• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2018 5:58 pm
[OP]
Feb 14, 2015
32 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Saving Energy

I'm finding ways on how to save energy in our company. We have done everything from metering our consumption, replacing ineffective tools, upgrading our insulation, etc. I wonder if there is a company or a service provider that will help us manage our energy consumption. I have heard of this but I’m not quite sure on how it works. Do you have any experiences regarding this?
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
9662 posts
3721 upvotes
Brampton
trashysay wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2016 11:11 pm
I'm finding ways on how to save energy in our company. We have done everything from metering our consumption, replacing ineffective tools, upgrading our insulation, etc. I wonder if there is a company or a service provider that will help us manage our energy consumption. I have heard of this but I’m not quite sure on how it works. Do you have any experiences regarding this?
You're looking for an energy auditor/consultant. There's a lot of them out there for both home and business.
I used one for our home as part of a rebate process.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2104 posts
486 upvotes
Windsor
I don't know anything about your company, but I'd say the way to save cash is lighting. This is usually step 1, so I assume that was already done. Another bugger is computers (if they're not new-ish), and monitors ... both of them, though, are not really worth it to upgrade unless they're already tired.

When I was in IT, I'd setup PCs to go to sleep after 1 hour (monitors after 5 minutes). For night IT tasks (defragmenting, updating software, etc), the server would wake up the PC, do what it had to, then they'd go back to sleep on their own.

I never got the numbers, but my boss said it was "substantial". We were using CAD PCs from the Core2Quad days, with "powerful" videocards, and multiple monitors set on default "burn your retinas" brightness levels. Also, this was pre-TOU.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
[OP]
Feb 14, 2015
32 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto, ON
How is it that LED lights can cause irreparable damage to the eyes and severe headache?
[OP]
Feb 14, 2015
32 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Yup thanks, But I'm looking for something more focused on reducing our energy consumption, I read online that the company Ecova offers energy saving software and tools that can help manage energy consumption? are you familiar with the company?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
9662 posts
3721 upvotes
Brampton
trashysay wrote:
Aug 30th, 2016 2:36 am
How is it that LED lights can cause irreparable damage to the eyes and severe headache?
Some LED bulbs use PWM which if done poorly cause headaches and other issues.

Can't say too much with regard to irreparable eye damage tho... Don't look directly at them?
Aug 12, 2010
57 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
tebore wrote:
Aug 24th, 2016 4:01 pm
You're looking for an energy auditor/consultant. There's a lot of them out there for both home and business.
I used one for our home as part of a rebate process.
Hi Tebore,

I wish to join the Enbridge incentive program this year. But most of its approved energy auditors do not have good reviews. Some customers complained the auditors did not file the rebate applications for them and so they did not get the money back. Do you mind telling me who you used for energy audit last time? Do they serve GTA? Hope to hear from you soon. Thank you.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
9662 posts
3721 upvotes
Brampton
CLC255 wrote:
Jul 28th, 2018 1:23 pm
Hi Tebore,

I wish to join the Enbridge incentive program this year. But most of its approved energy auditors do not have good reviews. Some customers complained the auditors did not file the rebate applications for them and so they did not get the money back. Do you mind telling me who you used for energy audit last time? Do they serve GTA? Hope to hear from you soon. Thank you.
The Home Inspectors Group Inc.

They were one of the approved auditors on Envridges site. Tim did a good enough job for me to get my rebate. We had a good chat. I already covered about 80% of the typical high energy leak spots that could be DIY'd.

His other recommendations to me were an HRV new windows and a newer ECM based HVAC system.

I knocked those out last year.
HRV as part of my basement finishing
I replaced my Furnance motor with an ECM motor for less than $300 I wrote about this on my blog.
And new windows as part of GreenOn.
Aug 12, 2010
57 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Thank you Tebore for your reply. What's the last name of Tim? What is HRV? How long did it take to get the first report? I plan to upgrade my heating system plus some windows. Too bad that I missed the GreenON Program which offered generous rebate. Is air sealing easy to be done by ourselves? What will be the costs? I am interested to read your blog. Do you mind sharing the link? Thank You very much for your help.
Jan 15, 2009
302 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
Is it normal for these energy auditors to ask for your property tax bill and gas bill? (I think the gas bill is OK, but property tax bill?)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
9662 posts
3721 upvotes
Brampton
showmethemoney2009 wrote:
Oct 20th, 2018 1:06 am
Is it normal for these energy auditors to ask for your property tax bill and gas bill? (I think the gas bill is OK, but property tax bill?)
I was told it was needed in case they get audited. I guess in the past some had done fake reports to get rebates.
Jan 15, 2009
302 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
tebore wrote:
Oct 20th, 2018 9:19 am
I was told it was needed in case they get audited. I guess in the past some had done fake reports to get rebates.
I see. Thanks.