SB600 + 35mm 1.8G + D90!!

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2009 8:57 am
Tags:
None
Dec 6, 2005
573 posts
66 upvotes
The thing to keep in mind about wide-aperture lenses is that you can get really nice blurry-background effects when you open it up.

There appears to be a big difference in how this blur (called bokeh) is rendered, based on the lens and diaphragm blade design.

Some people are saying that the 35mm is not that nice looking, while the 50mm is good. It's all personal preference.... but me personally, I'd rather get a 50mm and spend the extra money elsewhere.

Like a flash.
Or even a flash umbrella if you want PERFECT pictures of your kids.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9120 posts
256 upvotes
TBH, I'm not really into the bokeh stuff yet, I just want the pictures to be sharp as hell for now :D

Flash is already in the budget, and with the 35mm 1.8G I'm ~$300 under budget, all the more to go towards the 18-200mm in the future ;)
it's me ramin.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21280 posts
2104 upvotes
B0000rt wrote:
Oct 17th, 2009 3:45 pm
TBH, I'm not really into the bokeh stuff yet, I just want the pictures to be sharp as hell for now :D

Flash is already in the budget, and with the 35mm 1.8G I'm ~$300 under budget, all the more to go towards the 18-200mm in the future ;)
A sharp subject with creamy bokeh is what really cares a pleasing portrait.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9120 posts
256 upvotes
Kasakato wrote:
Oct 17th, 2009 3:49 pm
A sharp subject with creamy bokeh is what really cares a pleasing portrait.
Can't get bokeh with a flat coloured background ;)
it's me ramin.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21280 posts
2104 upvotes
B0000rt wrote:
Oct 17th, 2009 3:58 pm
Can't get bokeh with a flat coloured background ;)
Sure you can, why not? There is no such thing as a perfectly flat and homogeneous backdrop.
Dec 6, 2005
573 posts
66 upvotes
You may not care about bokeh now... but once you see it in action, I guarantee it'll make you want more.

I think that bokeh or depth of field is the #1 thing that you want an SLR for, next to things like ISO performance or focus speeds.

A picture that is 100 percent in focus seems like a good idea at first... but when you start getting into composition or subject isolation, having the flexibility to 'erase' away the background with bokeh can really add some oomph to the picture.

But once again, it's all personal opinion. Why not go to the camera store and try all the lenses to see which ones fit you best?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9120 posts
256 upvotes
Well for what it's worth, thanks for all your help guys and gals!

D90 is on order from B&H
35mm 1.8G is in hand and
SB600 is in hand,

And so it begins....
it's me ramin.
Oct 8, 2009
144 posts
B0000rt wrote:
Oct 18th, 2009 1:08 pm
Well for what it's worth, thanks for all your help guys and gals!

D90 is on order from B&H
35mm 1.8G is in hand and
SB600 is in hand,

And so it begins....
SB600 is great (I got it...remember to use AA 2450 mAh Energizer Rechargeable batteries). 35mm 1.8 is great as well. Sorry about the D90 though, POS camera. It's crammed with many [sarcasm] useful [/sarcasm] features...like 24 fps movie shooting that doesn't auto focus when you zoom in...or Live View...but you know...you'll find out soon by yourself anyway.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9120 posts
256 upvotes
VMalska wrote:
Oct 18th, 2009 2:30 pm
SB600 is great (I got it...remember to use AA 2450 mAh Energizer Rechargeable batteries). 35mm 1.8 is great as well. Sorry about the D90 though, POS camera. It's crammed with many [sarcasm] useful [/sarcasm] features...like 24 fps movie shooting that doesn't auto focus when you zoom in...or Live View...but you know...you'll find out soon by yourself anyway.
Duraloops are in it... It feels smaller than the SB800 though...

Hah, I don't mind, I was playing around with the D90 at Bestbuy and it was fine, The Live View is a neat feature but I probably won't use it much... The HD video is alright since I'll just be with my kid that doesn't move around much yet :D
it's me ramin.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21280 posts
2104 upvotes
VMalska wrote:
Oct 18th, 2009 2:30 pm
Live view is useful when shooting macros, the magnification helps when focusing.

