• Aug 27th, 2010 10:37 am
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6566 posts
164 upvotes
Vancouver
beripari wrote:
Nov 6th, 2009 8:34 am
You BRING the printout of the completed form w/barcode WITH you and yes, you get processed differently since the info is already in their system & they don't have to type it in. You'll have a MUCH shorter wait time - minutes! - compared to someone who didn't complete the online form.
Hmm. Someone told me that there is no advantage to do this any more since you have to print out the form and no information is exchanged or entered in their system if you complete the application online. :confused:
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1218 upvotes
Sauga
Pavel wrote:
Nov 12th, 2009 1:46 am
Hmm. Someone told me that there is no advantage to do this any more since you have to print out the form and no information is exchanged or entered in their system if you complete the application online. :confused:
http://www.ppt.gc.ca/support/faq.aspx?lang=eng&id=2052
"The bar code is a digital version of the applicant's information found in the Personal Information section (section 1) of the passport application. This allows Passport Canada to accelerate data entry and to reduce the number of errors."

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/support/faq.aspx?lang=eng&id=2054
"Applicants can obtain a paper form at all points of service or print one out from the Internet and fill it in by hand. However, by using the online form with the bar code, applicants help Passport Canada provide them with better service."
Jul 17, 2008
91 posts
Markham
quick question:

Going to renew my passport tomorrow. Do you think it'll be ready and mailed to me in 2 weeks time or should I pay the additional amount for the emergency passport?
Dec 12, 2005
399 posts
38 upvotes
Richmond
I renewed my passport around 2 months ago and got my passport in a week's time. Paid for regular service. They tell you that processing time is around 2 weeks.
Feb 6, 2009
130 posts
2 upvotes
Quick question:
Whats the difference btwn the regular adult in Canada form and the simplified form? I just want to renew my passport before it expires.

Oh, one more question: I got married since my last renewal and assumed my husband's name. Can I still use the online form? Do I just bring my marriage certificate to the office with me?
Thanks in advance
Dec 12, 2005
399 posts
38 upvotes
Richmond
anik1982 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2010 1:53 pm
Quick question:
Whats the difference btwn the regular adult in Canada form and the simplified form? I just want to renew my passport before it expires.

Oh, one more question: I got married since my last renewal and assumed my husband's name. Can I still use the online form? Do I just bring my marriage certificate to the office with me?
Thanks in advance
If you are to change your last name, you have to use the regular adult form and you need a piece of ID (DL or your health card) showing your new last name.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2003
4722 posts
102 upvotes
Oakville
Any recent stories from the process now? I see that renewal via the online form doesn't get you in a special queue any longer but the processing is faster because they simply scan the generated barcode?
Nov 13, 2007
852 posts
104 upvotes
Toronto
yes, the information is in the barcode. Notice that the barcode change as you were typing? The minute they scan the barcode, they retrieve all the information in the barcode that you entered.

If you scratch any field and override something, then the operator needs to correct them manually.