• Oct 11th, 2017 5:02 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 17, 2013
778 posts
379 upvotes

Scam - CRA lawsuit call 613-927-9688

Most RFDs are educated enough to know this is a scam but for those uninformed:

If you get a recorded message saying that CRA is filing a law suit against you and to call 613-927-9688, it is a scam.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2005
1425 posts
182 upvotes
stack21 wrote: Most RFDs are educated enough to know this is a scam but for those uninformed:

If you get a recorded message saying that CRA is filing a law suit against you and to call 613-927-9688, it is a scam.
Did they ask for money or personal info? If not, then it must be someone having fun.
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
781 upvotes
Last time somebody got scammy letter from CRA, it was real.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
2931 posts
629 upvotes
Mississauga
Just got a call from these guys. I wonder where they're really calling from.
Jesus saves, I spend
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2007
3866 posts
1027 upvotes
Lazy Susan wrote: Just got a call from these guys. I wonder where they're really calling from.
I was called by these scammers. Although the area code is 613, they are actually from India. I called them back, confronted them and they openly admitted they were scamming - there were several voices with Indian accents in the background which made me think its being run from some call centre...
Jul 23, 2015
1 posts
gomyone wrote: I was called by these scammers. Although the area code is 613, they are actually from India. I called them back, confronted them and they openly admitted they were scamming - there were several voices with Indian accents in the background which made me think its being run from some call centre...
So they openly admitted they were scamming? Scamming for what? And I guess nobody can do anything about it? Just got the exact voice message this morning, how nice to start a day! > :(
May 6, 2009
262 posts
64 upvotes
I've had these guys call a couple of times in the last 6-8 weeks; once pretending to be from CRA, the other from Immigration Canada or something (by the way, although the number can vary... inevitably, it ends up being a 613-***-**** number... for now).

Anyway, I agree they're calling from some Indian call centre, but the easiest way to know that they're fakes is how trigger happy they are to make threats and promise to send a cop to your door step if you don't comply. These guys are also very short tempered; I had one swearing at me up and down in no time (i.e., they are completely unprofessional).

Try to provoke the person if you're ever in doubt... all their scripts go out the window.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41796 posts
30053 upvotes
Center of Universe
Not only do I screen incoming calls, I also screen VM...straight to the trash.
Sep 17, 2017
1 posts
The same scam with the phone 613-707-2033 from CRA stating that I have a debt by recorded message. When I called back they asked me personal information. When I told them that I need a proof that it was CRA, the guy mediterranean accent hanged up.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7399 posts
2413 upvotes
T dot 6
Got this same scam just now from 705-530-9530.

Left a voicemail so I called back knowing these are scammers. They said they were from the CRA and officer Greg Williams was handling my case. He was busy on a call and to give him my full name. I said, if you called me and were from the CRA, you should have my full name. He said he needs me to verify. I said, you called me, you should have that info. Then they hung up. Had a distinctive accent, I'm sure they located in another country.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Dec 17, 2009
7 posts
toronto
Just got the called and reluctantly called back at the given name................... indian scammer pretending to be pakistani................ it was hilarious too. But just to make sure it was indian ...........i started swearing at tendulkar (indian worship this cricket player like god). And boy did that work................lol.
Dec 17, 2009
7 posts
toronto
Just got the called and reluctantly called back at the given name................... indian scammer pretending to be pakistani................ it was hilarious too. But just to make sure it was indian ...........i started swearing at tendulkar (indian worship this cricket player like god). And boy did that work................lol.
Sep 20, 2011
1 posts
I called them back too, and I actually work for the Canadian Government. The guy didn't know what he was talking about. The weird thing is that they have been calling my house and my cellphone. Wonder how they got my numbers??? Especially since I am on the 'do no call' list.