• Jan 5th, 2015 11:50 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
7260 posts
128 upvotes

Scam ? VISA Mastercard Redemption phone call

Just got off the phone (she called my cell) with a lady claiming from a Montreal Rewards Redemption Centre. She said because I'm a good active user for my VISA and Mastercard, they will send me Petro Canada gift cards, etc. etc..... went on for 2 minutes, all I need to do is pay for shipping $1.99 and fill in a survey on these rewards.

She was about to verify my shipping address when I stopped her and started asking my questions to check this out.

- she knew my first name (and kept using it), but it wasn't my full first name. All my VISA, Mastercards have my full first name, she didn't know it
- she had a wrong spelling of my last name (close, but still wrongly spelled, of course my credit cards are spelled correctly)
- she said she was the supervisor when I asked, when I asked who's her boss then, she started spewing out her lines about this reward benefits again, completely ignoring my question

So I said: Well, you have my wrong first and last name , which is clearly on my VISA and Mastercard, I'm thinking this is a scam and I'd like to ask for your contact info please. She hung up.

Strangely, not sure how they do it, my phone log doesn't show their number, not even "unknown number". When they first called me, the call display showed "M#########" (# was a bunch of numbers I don't remember now).

Has anyone gotten this call? Do you think this was a scam? I tried Googling, found some similiar but in USA.
Proof markets are trading with Technical Analysis: proof-why-we-not-using-fundamentals-market-1201524/
A common sense guide to Technical Analysis: http://www.stansberryresearch.com/pub/r ... Guide.html
My Online Trading Academy (Toronto) review: online-trading-academy-my-experience-952660/
My real RFD stock trading tracking: tracking-my-stock-picks-rfd-1228103/
43 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1609 posts
67 upvotes
Scam. No legitimate bank is going to hang up on a customer that wants to confirm who they're talking to.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
3966 posts
203 upvotes
Scarborough
Seems all the scams from 3rd world are now happening in Canada, thanks to the lax laws against consumer protection.

We need to bring back the death penalty for these scammers.
Note: I do not work for any transit system.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2004
6704 posts
45 upvotes
Absolute scam. The credit card company would have your file with correct information on hand before calling. Any company that has the authorization to call on behalf of the credit card company would also have access to this information. If they wanted to thank you with some rewards they can easily mail it to you themselves. They get unlimited postal service.

Also, I would call your credit company and inform them of this scam because somehow your private personal information is out there in the open and getting into the hands of scammers. Look into what you and your credit card company can do to keep your information safe. You may also want to look into protecting yourself from identity theft as well.
Innovatively Silent. :cool:

My Heatware (68-0-0) is under: Cafe_333

TR-Ultra120@TLF-S12-EW / Accelero S1 / Convection Spreaders
TLF-S12-EW@case / SP-FC70-BL / 5&7V / 120&PSU Vibration Gaskets
UC-A3FATR2-B / S12-430 / Precut Sonata Acoustic Dampeners
Banned
Aug 8, 2012
1115 posts
83 upvotes
Dallas, Texas.
For the most part do they not contact you through the mail only?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
7260 posts
128 upvotes
Great comments, thank you. Very true, I better look into more of this. Protection for myself at the very least.

One time, got another phone call from TD credit card, offering to free upgrade my card to something higher, just need my "okay". They did have all my info and seemed legit. But that guy was so freakin annoying (bad English and ignoring all my questions, just reading his stupid script), I told them to never call me again.

Like someone said, if it was a reward, they could have easily mailed it to me without phoning me. Just like Rogers, they email me their free gift or mail me a letter with special deals. They don't need to phone me first to ask "oh, we have a free gift for you.... blah blah"
Proof markets are trading with Technical Analysis: proof-why-we-not-using-fundamentals-market-1201524/
A common sense guide to Technical Analysis: http://www.stansberryresearch.com/pub/r ... Guide.html
My Online Trading Academy (Toronto) review: online-trading-academy-my-experience-952660/
My real RFD stock trading tracking: tracking-my-stock-picks-rfd-1228103/
Nov 28, 2010
171 posts
36 upvotes
Hi there rfdrfd. My name's Chris and I work for TD. We read your post and just wanted to let you know that you can call us to change your contact preferences if you'd prefer not to be called. We hope that helps!
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
2673 posts
1111 upvotes
TD_Canada wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2012 6:30 am
Hi there rfdrfd. My name's Chris and I work for TD. We read your post and just wanted to let you know that you can call us to change your contact preferences if you'd prefer not to be called. We hope that helps!
Are you saying this might be a legitimate call & that the TD does this complete with spelling your name wrong? I highly doubt it & don't see how changing contact preferences are going to help.
If you can't find anyone else to blame :( .....You're just not looking hard enough. :lol:
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
3966 posts
203 upvotes
Scarborough
lol @ banks that hire people that can't even converse in English.
Note: I do not work for any transit system.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2002
1726 posts
141 upvotes
North
rfdrfd wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2012 1:15 pm
Just got off the phone (she called my cell) with a lady claiming from a Montreal Rewards Redemption Centre. She said because I'm a good active user for my VISA and Mastercard, ...

:lol: ... ;) . And her name is 'Candy' - well, at least for you.
Apr 14, 2010
405 posts
134 upvotes
I'm pretty sure that VISA and Mastercard don't share information like that. They wouldn't want to reward you for using the other companies card!
Feb 2, 2012
8 posts
I felt obligated to post because I had a similar experience just last week. This guy called up and told me I was entitled to reclaim my overpaid bank fees. The only problem was, the guy mentioned a bank I haven't done any business with. As much as it would be nice to get a refund, the call was just too obvious a scam.
Feb 2, 2012
8 posts
And guess what? I went to http://callercenter.com to report the phone number and I was surprised when I got to the website. 19 other people have already posted complaints against the caller. Apparently, he's been making the rounds all this time.
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3072 posts
96 upvotes
Mississauga
I don't answer calls that I don't recognize or not in my contact list and numbers that are unknown/private because of legit sales people who keep hounding me about my services and scammers. A private number has been hitting my number non stop and thank God I'm using a app that just picks up the call and hangs up right away. Checking the call log, the caller was persistent even though the call wouldn't go through for 3 weeks straight.
× < >