Travel

Saved 3 hours at the Passport office

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2010 10:37 am
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3078 posts
36 upvotes
Pavel wrote:Maybe it's coming but not here yet: http://www.pptc.gc.ca/whats_new/index_e.asp

Go I guess that there's no word on whether renewal is possible or not > :( ... darn. Mine expired in Sep 2007, and I was hoping that it'd be cheaper to renew it than to get a new one. But I guess there's no such thing as "renewal" yet > :(
My Heatware: 100% positive
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2006
3418 posts
86 upvotes
Halton
Anyone know if this is able to work with getting your passport? I am looking to get one asap.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2002
3399 posts
72 upvotes
My wife needs to add her married surname to her passport. According to the site:

Married Surnames

To add a married surname to a valid passport that was issued in your surname at birth, submit:

* a signed letter requesting the addition of your married surname to your passport,
* your marriage certificate (a photocopy is accepted),
* your valid passport, and
* the fee of CAN$12

To obtain a passport in your married surname you must apply for a new passport.

Does this mean she brings all that to the office and it is processed there? Is there a quick way of doing this, or will there be a long wait since there is no electronic form she can fill out ahead of time.

Thanks.
Oct 2, 2005
205 posts
25 upvotes
I tried this procedure at the Vancouver office (Sinclair Centre).

I arrived on a Wednesday morning at about 7:50am. I had to wait about 40 minutes just to get to the reception desk where they do a quick check of your application and hand you a ticket number. When I finally got to the reception desk, the person there told me that because I had done my application online, I would be given a priority ticket number (I think it started with an "E" instead of an "A, B or D"). I did have to wait for about 3 or 4 people who had been waiting at least the 40 minutes that I was there, but I got to see a service agent in about 10 minutes.

By 9am, there was a very small line up to get to the reception desk (say about 3 or 4 people). So I guess my advice is that if you have completed your application online, do not show up first thing in the morning to avoid the useless lineup. ;) Also, it doesn't hurt to bring something to read in case there still is a bit of a lineup.

By the way, for those who do not already know (it had been a while since I last went to get a passport,) they now charge you $10 to pickup your passport from the office??? They said that there are too many people at the office so they would rather send them out. It's free for them to mail because it is a government agency or something. So I had it mailed to me.
Nov 14, 2003
236 posts
15 upvotes
I just tried this procedure in Calgary (Harry Hays).

I arrived at the passport office around 12:30pm. The security guard asked me if I had filled my application online (I did), and then ushered me into a line with around 4 people ahead of me.
After maybe 5 minutes, I got to the back counter, where the person checks to make sure I have all my documents, and then gives me a priority ticket number (starts with "C" instead of "A").
A couple minutes later, my number comes up and I go to the passport window and see the passport agent.
In and out in less than 10 minutes.

There was probably 30 people waiting in that room who didn't fill out the app online.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6087 posts
42 upvotes
thelastknight wrote:
Oct 10th, 2006 4:44 pm
I tried this procedure at the Vancouver office (Sinclair Centre).

I arrived on a Wednesday morning at about 7:50am. I had to wait about 40 minutes just to get to the reception desk where they do a quick check of your application and hand you a ticket number. .
Holy toledo! What the heck are you doing at the passport office before they even open up? That's one of the worst times to go. No wonder you waited for 40 minutes. Not only that, Sinclair is one of the busiests offices in the country. It's not surprising you waited as long as you did. For others, around mid to late afternoon (before 3PM) is the best time to go if you have applied online.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
18007 posts
2299 upvotes
Waterloo
I was in and out of the Kitchener passport office in 5 minutes, WOW

popped by reception counter, she checked things, gave me ticket C305
then I'm next, C305 to counter 5, she checked things again, I paid, left

Although I don't think it would've taken 3 hours anyway
Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan/AMEX MR <= AMEX Platinum 75K, Business Gold 40K FYF, Gold 25K FYF, SPG 20K $120
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2003
3897 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
I realize it's old hat but man, love the application. walked in (in mississauga), got the priority ticket, and 10 mins later walked out.
even had someone ask me if it was a passport and how come I skipped the line.

It was great!
--
There is no happy ending
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2003
1012 posts
39 upvotes
thelastknight wrote:
Oct 10th, 2006 4:44 pm
By the way, for those who do not already know (it had been a while since I last went to get a passport,) they now charge you $10 to pickup your passport from the office??? They said that there are too many people at the office so they would rather send them out. It's free for them to mail because it is a government agency or something. So I had it mailed to me.
Yes, the Passport Canada offices now charge $10 if you want to pick up your passport. I was told that the passports are printed in Mississauga, then shipped out from there unless you are picking yours up at an office, in which case they ship it to the appropriate office.

It is not free for government departments to mail things out. Canada Post operates as an agency at arm's length from the rest of the public service, and departments still need to pay for postage except there is a corporate discount available. (Or at least that's the case where I work.)
To do nothing at all is the most difficult thing in the world, the most difficult and the most intellectual.
--Oscar Wilde
Mar 19, 2006
543 posts
7 upvotes
Etobicoke
Went to the Mississauga office at lunch today. In and out in under 7 minutes. There were at least 30 people waiting. It was great. :twisted:

Thanks OP!
Oct 2, 2005
205 posts
25 upvotes
One thing I should add is that if you go to a cheap photo place to get you pictures done (most likely digital picture prints), make sure there is enough contrast to see your whole face and EARS. The agent almost rejected my picture because one of my ears was kind of light coloured from the flash. But I was able to convince the agent that I did not have enough time to get new pictures redone. Had I known it might be an issue, I would have had the person re-take my picture (I went to London Drugs instead of a professional photo studio... my bad!).
Dec 25, 2005
2 posts
Thanks !! I spend less than half an hour in North York's passport office today.

The staff said I'm smart to use the online form & could save 3 hours for the long lineup. Which is true ! Christmas is coming & so it was packed with people
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2005
1037 posts
2 upvotes
Pickering
can someone please update the link? the one listed in the first post comes up as "page not found"
thanks!
Feb 19, 2005
114 posts
Toronto
I did my wife online passport... she did not have to wait in line.... Took her just 5 minutes///

:lol:
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2002
1877 posts
23 upvotes
Belleville
bump for all those who might be travelling soon
:arrowu:

Long Lineups for Passports
Josh Pringle
Monday, December 4, 2006

The Canadian Passport Office says if you don't need a passport this month, you should wait.

The busy holiday season and a new US passport requirement for all air travellers in January is leading to long line-ups at passport offices across Ottawa and the rest of Canada.

Passport Canada's Francine Charbonneau tells CFRA News the average wait time across Canada is 50 minutes.

Charbonneau says confusion over the US passport requirement starting January 23rd is adding to the passport line-ups.

Starting next month, all air travellers heading to the United States are required to carry passports.

Officials say you can also apply for a passport online. The secret is out ;)
× < >