• Last Updated:
  • Mar 8th, 2014 2:54 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Oct 7, 2010
15536 posts
5790 upvotes
OP! I think your wife got ding these because she possibly accident hit a link to that service through free apps. It happens all the time. It is charged through your phone provider and there is nothing you can do to get the money back. It is a pure scam I think. Avoid free apps at all cost.
Mar 1, 2008
473 posts
15 upvotes
Hi, Pat Foran here. Please don't write me about this.
No nappy no happy!!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6833 posts
7575 upvotes
Toronto
rockybun wrote: Hi, Pat Foran here. Please don't write me about this.
Who the hell is Pat Foran and why should we (I) care?
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2005
5983 posts
159 upvotes
MAINMAN wrote: This is my wife's phone. There is no text. She only uses the phone for email, maps and tomorrow gas. I have no idea how Ifortune got her mobile number.
so more info has surfaced, so how would you know if your wife didn't filled in her # or some survey consenting to this txt messaging service.

ive heard too many of these stories and they always blame the phone provider and never take responsibility for their mistake.
images are not permitted in sigs
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2008
1396 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
Kris81 wrote: Why would you give Rogers a hard time? They are not the ones to blame.

It's like going to Wendy's drive through, ordering a double cheeseburger, they give you a single cheeseburger, and you are upset at Ford, because you drove your Focus to the drive through.
I don't understand this... because I don't drive a Ford

Only losers drive Fords..especially the Ford Focus
My Rogers Plan: 250 DT, Unlim. inc., Unlim. E/W @ 8pm, 100 CDN LD, 100 txt sent/unlim. rec., CID/VM/Call forward & transfer = $15.90/month after all tax and fees.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3160 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto
wilsonlam97 wrote: Do some research. I got dinged before on a phone that was never ever used for texting as well.
Cool story bro. I'll go back in time 6 months and see if if I care then more than I care now.
Aug 1, 2012
249 posts
22 upvotes
BC
I always check my rogers' bill every month, sometimes they charged me twice.
May 3, 2004
93 posts
49 upvotes
spike1128 wrote: OP! I think your wife got ding these because she possibly accident hit a link to that service through free apps. It happens all the time. It is charged through your phone provider and there is nothing you can do to get the money back. It is a pure scam I think. Avoid free apps at all cost.
even his wife did that, how come the third party can charge your Rogers account? What if somebody play your cell number?
Mar 1, 2008
473 posts
15 upvotes
hoob wrote: Who the hell is Pat Foran and why should we (I) care?
You shouldn't care, thanks.
No nappy no happy!!
Deal Expert
Oct 7, 2010
15536 posts
5790 upvotes
wl09 wrote: even his wife did that, how come the third party can charge your Rogers account? What if somebody play your cell number?
Not possible to charge without access through the wireless network from phone provider. I doubt they can charge you anything if you were on a tablet instead of a phone. It is a complete scam that they charge your provider for services. It is almost like you accidentally hit "pay per view" on your cable box.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
Take responsibility. Next people will be asking the telecom companies to help wipe there a$$
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2006
2865 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
This is genius. They operate outside the country so nothing can happen to them. Wireless providers won't defend their customers from fraudulent charges. Almost the perfect crime.

Run this same scam back at India and call it 'Arranged Marriage Wife Finder'.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19790 posts
3419 upvotes
Woodbridge
My boy got charged for this BS.

I agree it's genius.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2003
2173 posts
883 upvotes
MAINMAN wrote: Just got off the phone with Rogers. Last month I got dinged 9.99 third party charge for fortune telling subscription. It was a text with nothing. Talked to the manager and given $5 for good will. At the same time they blocked this premium service. This month I got charged again. I called Rogers and they said said due to the billing cycle I was charged twice, I should talk to IFORTUNE. I said I like to talk to the manager and wanted a written statement that this will stop but he said they changed the policy and I need to go to Rogers.com and do the chat. I told him I will write to newspaper. After a long time of song and dance he said there is nothing they can do. After the call I called IFORTUNE and got some lady in India (surprise) and asked to cancelled the subscription. I am not sure asking for refund. I am afraid they will ask for name, address and email. I am mad. I will write to Pat Foran to see if they can give Rogers a hard time.
People who threaten to 'write to the newspaper' make me laugh.

Very 80's. Who cares.

Deal with your own problems.
Nov 10, 2004
892 posts
690 upvotes
Chatham
Looks like most ppl that are affected is with rogers. Makes one wonder if rogers is in on the scam...
Apr 30, 2008
107 posts
84 upvotes
if your in a app and you click an ad by mistake (such as a fortune cookie) it will bring up a page. if you click the next page which is a huge button that says agree. you will be robbed every month. good luck trying to stop or reverse the charges
Jan 19, 2014
1 posts
Toronto
MAINMAN wrote: Just got off the phone with Rogers. Last month I got dinged 9.99 third party charge for fortune telling subscription. It was a text with nothing. Talked to the manager and given $5 for good will. At the same time they blocked this premium service. This month I got charged again. I called Rogers and they said said due to the billing cycle I was charged twice, I should talk to IFORTUNE. I said I like to talk to the manager and wanted a written statement that this will stop but he said they changed the policy and I need to go to Rogers.com and do the chat. I told him I will write to newspaper. After a long time of song and dance he said there is nothing they can do. After the call I called IFORTUNE and got some lady in India (surprise) and asked to cancelled the subscription. I am not sure asking for refund. I am afraid they will ask for name, address and email. I am mad. I will write to Pat Foran to see if they can give Rogers a hard time.
...Hi there,

I too just found out that I fortune had been scamming me through Rogers for the past few months...
Mar 2, 2013
364 posts
27 upvotes
Langley
I fortune is known scam..I happened to me too..they said I must have clicked an ad..they did send me a cheque of 10$ back but it was such a hassle
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
2028 posts
173 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
D-Roc wrote: Why would you sign up for this type of entertainment? Once they get you suckered in, it is hard to get them to stop.
+1

You signed up for it. Rogers has nothing to do with this...
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
361 upvotes
kevindqc wrote: Sorry, it's not.

An app can't know your phone number.

Really?
TelephonyManager tMgr = (TelephonyManager)mAppContext.getSystemService(Context.TELEPHONY_SERVICE);
String mPhoneNumber = tMgr.getLine1Number();

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)