Travel

Saved 3 hours at the Passport office

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2010 10:37 am
Jan 15, 2006
464 posts
3 upvotes
I also did mine online, printed it out no prob and was also in and out at lunch time in st catharines, ON

my freinds didnt do it online and it took them forever

bottom line: there is no reason not to do it online (even if you dont own a printer)
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
1991 posts
171 upvotes
I just did the application online but it's supposed to be 3 pages and mine came out 7 despite adjusting the margins :confused: Will it be rejected if the 2nd page has my ID number and barcode coming on the 3rd page? I don't get why my printer isn't putting that on the 2nd page :(

EDIT: n/m I fixed it. I just had to remove the printing of the URL.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2004
1231 posts
59 upvotes
CSR wrote:Ya i really dont' sunderstand why these people take so long to do their jobs... guess its cuz its unionized and they are lazy... workign govt jobs
What I really don't understand why I have to renew it every 5 years, when any other country I know lasts 10 years.
Apr 27, 2005
97 posts
4 upvotes
ontario
I don't understand the 5 year renewal either, at least for adults.

I just had to renew all 6 of ours and my husband and I look the same as we did 5 years ago.

Now the kids look totally different (5 years makes a huge difference in children) so I can see why they would need to be renewed.

Also, why not (if none of your info has changed) can't you just send in a new photo and just use the same passport?

It definitely is a government organization trying to make way more work out of a simple process.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6566 posts
164 upvotes
Vancouver
the 5 year renewal is a money grab just like the tax on gasoline.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3946 posts
126 upvotes
Markham
Just curious...
All u guys saying that u went to "renew" ur passports.... as far as I know, the Canadian passport is NOT renewable. U have to get a new passport after the old one expires. Isnt it? Am I missin something here??
:confused:
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2003
3931 posts
271 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, I got my passport back in January and used the online process. Went to the downtown location, and there were a ton of people waiting. I showed them my application form that I printed off the website and I was out in less than 15 mins, I even paid the express service since I needed it in 5 days.

The best feeling was walking out and looking at all the people still sitting there.. and the look on their faces as I muttered "suckers".. and took off.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6566 posts
164 upvotes
Vancouver
to_munda wrote:Just curious...
All u guys saying that u went to "renew" ur passports.... as far as I know, the Canadian passport is NOT renewable. U have to get a new passport after the old one expires. Isnt it? Am I missin something here??
:confused:
You're getting too technical on the posters. ;) Yes, there is no renewal.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3946 posts
126 upvotes
Markham
Pavel wrote:You're getting too technical on the posters. ;) Yes, there is no renewal.
:arrowu: LOL.
I am not trying to get technical here, just wanna clarify things up. I was getting confused that the PP office has some new service available where u can "renew" ur passport coz that wud be WAY easier than getting a "New" one altogether ;)
Ciao
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6566 posts
164 upvotes
Vancouver
Maybe it's coming but not here yet: http://www.pptc.gc.ca/whats_new/index_e.asp

[QUOTE]Passport Renewal Project - July 2004
In response to the increased demand and the wide range of client needs, Passport Canada is exploring alternative channels of service to better serve Canadians. One of these alternatives is the Renewal of Canadian passports. The pilot project, launched on Monday, July 5, 2004, was limited to a sampling of Canadian passport holders and invitations were sent to 20,000 applicants. The pilot will run until November 30, 2004 and will be evaluated at the beginning of 2005. Depending on the result, the renewal of Canadian passports may possible take the form of an official service offered by Passport Canada[/QUOTE].
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2005
2431 posts
5 upvotes
Sonic Temple
It's definitely a win win. Customers receive the service convinience with much lower wait times and in turn the government would require fewer complacent, lazy, unionized employees as a result. I guess they will need to find another avenue to waste the savings against their annual budgets.
Aug 4, 2004
762 posts
Thanks for the heads up on the "renewal" process. :D
I was able to be in and out in less than 15 minutes today while others were left waiting while giving me dirty looks.

BTW, if you are applying for a child passport along with an adult one, they will let you expediate the child one as well. Normally you cannot do the child on online and it will require you to go through the normal process.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2003
7931 posts
45 upvotes
Burnaby
is this with all the passport offices thru out canada?

has anyone had this convenience at the vancouver office?
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2003
2353 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
I _think_ it applies everywhere but look at it this way:

You won't be any worse off doing the application electronically. In fact, the electronic application process helps make sure that you answer all the questions properly and don't forget anything.

I did mine and my wife's about 4 weeks ago.

Walked into the downtown Toronto office at 9:03 a.m.
Walked out all done at 9:21 (Yes, I did keep track -- not bad for 2 applications)

The cool thing is that at this particular office, there are no special lines for electronic applications. You're in the same line-up as everyone else. It's just that electronic applications get a number that effectively lets them jump right to the front of the queue. I got some angry looks from people that didn't even see me wait to get to a wicket. :twisted:

Didn't even ask for expidited service and the passports were delivered to my door 6 days later.

But even if they had no way of handling the electronic application, the fact that you it filled out properly will be an advantage.

--Pete
Remember: We elect the government we deserve.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2293 posts
136 upvotes
Ottawa
Pavel wrote:Volume, volume, volume. Your confusing provincial govt departments with the federal. Of course, each group have their lazy shitz.
That's true, but on the other hand, have you seen some of the people those passport clerks deal with? I am amazed at how much time a passport clerk waste on explaining to people who qualifies as a guarantor... I saw one clerk spend a good 20 minute explaining to a lady that her night class teacher doesn't qualify as a guarantor... :confused:

Anyway...

~V79~