concern about vapour is absolutely redundant ...
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10462 posts
4665 upvotes
Brampton
AV-Fishing wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 1:37 pm
Love it ... how is the shelves holding up? It looks like the thin 3/8" plywood right?

Thanks for the advice.

My mom's coldroom ... smaller than mine ... has a small circular vent that doesn't give the greatest airflow (my coldroom's air circulation is much better) ... also wooden shelves from floor up ... it also has a sewage backup emergency hole there (which I don't understand why) ... but it's 30 years now ... and absolutely no sign of mold ...

If mold was to grow ... it would have grown by now ... over a quarter century ... so based on that proof and design, I gotta admit, the concern about vapour is absolutely redundant ...
My last reply to this thread.

I don't understand your comment.

I will explain the logic to it tho.

It's not redundant. It's to keep wood from wicking water up from the foundation. it's commonly done when you use wooden headers to finish a basement. It's not so much of a problem with inorganic material or none water permeable material like plastic shelves.
A final point, it's actually code to use a sill plate gasket/6mm poly (VB) when using wood headers in ontario because building sciences knew it was a problem.

You can actually see in bubuski's picture there's very minor efflorescence on the shelf legs. The issue isn't going to affect every house the same way all dependent on a number of factors. Keeping the cold cellar well ventilated and dry will help greatly.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2176 posts
741 upvotes
Mississauga
tebore wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 2:07 pm
My last reply to this thread.

I don't understand your comment.

I will explain the logic to it tho.

It's not redundant. It's to keep wood from wicking water up from the foundation. it's commonly done when you use wooden headers to finish a basement. It's not so much of a problem with inorganic material or none water permeable material like plastic shelves.
A final point, it's actually code to use a sill plate gasket/6mm poly (VB) when using wood headers in ontario because building sciences knew it was a problem.

You can actually see in bubuski's picture there's very minor efflorescence on the shelf legs. The issue isn't going to affect every house the same way all dependent on a number of factors. Keeping the cold cellar well ventilated and dry will help greatly.
Went to double check and it a crappy paint job not efflorescence .

With the vent constantly exchanging air the cold room it is more of an exterior space like a garage. The door is insulated with VB on the basement side of the shared wall.
AV-Fishing wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 1:37 pm

Previous owner actually built it. Far right is 3/8", Center 3/4". Pretty sure the small shelfs on the left are 1/4". My guees it left over wood from the massive shelf that was built in the garage. It extends from the wall and the front end my vehicle up to windshield drives under it.