• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2019 6:28 pm
[OP]
Aug 21, 2010
169 posts
55 upvotes
toronto

is this a scam..as i have a vehicle for sale

person is intereste din my vehicle which i have on kijji, than mentions can i have your email address
and next message to my email is

Hi, I am sorry for the late response,i was away from my phone.I am still very much interested and the final price is fair to me because that's the best price I can find anyway I would like to proceed with the purchase immediately if you still have it for sale but I won't be able to come view it as I am out of town for business,so be considerate with me i just need a honest transaction because.I will send you a Certified Check in the mail for the payment and when you confirmed to me that you received the Check and have your cash in hand, I will have the shipping agent to pick up the item from you or ship it to me.The payment will arrive within 2 days I don't mind adding an extra $80 just for you to secure the item for me as i want to get it to someone as a gift.Please do reply with your full name to write on the check, full address to mail the certified Check ,final agreed price and contact.

is this a scam
41 replies
Jan 12, 2018
22 posts
37 upvotes
Sounds like a scam..they used to do it all the time for mobile phones.. Interesting part is that PayPal is missing from the equation....maybe because it is a vehicle and it costs more than a cell phone.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
1797 posts
1144 upvotes
Markham
I dunno. Doesn’t really sound fishy as the buyer seems prepared to pay you with a certified check. He would need a name and address to send, but he could also e-transfer I guess. If you go that route, you can always meet his shipping agent at a neutral location with the certified check.

I mean, if you get your money in the end that is.

Edit: Wasn’t aware of the cell phone scams.

Koodo $40/8GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
3436 posts
2636 upvotes
Oakville, ON
your best bet wrote:
Aug 18th, 2019 10:39 pm
person is intereste din my vehicle which i have on kijji, than mentions can i have your email address
and next message to my email is

Hi, I am sorry for the late response,i was away from my phone.I am still very much interested and the final price is fair to me because that's the best price I can find anyway I would like to proceed with the purchase immediately if you still have it for sale but I won't be able to come view it as I am out of town for business,so be considerate with me i just need a honest transaction because.I will send you a Certified Check in the mail for the payment and when you confirmed to me that you received the Check and have your cash in hand, I will have the shipping agent to pick up the item from you or ship it to me.The payment will arrive within 2 days I don't mind adding an extra $80 just for you to secure the item for me as i want to get it to someone as a gift.Please do reply with your full name to write on the check, full address to mail the certified Check ,final agreed price and contact.

is this a scam
Scam.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
3436 posts
2636 upvotes
Oakville, ON
HDawg wrote:
Aug 18th, 2019 10:49 pm
I dunno. Doesn’t really sound fishy as the buyer seems prepared to pay you with a certified check. He would need a name and address to send, but he could also e-transfer I guess. If you go that route, you can always meet his shipping agent at a neutral location with the certified check.

Nope - scam. There’ll be a last minute snag and they’ll ask to cover a small amount to deal with the snag. You send them $50 or $100 and never hear from them again.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2016
1608 posts
498 upvotes
major well known scam methodology
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24677 posts
4954 upvotes
Usually if you have to ask, "Is this a scam?" It is.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10251 posts
2552 upvotes
Markham
ES_Revenge wrote:
Aug 18th, 2019 11:29 pm
Usually if you have to ask, "Is this a scam?" It is.
Exactly my thought even when I was just reading the thread title.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Jul 29, 2019
31 posts
20 upvotes
your best bet wrote:
Aug 18th, 2019 10:39 pm
i just need a honest transaction because.I will send you a Certified Check in the mail
This right there. Not having a capital "i" and having that period after because despite it being a sentence that should continue after because. After reading the post again, you can tell there are other grammar mistakes in the person's message. Number one triggers for scams is the level of spelling and grammar mistakes one can find. Such mistakes are usually not your typical mistake for people who don't know English.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
2819 posts
339 upvotes
Pickering
Certified check will be a fake, you'll deposit it and the car will be gone, few days later the bank will inform you and bye bye car.
Wise men speak because they have something to say, Fools because they have to say something.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1096 posts
439 upvotes
Durham
HDawg wrote:
Aug 18th, 2019 10:49 pm

Certified cheque means nothing anymore. Bank will still hold until the issuing bank verifies it. Sometimes they may fax the issuing branch to expedite, but nothing is released right away anymore with a certified cheque/draft.