• Feb 22nd, 2010 2:40 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4164 posts
1477 upvotes
ways to save money are endless, ways to spend it are just as endless

it all depends on your lifestyle and the sacrifices you are willing to make.
some suggestions on here are great but will not work for everyones lifestyle

i know i could save a bundle not smoking, BUT i save money in other areas to compensate

you just have to work out whats good for you
best way to start is by listing your variable expenses, and go down the list one by one and think of possible ways to lower that cost if you cant live without that item/service
also determine what you can/cannot live without
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Sep 30, 2001
27527 posts
6576 upvotes
Toronto
i know we've had this thread before. at any rate, some financial tips:

-always negotiate your contracts when they're up for renewal (newspapers, cable, tv, phones)
-never buy a new car without getting a pre-negotiated price from the APA (or a regular invoice from the CCC).
-pay yourself first
-contribute to your TFSA, RRSP
-don't buy games when they're first released. wait until they hit the used market or are heavily discounted
-eat properly and stay healthy (save on future medications)
-maximize your rewards. Use GCR, CT money, cash back credit cards, etc.
Oct 6, 2005
283 posts
3 upvotes
I've been able to save more than $100 so far this year by getting books at the library rather than buying them. I will still buy books when I can't find them at the library, but from now on it's library first for me.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3960 posts
145 upvotes
SC
Don't pay for someone to do your garden work when u can DIY

Always try to find coupon codes online before making an online purchase.

Do one big trip to buy all the things you need instead of making a lot of tiny little ones.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2008
1598 posts
57 upvotes
-Priceline is a huge one. Using the deeper discount section has let me stay in the Hilton Garden Inn (Detroit) for 40, Sheraton (Toronto)/Delta Armories(London)/Hyatt Regency(Downtown Chicago!) for 50 dollars, Marriott (Toronto)/Hotel Clarendon (Quebec City) for 60 dollars, Corinthia Towers (Prague) for 70 dollars!! Sites I use to help me know what to "bid":

http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php? ... =calendar&
http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/

-Amex/Mastercard/VISA all extend the warranty of devices that your purchase. My laptop has 2 year manufacturer and an extra year because I bought it on my AMEX.

-Unlike BB/FS/etc, Walmart doesn't check stock for pricematches, so you can go there to completely avoid the crowds and frustration of all those crazy grocery store sales (No Frills having dozens of items for $1).
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2008
3132 posts
177 upvotes
Google "Money Saving Tips" and get over 2 million results. Have fun with the read.

It all comes down to discipline and delayed gratification.
www.mortgagecalculatortoolkit.com

Do your mortgage math correctly!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2008
1598 posts
57 upvotes
sslinn wrote:
Feb 21st, 2010 9:08 pm
Google "Money Saving Tips" and get over 2 million results. Have fun with the read.

It all comes down to discipline and delayed gratification.
lol you can google a lot of what's on RFD.
Feb 16, 2010
11 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa
Excercise, eat right and take care of yourself. Good health = fewer expenses (medical or otherwise).

They have excellent books at the library.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2005
1523 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
_RFDealt_ wrote:
Feb 21st, 2010 10:08 pm
lol you can google a lot of what's on RFD.
And a lot of the time it leads right back to rfd :)
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1332 upvotes
MrDisco wrote:
Feb 21st, 2010 6:07 pm
i know we've had this thread before. at any rate, some financial tips:

-always negotiate your contracts when they're up for renewal (newspapers, cable, tv, phones)
-never buy a new car without getting a pre-negotiated price from the APA (or a regular invoice from the CCC)..
Another take on this would be to never buy a new car - period.

By used.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2002
3307 posts
26 upvotes
This isn't so much directly saving money but rather minimizing your risk should something happen, but minimize your liabilities/recurring expenses. By that, I mean things like avoiding cellphone contracts, don't carry a CC balance, get your car paid off, plain avoid signing up for things which you must pay some amount monthly.
Feb 26, 2008
468 posts
26 upvotes
the_fm wrote:
Feb 21st, 2010 1:08 pm
it's usually the same product (from the same production line) but they are branded differently
hahah, this I have to disagree for certain items. CornFlakes from PC taste like complete crap compared to Kelloggs. It's worth that extra 2 bucks ;)