• Aug 27th, 2010 10:37 am
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9827 posts
2968 upvotes
Ottawa
Webby wrote:
Mar 19th, 2007 5:57 am
Not to cause any kind of heated discussion, but I would just like to add that the Government of Canada did post a job opening for additional Passport Officers. I believe the application deadline was back in September 2006.

Edited to add that a google search shows another "Passport Officer" posting with closing date March 16, 2007. So I'm confident to say that there has been an attempt made to increase staff at the passport offices.

Nevertheless, give online application a try. Save everyone some time and $$$ parking. Thanks OP!
That's how i got my job at the Office, by applying on the Internet, everything (tests, interviews, references check) took about 4 months (there were about 1,000 people vying for 100 positions at the time if I remember well)

You can't blame the government for everything, it's not the most efficiently-run organization in the world, i never argue that; however if each and every one of you does what you are supposed to do then the world would be a better place.

If you *wait* until you *have to* go outside Canada to apply for a passport then wel my friend, you have more problems to deal with than just the government.

Just my $0.02
[removed]
Mar 10, 2005
128 posts
Welland
help...I have been waiting almost one year from applying online for a replacement birth certificate. Need a passport ASAP...are they going to accept this replacement anyway, as the website says "original" birth certificate. Anyone able to use other documentation...Canadaian born citizen.
Please offer any advice....and ...don't beleive the gov't website for "quick and easy" for the birth certificate. Need passport now by Mar 28 for employment.
May 10, 2006
352 posts
4 upvotes
I went in yesterday and was told mine would be mailed on April 2nd. Two weeks.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6566 posts
164 upvotes
Vancouver
fasth wrote:
Mar 20th, 2007 2:11 pm
help...I have been waiting almost one year from applying online for a replacement birth certificate. Need a passport ASAP...are they going to accept this replacement anyway, as the website says "original" birth certificate. Anyone able to use other documentation...Canadaian born citizen.
Please offer any advice....and ...don't beleive the gov't website for "quick and easy" for the birth certificate. Need passport now by Mar 28 for employment.
If your replacement bc is an official bc you won't have any problems. Chances are that you probably won't get your passport on time but they do have some provisions in case of emergencies (for an added fee).
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2006
1090 posts
29 upvotes
A question for anyone who can help?

When applying online, at the time of printing, how many pages should you have 5 or 6 or 7?

I'm having a hell of a time printing them so that they look right.

Any suggestions?
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1218 upvotes
Sauga
fogo wrote:
Mar 25th, 2007 11:09 am
A question for anyone who can help?

When applying online, at the time of printing, how many pages should you have 5 or 6 or 7?

I'm having a hell of a time printing them so that they look right.

Any suggestions?
I've tried printing using IE 6, IE 7, and Firefox...none of them came out right. I had to use Netscape to print it properly. I used Netscape 7.2, which you can download from http://browser.netscape.com/ns8/download/archive72x.jsp
Mar 6, 2007
74 posts
Got through everything ok until I tried to print, can't get the settings right. I also tried downloading netscape, still not correct...any suggestions anyone?
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2677 posts
510 upvotes
karenb wrote:
Mar 26th, 2007 1:47 pm
Got through everything ok until I tried to print, can't get the settings right. I also tried downloading netscape, still not correct...any suggestions anyone?
I had the same problems, but I just adjusted the print settings to fit everything.
Mar 6, 2007
74 posts
Yeah, I've been fiddling with the settings but just can't get them right. Anyone have settings that they used that works? Specific settings?
BTW, thanks for all the detailed info from everyone!
It's been a big help so far!
Mar 6, 2007
74 posts
Auggh! Stil can't get the printer settings to work with anything!!! Manipulated diff combinations, used the suggested settings, etc. :confused:
Now I'm going to another house to see if a different computer/ printer makes any difference.
Given the time I spent today trying to make this work, I might as well have waited in line all day! Only problem is I have a 75 year old in tow, and she can't sit for extended amounts of time! Help...anyone??? please???
-k
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3204 posts
88 upvotes
have you tried all the different browsers listed above? firefox 2.0 worked fine for me.
Mar 6, 2007
74 posts
Thanks for all the help everyone! I tried Netscape after my IE didn't work...didn't want to keep installing stuff over and over! But...I did get it to work!
I managed to get it to print in IE on my SO's old computer (over 7 years old). Had no problems! Don't quite understand the difference, but I'm happy this is almost over with! Now just gotta get us over there tomorrow and we'll be fine!
Thanks agin to all the posters for all thisi valuable info!
karen
Apr 26, 2004
614 posts
2 upvotes
I did mine online too. My wife was in and out of the Whitby, ON office in about 15 minutes. Our passports arrived exactly when they said it would. Dropped then off the last week of Feb. and got them in the mail March 20. Didn't even pay for a rush.

My parents did their application by hand and mailed in the documents in January. Yesterday my mom called to see what was taking so long even after she paid to have it rushed. They're telling her theirs will be another 2 months!

That's almost 5 1/2 months! Insane.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1799 posts
65 upvotes
Vancouver
My crappy printer gave some bad crooked lines. I hope it'll be ok. My gaurantor used a little bit of white-out too. I pray that would be acceptable too. I will find out tomorrow.

If I must, I would need to use another printer from elsewhere. Would the library or some internet cafe's printer be a safe place to print? I dont really want to bug my friends if I dont have to.

UPDATE:
Vancouver downtown sinclair center - I went there at 1030am. Lined up outside of the office for 3 hours (line extended all the way to skytrain/mall entrance). Once I got inside, 20 minutes in line for receptionist to give me a number and 10 minutes with my E number. When I walked out at around 230-ish. The line outide the office shrank big time.The passport fee is $87. Anyone know the difference between the 24 vs 48 page passport?

Lesson: Either come in super early at 7am or come late at 2pm.
spot finder

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)