• Last Updated:
  • Dec 19th, 2019 5:57 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
2687 posts
2982 upvotes

Scam calling using the court or government number

Beware of a call that comes from a legit court or CRA number, on which they ask you to talk to an officer. They spoof the number, and use it to enforce their legitimacy.

To CRA, or the court's point. They wouldn't call you through their general inquiry number, but they would call from a private line if they did.

Just a PSA.
Items need gone fast:
Amazon Echo Dot 3rd Gen - SOLD
Amazon Echo Input
Crib White
TV Stand
17 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
3043 posts
671 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
this is already known. hardly breaking news but yes we already know about this.
Hi
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
11562 posts
1054 upvotes
Brampton
Good reminder. Some peeps on here with court cases could fall for the scam.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
6445 posts
6624 upvotes
Vancouver
Just ask for the "employee's" name and which office they work for, and say that you'll call them back using the public phone number for that office. That's what I did when I suspected a call from Scotiabank was fraudulent. It turned out to actually be Scotiabank, lol.
Last edited by Kiraly on Dec 16th, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
2687 posts
2982 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: this is already known. hardly breaking news but yes we already know about this.
Scam calls are known, and not earth shattering. But scam with spoofing legit institutions phone numbers is worrisome, my method is always to ignore any unrecognized number, and google the number to find out about it, but when googling it to find out its a court house with enforcement on it, that makes you sweat a little thinking why would the court call me. I am just flagging it for whoever is in my situation and is getting such call that gets them off guard.
Items need gone fast:
Amazon Echo Input
Crib White
TV Stand
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
2687 posts
2982 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Just ask for the "employee's" name and which office they work for, and say that you'll call them back using the public phone number for that office. That's what I did when I suspected a call from Scotiabank was fraudulent. It turned out to actually be Scotiabank, lol.
I ignored the call, but dialed the courthouse number, and they told me that it is not them calling, and that if they would call they would have their number blocked.
Items need gone fast:
Amazon Echo Input
Crib White
TV Stand
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5867 posts
846 upvotes
Scarborough
don't pick up any unrecognizable or unknown number......let it go to messages.
these days most calls are spam/fraudsters/telemarketers (all human scum)
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14638 posts
3930 upvotes
London
PriceHunter wrote: I ignored the call, but dialed the courthouse number, and they told me that it is not them calling, and that if they would call they would have their number blocked.
There’s a new variation of this called “line trapping “ . You think you’ve hung up on them, but are still actually connected.

When you dial the legit courthouse number to verify the person, you aren’t really connecting to the legit courthouse because you are still connected to the scammers. The scammer fake the legit courthouse and now you think everything is real

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/12/08/new- ... s-hang-up/
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
2687 posts
2982 upvotes
l69norm wrote: There’s a new variation of this called “line trapping “ . You think you’ve hung up on them, but are still actually connected.

When you dial the legit courthouse number to verify the person, you aren’t really connecting to the legit courthouse because you are still connected to the scammers. The scammer fake the legit courthouse and now you think everything is real

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/12/08/new- ... s-hang-up/
Wow, that's on a different level. However, I called using a different phone :). So I bypassed such thing without thinking of itm
Items need gone fast:
Amazon Echo Input
Crib White
TV Stand
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8251 posts
2158 upvotes
Mississauga
PriceHunter wrote: Beware of a call that comes from a legit court or CRA number, on which they ask you to talk to an officer. They spoof the number, and use it to enforce their legitimacy.

To CRA, or the court's point. They wouldn't call you through their general inquiry number, but they would call from a private line if they did.

Just a PSA.
Thanks for the post. What will they do next. Too bad they didnt use there energy to help the planet.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
3043 posts
671 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
l69norm wrote: There’s a new variation of this called “line trapping “ . You think you’ve hung up on them, but are still actually connected.
does line trapping work on cell phones too or just landlines? and secondly your apostrophes ' and quotes "" are angled, not straight like mine, how did u do that?
Hi
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14638 posts
3930 upvotes
London
GoodFellaz wrote: does line trapping work on cell phones too or just landlines? and secondly your apostrophes ' and quotes "" are angled, not straight like mine, how did u do that?
No idea how it works, they must exploiting some loopholes in the telephone/ cell system

I use opera mini for posting, so I assume the “ is related to that
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
8808 posts
1099 upvotes
Never pick up. They all threaten you of arrest but dont mention why. I learn to back track to the government website and later they post that someone is impersonating them by spoofing.

Too many calls from Indian and Chinese fraudsters call centers.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7427 posts
3699 upvotes
Kootenays
New rules at the provider level start today: https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/the-end-o ... -1.4736578
Dec. 19...The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission set a target of Dec. 19, 2019, for communications service providers to have taken steps to apply call-blocking to their networks.
Calls from numbers that exceed 15 digits, or numbers that can’t be dialed (“spoofed” numbers such as 000-000-0000), should no longer reach Canadian phones if the system is effective.
March 2020...The CRTC has additional deadlines for providers, including March 2020 to put in place a system for tracing the origin of spam calls.
September 2020...September 2020 to implement a caller ID authentication and verification measure.

It's about bloody time!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5867 posts
846 upvotes
Scarborough
sept 2020 is too far away, it should've been implemented already...