24fps gives movie a unique cine feel. There is nothing wrong with 24p.

Most professional directors do not auto focus, everything is pulled. It does add a bit of a challenge but its nothing that cannot be overcome, certainly not bad for the first DSLR with video. When using a parfocal lens, zooming is not an issue anyways.

If you don't know what you're talking about, its best not to talk at all.
Oct 8, 2009
144 posts
Kasakato wrote:
Oct 18th, 2009 3:08 pm
Live view is useful when shooting macros, the magnification helps when focusing.

24fps gives movie a unique cine feel. There is nothing wrong with 24p.

Most professional directors do not auto focus, everything is pulled. It does add a bit of a challenge but its nothing that cannot be overcome, certainly not bad for the first DSLR with video. When using a parfocal lens, zooming is not an issue anyways.

If you don't know what you're talking about, its best not to talk at all.
If you can't get your point across by using proper words, it's better not to try. Live View is never helpful if you know what you're doing. I've never found LV to help with manual focusing. EVER. There's nothing wrong with 24p, but there is something wrong with not AF-ing. There is the Canon T1I, much better videos...But honestly: who bothers with video on a DSLR?...But meh, guess it's hard for some people to understand a person who shoots B&W Street with a LS and doesn't edit images.
Oct 8, 2009
144 posts
B0000rt wrote:
Oct 18th, 2009 3:07 pm
Duraloops are in it... It feels smaller than the SB800 though...

Hah, I don't mind, I was playing around with the D90 at Bestbuy and it was fine, The Live View is a neat feature but I probably won't use it much... The HD video is alright since I'll just be with my kid that doesn't move around much yet :D
BestBuy FTW. Much better customer service than Henry's...they're willing to do anything for you. The LV IS a neat feature, but once you have it...it's a little bit addictive...the only way to stop is to remember that you're losing image frame (it's much easier not to get addicted when you don't have it =)). The HD video, yes it is alright...remember a tripod^^...and also, for the flash, remember the LS...For macro purposes, for portraits, or for general purpose photography...you really can't beat LS. I do B&W Street photography (Henri Cartier-Bresson style...I also like Bruce Gilden though)...and believe me, without the sphere I would get much harsher images (and much harsher repercussions from people on whom I used flash o.O).
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21280 posts
2104 upvotes
VMalska wrote:
Oct 18th, 2009 3:32 pm
If you can't get your point across by using proper words, it's better not to try. Live View is never helpful if you know what you're doing. I've never found LV to help with manual focusing. EVER. There's nothing wrong with 24p, but there is something wrong with not AF-ing. There is the Canon T1I, much better videos...But honestly: who bothers with video on a DSLR?...But meh, guess it's hard for some people to understand a person who shoots B&W Street with a LS and doesn't edit images.
Im fairly sure my words were correct, and since you got what I was saying, the post served its purpose.

If you can come up with a way to focus on fungus spores, using the optical VF, please let me know. I would be interested. Perhaps you have zoom vision?
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21280 posts
2104 upvotes
VMalska wrote:
Oct 18th, 2009 3:40 pm
BestBuy FTW. Much better customer service than Henry's...they're willing to do anything for you. The LV IS a neat feature, but once you have it...it's a little bit addictive...the only way to stop is to remember that you're losing image frame (it's much easier not to get addicted when you don't have it =)). The HD video, yes it is alright...remember a tripod^^...and also, for the flash, remember the LS...For macro purposes, for portraits, or for general purpose photography...you really can't beat LS. I do B&W Street photography (Henri Cartier-Bresson style...I also like Bruce Gilden though)...and believe me, without the sphere I would get much harsher images (and much harsher repercussions from people on whom I used flash o.O).
Loose image frame? What the heck is that? Frame rate? Viewfinder accuracy?
Oct 8, 2009
144 posts
Kasakato wrote:
Oct 18th, 2009 3:46 pm
Lose image frame? What the heck is that? Frame rate? Viewfinder accuracy?
You see less in the Live View of what the picture is going to be than in the viewfinder.