None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9120 posts
256 upvotes
cyder wrote:
Oct 12th, 2009 8:11 pm
one thing with the SB400 is that it doesn't have a lot of height over the camera, so if you weren't bouncing and have a large lens hood or were going to use zoom or both there will be a significant shadow in the bottom of the picture. Should not be a problem with a prime.

Also the SB 400 doesn't swivel so you can't bounce off the ceiling if you were taking a portrait.
That's true, I'll consider the SB600 then..
danodealo wrote:
Oct 12th, 2009 8:20 pm
Can I just offer some different advice? How good are you with Cameras? I purchased a D40, some lenses, then thinking I needed more options and upgraded sensor I switched to a D90. The D90, at least for me and initially, is much harder to get nice pictures out of the box. There are so many adjustable settings and options that simply 'getting the shot' can be pretty hard to accomplish since picture controls can affect your histogram as well as many small adjustments on the D90. I've actually put my 35m. 1.8 which should also be considered onto the D40 and wish I had saved myself the money from a 1000$ body and invested it all into lenses for my D40. This camera cranks out colour and excellent shots. I also own the SB-600 and love it, the only thing you would be losing is Off-camera flash by putting it on a D40 rather than a D90 but for umbrella shots, etc, this might not matter.

Also, the D40 is a far better camera than the D5000 which IMHO is Junk
I'm alright with adjustments, I'll put in the time to play around with things. Like I initially mentioned, my budget is $1500, so any combination of whatever would suffice.35mm 1.8, or 50mm 1.8 or 1.4 or D90 or SB600 or SB400 all would sit under this.
adfactor wrote:
Oct 12th, 2009 8:22 pm
Cyder the SB400 DOES SWIVEL. I've got three of them sitting right here. They work great and its all the flash anyone really ever needs. (unless you really use nikon's creative lighting system).

To the original poster: A D90 is complete overkill for what you're looking to do, so is most of the other items that people are suggesting you pickup in this thread.

D40/D60/D3000 or a D5000 would be fine for what you're doing. You don't need to worry about the lack of compatibility with older lenses because you aren't going to be using any older lenses anyway (This is a wife tales that people who think more lenses + more filters + more money = better shot).

Get yourself any of the camera's above, a SB400 WHICH DOES BOUNCE FLASH and the standard kit VR lens to get started. You'll get some great shots. With the savings over the D90 invest in the Nikon 35mm AF-S 1.8 lens and you'll get incredible pictures indoors. When you get a chance to spend some more cash sell the kit lens and go for the Nikon 18-200mm VR lense. Save the rest of your money and spend it on your kids!

I've got to say that i've only posted a few times in threads related to photography on RFDs but each time I just see crazy suggestions. This is probably the worst place to get advice on photography purchases.
Well the problem with me is I hate buying and selling things, I'd rather overbuy something abit, rather than underbuy it and regret my purchase. The D90 might be overkill for what I want it for now, but I'm sure I'll come to adore 3" 920k pixel screen :D Trust me, I already spend enough on this tyke. He's already got birthday and Christmas presents for the next couple of years ;) The 18-200mm VR or VRII is what I'd eventually get down the line, if the wife allows it, but I have to make my case for the initial camera first before we even delve into that!

The thing is, I want to try to be smarter than you guys (or atleast tell myself that lol) and not buy and sell and buy and sell things all the time ;)
:lol: :D :cheesygri
it's me ramin.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1726 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11092 posts
4496 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
danodealo wrote:
Oct 12th, 2009 8:20 pm
Also, the D40 is a far better camera than the D5000 which IMHO is Junk
Actually, I just shot with the D5000 in NYC for 6 days. While the movie mode needs a bit of work, the rest of the camera is pretty solid - good colour, low noise, excellent white balancing, accurate metering...

As for the D40, it's also a great little camera and is more than suitable for most people who take everyday shots.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7941 posts
1006 upvotes
craftsman wrote:
Oct 13th, 2009 12:58 am
Actually, I just shot with the D5000 in NYC for 6 days. While the movie mode needs a bit of work, the rest of the camera is pretty solid - good colour, low noise, excellent white balancing, accurate metering...

As for the D40, it's also a great little camera and is more than suitable for most people who take everyday shots.
Agreed. The D40 is a great camera but it can't compare the what the D5000 is capable of as the D5000 uses the same sensor as the D300 and the AF-system from the D90 which puts it miles ahead of the D40 although the D5000 is grossly overpriced if you want to argue on that demerit alone.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Jul 10, 2009
22 posts
1 upvote
[QUOTE]
Well the problem with me is I hate buying and selling things, I'd rather overbuy something abit, rather than underbuy it and regret my purchase. The D90 might be overkill for what I want it for now, but I'm sure I'll come to adore 3" 920k pixel screen :D Trust me, I already spend enough on this tyke. He's already got birthday and Christmas presents for the next couple of years ;) The 18-200mm VR or VRII is what I'd eventually get down the line, if the wife allows it, but I have to make my case for the initial camera first before we even delve into that!

