Saved 3 hours at the Passport office

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2010 10:37 am
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2003
2353 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
Viz79 wrote:That's true, but on the other hand, have you seen some of the people those passport clerks deal with? I am amazed at how much time a passport clerk waste on explaining to people who qualifies as a guarantor... I saw one clerk spend a good 20 minute explaining to a lady that her night class teacher doesn't qualify as a guarantor... :confused:

Anyway...

~V79~
When I was in the pre-screening line, I was behind a guy who didn't put his mother's maiden name on the application. His reply was "My mother died 20 years ago. What good is it? You can't call her or anything."

But something else to consider...

When you get to the wicket, be polite and pleasant. The folks behind the wicket are people too. You'd be amazed how well they'll respond if you just smile and don't look like you're going to jump down their throats just for doing their job.

--Pete
Remember: We elect the government we deserve.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6566 posts
164 upvotes
Vancouver
Just curious, how are the line-ups these days when you apply online now that summer is here in the GVR locations?
Feb 1, 2006
632 posts
85 upvotes
I know they say it takes 10 working days to get it processed....how long did it take you guys? Were u notified and did u have to wait in line for pick up?
~snow white~
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
64 upvotes
snow_white wrote:I know they say it takes 10 working days to get it processed....how long did it take you guys? Were u notified and did u have to wait in line for pick up?
I know it does take 10 days to get it at the Victoria st. office. I went there on day 9 and it wasn't ready yet. By default, it gets mailed to you, but if you want to pick it up, it'll cost you $10.
Dec 29, 2005
146 posts
Mississauga
HighFlyer wrote:I know it does take 10 days to get it at the Victoria st. office. I went there on day 9 and it wasn't ready yet. By default, it gets mailed to you, but if you want to pick it up, it'll cost you $10.
How come you need to pay if you go there to pick up???? The cost should be on mailing????
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
64 upvotes
Mocha10 wrote:How come you need to pay if you go there to pick up???? The cost should be on mailing????
They said that all passports are manufactured at a facility in Ottawa(?) and that it costs them staff and overhead to maintain the pickup facility at your local passport office.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6566 posts
164 upvotes
Vancouver
HighFlyer wrote:They said that all passports are manufactured at a facility in Ottawa(?) and that it costs them staff and overhead to maintain the pickup facility at your local passport office.
I was told that in Vancouver headoffice they make them too. The price is fixed and if a location does offer pickup service then it's only a benefit if you need your passport sooner and don't want to wait for it in the mail.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2001
1502 posts
41 upvotes
Maple
They actually tell you when you submit your application, what date you can expect to receive your passport. One thing that surprised me however, was that when I had it sent to me, nobody was home, and they just left it in my mailbox, even though the package clearly said "Signature required". It could have been so easy for someone to just take it..
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2003
2353 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
spdztr wrote:They actually tell you when you submit your application, what date you can expect to receive your passport. One thing that surprised me however, was that when I had it sent to me, nobody was home, and they just left it in my mailbox, even though the package clearly said "Signature required". It could have been so easy for someone to just take it..
That's a priority post thing. They constantly screw things up like that. I can give you some horror stories about them. :mad:

Not that it's going to make any difference, but you should write a letter to the passport office or the relevant ministry and let them know.

--Pete
Remember: We elect the government we deserve.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2001
1502 posts
41 upvotes
Maple
Pete Jones wrote:
Not that it's going to make any difference, but you should write a letter to the passport office or the relevant ministry and let them know.

--Pete
I thought about that.. but like you said, it won't make a bit of a difference. I actually thought about calling a newspaper or other media just to point out this "hole"... but it's probably more trouble than it's worth.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2003
5435 posts
221 upvotes
Mississauga
when i got my passport for myself for the first time, it was in march of this year... filled out all the forms, got the pictures done, etc. well before going there.. was in and out of the place in an hour... (pre-screening to final) this was at the yonge and sheppard location

so this online application is only for renewing or will it apply to people that are applying for the first time ever?
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
3698 posts
259 upvotes
Georgetown
I took advantage of doing my Passport application online and was able to jump the line at the Mississauga office.

I went in with the paperwork and was given a number as I entered - the guy at the door was dismissive and just handed me the number. I thought I would be waiting a while to be served (I was 20-30 numbers down the list... lots of people sitting and waiting). I had read this thread so I was a bit bummed to be stuck in the queue... I then noticed some numbers pop up with a different letter prefix (I think the normal numbers were Cxxx and it was a Jxxx number?). I went back to the door and asked the lady who was now there about the J numbers - she looked at my folder and said "Oh, you filled out the online forms, you get one of these"... and handed me a J number.

I was the next number to be serviced :) I guess as soon as they issue a J number it jumps to the front of the queue! It saved me at least an hour.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
1098 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
I went to the Yonge & Sheppard location thinking that I'd be there for quite a while since my mom told me it gets busy FAST. I was literally in and out of there and the room was full of people. I think I took more time making change to get back onto the subway then I spent at the office. The online application really helps. Who wants to fill an application out by hand these days anyways??
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2005
3789 posts
43 upvotes
South Orange
Tiberius wrote:I took advantage of doing my Passport application online and was able to jump the line at the Mississauga office.

I went in with the paperwork and was given a number as I entered - the guy at the door was dismissive and just handed me the number. I thought I would be waiting a while to be served (I was 20-30 numbers down the list... lots of people sitting and waiting). I had read this thread so I was a bit bummed to be stuck in the queue... I then noticed some numbers pop up with a different letter prefix (I think the normal numbers were Cxxx and it was a Jxxx number?). I went back to the door and asked the lady who was now there about the J numbers - she looked at my folder and said "Oh, you filled out the online forms, you get one of these"... and handed me a J number.

I was the next number to be serviced :) I guess as soon as they issue a J number it jumps to the front of the queue! It saved me at least an hour.
Dammit I didn't get that treatment at the mississauga office. I got the regular "A" numbers...but I went during off-peak and I was out of there in less than 30 minutes anyways, so I guess it doesn't really make a difference...
295 posts
83 upvotes
THe OP's link is now dead on the passport site. Anyone have the new link?

Do i just need to print off the form, or is their an actual link to applying online?

Thanks in advance.

c.