Off Topic

[SCAM] BE WARN of Just Energy, Energy Savings, Elecricity and Gas Retailer !!!!

Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2007
2885 posts
225 upvotes
CALGARY

[SCAM] BE WARN of Just Energy, Energy Savings, Elecricity and Gas Retailer !!!!

I just wanted to warn everybody on RFD to be careful about signing a contract with this company. I was hit by this scam five years ago when Alberta Energy Savings aka Just Energy or US Energy Savings…etc**. came to my door and signed up a contract with my brother telling him that our Enmax (power provider) contract is going to expire in next 30 days and gave him impression that they are Enmax! They trick people by saying "can we see your current Enmax bill, just want to make sure you are not being overcharged for Electricity and Gas" My brother moved with me a few weeks back so he didn’t know much about the system. By the time I knew it was too late ie over 10 days. My brother isn’t even owner of the property that they made him sign up. We paid almost double the price of what we'd have normally paid.

I’m happy that 5 year long torture is over in next 30 days and I’m moving back with Enmax. I was surprised to see the Just Energy guy showed up and asked me if I wanted to renew the contract! I said NO. I called them today to make sure that they have the information that I don't want to renew the contract and they didn't have any information...WTF!! ARE YOU F’ING SERIOUS!!! I just received a letter for them (again) if I renew my contract, they will give me $25 Tim Hortons gift card! THANK YOU, but NO THANKS!

I’d say just tell your friends and family about this company. If Govt. is dumb enough not to be able to stop this, we can by providing other with the feedback! It’s just crazy! I hate this company! I hate US and Canadian Govt. for being useless in this regard. They should have a system in place e.g. over XXXX complains = no longer eligible to do business…period!

p.s. I just wanted to inform people who may run into this kind of situation, I understand most of you already know that door-to-door is not the best way to shop, so keep the flaming to yourself.

**Just Energy has many other names such as Energy Savings Group, Momentis, Ontario Energy Savings, Alberta Energy Savings, B.C Energy Savings, Quebec Energy Savings, Universal Energy, National Home Services and down in the USA, Just Energy was formally known as US Energy Savings Corp.

Here is a blog that has described the business practices that Just Energy is getting away with.

http://www.keyframe5.com/just-energy-wh ... /#comments
For Sale in Calgary :
PS4 GAMES - NHL 16 + NBA LIVE 16 + Assassin's Creed Syndicate = $85
268 replies
May 4, 2004
466 posts
23 upvotes
Wow, you stayed with them for 5 years because you missed a 10 day deadline?
I would have fought that tooth and nail, especially since they signed your brother up, that's a big red loop hole.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5137 posts
49 upvotes
Mirx wrote:
Aug 31st, 2010 2:03 pm
Wow, you stayed with them for 5 years because you missed a 10 day deadline?
I would have fought that tooth and nail, especially since they signed your brother up, that's a big red loop hole.

You actually stayed w them 5 years?
I would have been harassing them to get the $5 back.
esp since your brother is not owner of the property..which to me would mean that legally he has no authority to sign documents for you.

Unless u have powder of attorney and he can run your life then,lol.

I would even go as far as questioing their contract and ask for the 5 years of extra fees back since he is not the homeowner.
not sure if you would really want to bother at this point though.

with shady companies like that,not that I deal with them I would always get something in writing.

I had one of these companies tell me that the fee I was paying now (lets say .25 per whatever) is a higher amount than their current fee of .35 per whatever (as an example).

the kid that came to my door tried to convince me their fees were lower than my bill....kind of funny actually.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2007
2885 posts
225 upvotes
CALGARY
You can't really do much when you sign a contract with them. As my brother came here to live with me, they would not terminate the contract on the basis that he's not the owner. Telling me that he's over 18 and current resident of that property, he would pay the bill as tenant or whatever. They wanted huge cancellation fees as well.

I was worrying about heavy cancellation fees and didn't cancel the contract but in the end I paid too much for the services I got. Anyway I'm happy that I'm out of it and I want to warn others. Just because they changed their name doesn't mean they've changed their practices. They are same bunch of greedy people trying to hunt innocent people.

Letting few people in your area / family, especially your parents (as I've heard they take advantage of seniors or people who don't have English as their first language). They target low income areas, as they think they are easiest to fool with "just want to make sure you are not being over-charged" statement.

There practices are not illegal but most definitely un-ethical!
For Sale in Calgary :
Oct 15, 2007
852 posts
69 upvotes
Mrbj wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2010 1:26 pm
You can't really do much when you sign a contract with them. As my brother came here to live with me, they would not terminate the contract on the basis that he's not the owner. Telling me that he's over 18 and current resident of that property, he would pay the bill as tenant or whatever. They wanted huge cancellation fees as well.

This doesn't make sense. Did you ever consult a lawyer? A tenant shouldn't be able to act as an agent for the owner of the property in this manner. If this was true, then I can see a lot of abuses against owners of rental properties being royally screwed by their tenants, especially, pissed off ones!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2007
2885 posts
225 upvotes
CALGARY
Tacoma wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2010 2:04 pm
This doesn't make sense. Did you ever consult a lawyer? A tenant shouldn't be able to act as an agent for the owner of the property in this manner. If this was true, then I can see a lot of abuses against owners of rental properties being royally screwed by their tenants, especially, pissed off ones!

