None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
7749 posts
2790 upvotes
Southern Ontario

Scam from paypal@e.paypal.ca

Just got this email, have to admit, the graphics looked legit on my phone but I would never give out banking info.
Phish?

"You are approaching your PayPal spending limit.

Thanks for using PayPal!

We've noticed that you've almost reached your spending limit on your account. To avoid disappointments and enjoy unlimited transactions, just add your bank account to your PayPal account. It's a more flexible way to pay online!

Adding your bank account only takes a few minutes. Simply click the link below, login to your PayPal account, and follow the instructions. If you want to learn more about your spending limit, simply login to your account to check your limit online."
31 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
15498 posts
3369 upvotes
Why wouldn't it be? It's not like it's e.paypal.ca.fake.domain.com...
That's not to say it can't be fake because anyone can send an email from e.paypal.ca.

Just log in to paypal via paypal.ca and add your bank account there.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
1269 posts
243 upvotes
Why is this even worth a thread? Do we need to start a thread about every phishing scam to comes into our mailboxes now?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
7749 posts
2790 upvotes
Southern Ontario
death_hawk wrote:
Apr 20th, 2013 6:24 pm
Why wouldn't it be? It's not like it's e.paypal.ca.fake.domain.com...
That's not to say it can't be fake because anyone can send an email from e.paypal.ca.

Just log in to paypal via paypal.ca and add your bank account there.
Oh, I didn't know that, thanks.

I logged in via the app. Balance is $0, there's no "limit" I'm approaching.
And I've always had a CC associated with it.
Aug 22, 2010
881 posts
73 upvotes
Send me the email headers. If you're not sure how to, let me know what client you use for your email.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
184 upvotes
Surrey
AncasterRFD wrote:
Apr 20th, 2013 5:43 pm
Just got this email, have to admit, the graphics looked legit on my phone but I would never give out banking info.
Phishers!
As others have said, could be legit.

Before you click on the link, view the link first, typically by hovering your mouse over the link without clicking. Normally the URL will appear in full. If it is <something>.paypal.ca, it's just a subdomain or server on their main host. If it doesn't end in paypal.ca, it's a scam.
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Simply scan my avatar to go straight to the donation page!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2004
9692 posts
460 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Don't know about you guys, but all emails I get from PayPal are from *.paypal.com. If you go to http://www.paypal.ca, it redirects you to paypal.com.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
8190 posts
1940 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
AncasterRFD wrote:
Apr 20th, 2013 5:43 pm
Simply click the link below, login to your PayPal account, and follow the instructions.
Learn the most obvious sign of scamming/phishing e-mails: No reputable financial (or other for that matter) organization will ask you to click on a link in an e-mail in order to login or to update personal information. Period.

There's no need to examine the URL beneath that link, although it doesn't hurt if all you want to do is confirm that it's bogus.

P.S. another way to confirm that an e-mail is bogus is to Google on some of the text, e.g. https://www.google.com/search?q=You+are ... ding+limit and see what comes up. In this case it's obvious this is a longstanding phishing expedition.
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
7749 posts
2790 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Now that I'm on a computer instead of my phone:

Under 'My Account', 'Limits on Your Account'. There is no such thing as 'Spending Limit'

There is 'Sending' and 'Withdrawal' limit and I am nowhere close on either.

In the email, 'Add your bank' is this link https://email-edg.paypal.com/r/K9QUF7D/ ... 2R9F6/HQ/h

What do you think?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
7749 posts
2790 upvotes
Southern Ontario
shopper_of_things wrote:
Apr 20th, 2013 6:29 pm
Why is this even worth a thread? Do we need to start a thread about every phishing scam to comes into our mailboxes now?
Thanks, you're quite helpful.
I rarely get phishing emails.

Sometimes it's nice to talk to people about the specific issue on top of googling.

If it turns out to be a scam, others are informed.
If it doesn't, people still learn by the replies.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2003
2438 posts
56 upvotes
rabbit wrote:
Apr 21st, 2013 3:33 am
Don't know about you guys, but all emails I get from PayPal are from *.paypal.com. If you go to http://www.paypal.ca, it redirects you to paypal.com.
And I have two legitimate emails from the last two months from paypal@e.paypal.ca. Some emails seem to come from .ca as well. And based on the link he posted, it seems legitimate.

Whether or not the email is accurate, well it could just be PayPal trying to get him to add a bank account.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2003
2438 posts
56 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote:
Apr 21st, 2013 10:04 am
Now that I'm on a computer instead of my phone:

Under 'My Account', 'Limits on Your Account'. There is no such thing as 'Spending Limit'

There is 'Sending' and 'Withdrawal' limit and I am nowhere close on either.

In the email, 'Add your bank' is this link https://email-edg.paypal.com/r/K9QUF7D/ ... 2R9F6/HQ/h

What do you think?
Although that link looks legitimate, we would have to see the HTML source to confirm. Could be the mouse over link shows different from the actual link in the email.
× < >