The thing is, I want to try to be smarter than you guys (or atleast tell myself that lol) and not buy and sell and buy and sell things all the time ;)
:lol: :D :cheesygri [/QUOTE]

This was my reasoning for suggesting that the D40 was more than enough Camera, especially for starters. And there is absolutely no problem with selling them used, many photographers know what a great camera this is and will give you excellent resale value on it if you find you need more. Not to sound like ken rockwell too much but putting money into lenses will give you far superior results than spending it on body alone. The technical image quality of my shots with a D90 are not noticeably different from my D40. The main difference is at high iso but since you mentioned shooting indoors with flash this is a non-issue.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9120 posts
256 upvotes
danodealo wrote:
Oct 13th, 2009 3:09 pm
This was my reasoning for suggesting that the D40 was more than enough Camera, especially for starters. And there is absolutely no problem with selling them used, many photographers know what a great camera this is and will give you excellent resale value on it if you find you need more. Not to sound like ken rockwell too much but putting money into lenses will give you far superior results than spending it on body alone. The technical image quality of my shots with a D90 are not noticeably different from my D40. The main difference is at high iso but since you mentioned shooting indoors with flash this is a non-issue.
Hmm, I told my wife about the D40 and that it was "Half the price of the Camera body I originally wanted" and she said "well if it's cheaper it must be worse, why not just get the more expensive one" I can't argue with her there ;)

But hey, a D40 (470 USD) + 18-200mm (750 USD) + SB600 (220 USD) + 35mm 1.8 (200 USD) - $50 for the kit lense is abit over budget... (1590 USD) Hmmm!
it's me ramin.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9120 posts
256 upvotes
pmc wrote:
Oct 13th, 2009 11:35 pm
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... cart&Q=add

You'll be using the 18-50 the most and you'll want the fastest aperture you can afford even with flash especially when you're going to use it indoors to have a more balance frame.
I can't see what's in your cart...

Yes, I know about B&H, Adorama, BeachCamera, J&R, Amazon, RitzCamera, B&H is probably the cheapest, with no tax, and decent shipping..

Hmm the price difference between the D90 and D40 is ~390 if you factor in $50 for the kit lens....

Has anyone else gone from the D40 to the D90 and found it not worth the money?
it's me ramin.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21280 posts
2104 upvotes
B0000rt wrote:
Oct 14th, 2009 10:24 am
Has anyone else gone from the D40 to the D90 and found it not worth the money?
I have shot with pretty much every camera Nikon makes, except the D3s and D3x, cant afford to even touch one. :cry:

There is a difference between cameras, you get more features and options. The question is: do you really need them? If I was just shooting for the fun of it, a D40 would make me happy. Its small, light, and does everything I need when having fun. On the other hand, if I'm shooting a concert or the like, I want a bigger body, bigger VF, easy to change settings, etc. In which case I pick up a D200 or D300.

In short, what you plan to do with the camera effects what you probably want to buy. If you can afford it, a D90 is great to have. If not, a D40 is sufficient. Ultimately its the person who takes the picture, not the camera.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9120 posts
256 upvotes
You know what, I'm convinced, D40 it is... And since it's discontinued, they're a steal right now, $350 USD clearance at Target! Wahoo!

Thanks for all your help guys!
it's me ramin.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
8731 posts
1736 upvotes
Montreal, QC
You can easily find a D60 body for 400CAD, or ~450 with the VR kit lens (which is fine - but if you have the money, get the Tamron 18-50mm with a constant f/2.8 and the Nikon 35mm f/1.8)

Instead of buying the SB-400, the popup flash can become quite useful with a little mirror :)
Save the money and get the SB-600 when you really do need it.

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/soft ... sh-702164/

Goes for like 10$ last time I've checked on eBay
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9120 posts
256 upvotes
Daijoubu wrote:
Oct 15th, 2009 8:42 am
You can easily find a D60 body for 400CAD, or ~450 with the VR kit lens (which is fine - but if you have the money, get the Tamron 18-50mm with a constant f/2.8 and the Nikon 35mm f/1.8)

Instead of buying the SB-400, the popup flash can become quite useful with a little mirror :)
Save the money and get the SB-600 when you really do need it.

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/soft ... sh-702164/

Goes for like 10$ last time I've checked on eBay
$400 new or used? The whole kit with the lense is $500 at FS + taxes though.
it's me ramin.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2007
1169 posts
95 upvotes
B0000rt wrote:
Oct 14th, 2009 10:24 am
B&H is probably the cheapest, with no tax, and decent shipping..
Umm... there's still tax from B&H. You'll get nailed by UPS for PST + GST (but not brokerage charges).

Anyway, if you can only pick one prime on a crop body, then I'd say 35mm is the way to go. You can always crop a 35mm, but you can't expand the 50mm.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9120 posts
256 upvotes
Astin wrote:
Oct 15th, 2009 9:59 am
Umm... there's still tax from B&H. You'll get nailed by UPS for PST + GST (but not brokerage charges).

Anyway, if you can only pick one prime on a crop body, then I'd say 35mm is the way to go. You can always crop a 35mm, but you can't expand the 50mm.
Not for those living in Jersey ;) Check the zip in my location ;)

The only 50mm prime that would work on the D40 would be the 50mm 1.4G which is abit pricey compared to the 35mm 1.8G.. (200 USD vs 450 USD)
it's me ramin.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7941 posts
1006 upvotes
B0000rt wrote:
Oct 15th, 2009 10:12 am
Not for those living in Jersey ;) Check the zip in my location ;)

The only 50mm prime that would work on the D40 would be the 50mm 1.4G which is abit pricey compared to the 35mm 1.8G.. (200 USD vs 450 USD)
Go with the 35 DX prime, the 50 is equivalent to 75 on a Nikon cropped, bit of a longer prime, its good but not as useful as the 35 and if you're only getting one prime for now you'll be itching for something a bit wider.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)