No, I didn't consult a lawyer in this regard [might have cost me more to hire one]. Your statement and example do make sense, but I coudn't do much at that point of time [may be I didn't push hard enough] and then it became a norm. Anyway, point of this conversation is just to make sure there are no more victims of this scam! Especially since they have changed their name, it's easy to get fooled.
For Sale in Calgary :
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9172 posts
381 upvotes
Markham
I used to work for one of these guys, it's an ugly industry, people will make fraudulent contracts and even completely lie or misidentify themselves as people from the utility company, which is not allowed.

Just DO NOT sign a contract at the door, always read the content, some people not familiar with these things are easily pressured and conned into it. It may or may not be a good deal depending how energy rates go.
www.energyshop.com is a good place to learn more about energy rates
:lol:
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
182 upvotes
Surrey
Mrbj wrote:

So, your brother can sign a contract of sale of the house because he lives there and is over 18...even if you guys are renters in the house, too?

This doesn't make sense - respectfully, I don't think you tried hard enough. :-)

If your brother was not on the lease (assuming it was rented), not an account holder or authorised person for the original energy supplier contract or not the owner of the house (assuming it's owned), these are just some of the grounds to make the contract void.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5824 posts
500 upvotes
London
FWIW these days you have to REAFFIRM your contract with them. They will send a letter out to you that you have to call them or send back to them to confirm the contract. You can also do it by phone (I'm sure they will phone if you don't send it back)

So if you 'accidently' sign up (as I did) just MAKE SURE no one reaffirms the contract and you are in the clear to stay with your current provider :D That has to be done within 60 days (I think) but not before 10 days (I think)... This is definitely an ongoing problem, there are other threads about canceling with these guys...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2007
2885 posts
225 upvotes
CALGARY
Thanks everybody for the replies. I'm happy that I'm getting out of contract this month. But let everybody know about these scammers.

Just read about this Superior Energy Management in Ontario in this thread... they are way way worse that AB Energy.

They even sign the contract for your convenience. WTF.. http://forums.redflagdeals.com/superior ... am-646831/

I can't believe that we have to live in this society among these BS companies. And Govt. doesn't even do anything about it - all they want is TAX MONEY! Thank you Capitalism!
For Sale in Calgary :
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5137 posts
49 upvotes
Mrbj wrote:

I was worrying about heavy cancellation fees and didn't cancel the contract but in the end I paid too much for the services I got. Anyway I'm happy that I'm out of it and I want to warn others. Just because they changed their name doesn't mean they've changed their practices. They are same bunch of greedy people trying to hunt innocent people.

Letting few people in your area / family, especially your parents (as I've heard they take advantage of seniors or people who don't have English as their first language). They target low income areas, as they think they are easiest to fool with "just want to make sure you are not being over-charged" statement.

There practices are not illegal but most definitely un-ethical!
I would still try to harass them into giving the money back and canceling.
Ok, maybe not harass but bother them enough and go to people above the call centre.
Anyways being a resident of the property does not give your brother authority to make legal decisions-like he can not sell your house for you unless he is a co-owner and to me that same applies for contracts.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
394 upvotes
GT&A
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7651 posts
800 upvotes
You never ever show any of your bills to any door-to-door salesperson. Although in my experience, I have had a few extremely aggressive ones show up at my door, one of them showed up 2 or 3 times and claimed each time it was his first time going through the neighbourhood and he doesn't remember me. I had to resort to threatening to call the cops on him before he left us alone. He even once tried to barge his way past me into the house to look for our gas bill when I refused to bring it and show it to him! What a piece of work that little guy was.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2009
1149 posts
48 upvotes
Yep. They tricked and pressured my wife into signing up with them, convincing her it was cheaper and almost had to be done or our lives would be ruined by the Utility billing us thousands a month and yadda yadda. I love my wife but she isn't the best consumer and not good at knowing when these things are bull.

FORTUNATELY they then needed to get us to confirm via mail or on the phone to finalize the contract. Based on what I'd read online we knew not even to answer the phone when they called (hooray for call display!) as I'd heard rumors that if you say the word "yes" to anything on the call ("Is this Mr So-and-So?" "Yes it is") they might use their recording of you saying the word "Yes" and claim it was your acceptance/confirmation of the contract. We ignored the calls for the 50 days (and they called every day, several times a day) and they gave up. Now I'm watching our bills to make sure they don't activate it anyway. Ugh.

The "No Soliciting" sign from the Dollar Store that is now on our door is the BEST dollar I've ever spent. Though one of these door-to-door energy types rang anyway and claimed he wasn't selling anything, but was there to ensure we were protected under law such and such and consumer protection act such and such and he NEEDS to inspect our bill. I declined and shut the door with a polite "not interested, thanks" and he moved to get into the doorway and started saying something about "what da f$# you mean you...". Freaked me the hell out.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5824 posts
500 upvotes
London
jetfire33 wrote:
Sep 14th, 2010 3:00 pm
I declined and shut the door with a polite "not interested, thanks" and he moved to get into the doorway and started saying something about "what da f$# you mean you...". Freaked me the hell out.

Wow, how rude. If he did that here I'd be finding out who he was (pretending I might be interested again to get his information) then definitely follow up with that!
× < >