Scammers and Warnings

Scammed by "ShiksKev" - (Real Name - Shelagh Broughton)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 9th, 2017 2:08 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
1755 posts
33 upvotes

Scammed by "ShiksKev" - (Real Name - Shelagh Broughton)

I had bought a couple of Apple Gift cards from this person before. Mid December she text messaged me and said that she had one more Apple giftcard for $308 and she would sell it for 200.

I sent her an EMT (yes I know I was stupid to use EMT) and she said as she soon as she receives it she will mail it out. After a couple of days she sent a message that she mailed it and that I should be receiving it soon.

After a week I got in touch with her again asking her about the gift card. She replied that due to the holiday season it might have been delayed. I gave her the benefit of doubt and waited a few weeks. Got in touch with her in January and asked her again.

I suggested that she should also get in touch with Canada Post as she must have sent it using registered mail. I also suggested that she get in touch with Apple.

After a week she she said she is going for minor surgery and she wont be able to reply to my messages for some time.

I waited again and sent her a couple of messages last week....this time I got a reply from her "boyfriend" that she is still in the hospital. By now I was certain I was scammed. I called her a couple of times earlier in the week and she stopped picking up the phone. I called her using a different number today and she picked up and mumbled something and hung up.

I sent her a message asking her to resolve this by next week as I had patiently waited since the 10th of december. Her response was that I was threatening her and that she is a legal assistant and her boyfriend is a "successful lawyer". and that I can do whatever I want and she wouldn't respond to my messages anymore.

I will be posting all SMS transcripts here for RFDers to see see for yourself how this scam artist went about duping me off 200 dollars. I will also be posting all her details below soon.

Below is the text message transcript starting from when I messaged her a few weeks after not having receiving the gift cards:

[QUOTE]

Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 7:49 PM
Me:
Hi Shelagh....I checked my mail today too and nothing....I am pretty certain the card is somehow lost or stolen. I just wanted to check with you if you got in touch with Apple.

Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 7:51 PM
I had a minor operation today so was unable but will do do first thing Monday morning and will find out then. So will be back to u Monday. :-(

Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 7:51 PM
Too nutty there on a Saturday

Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 1:47 PM
Tried apple Agee times already but 2 busy. I'm having surgery later so I might not get back to u with an answer till thurs at latest

Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 1:52 PM
Me:
Oh ok.....ill wait for you then. Wishing u god luck with the surgery. :-)

Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 8:43 PM
Me:
Any updates? Its over a month now.

Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 2:15 PM
She will be back at home by Tuesday. I will show her all these messages. I hope i send this correctly!

Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 5:47 PM
Me:
Any updates?

Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 11:11 AM
Me:
Hi Shelagh.....can you please tell me how can we resolve this as soon as possible. Please call me at your earliest convenience.

Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 11:46 AM
She's still not here but I will be speaking to her later today & will find out

Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 11:55 AM
Me:
Hey thats very rude of you....you just hung up on me. I am giving you until next week to either return my money or provide me with the apple gift card of 300 value.

Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 11:56 AM
Don't attempt to threaten me. Goodbye

Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 12:13 PM
Me:
I'm not threatening you in any way...If you don't resolve this issue by next week I will be taking all possible measures to get my hard earned money back - I will be filing a police complaint and also a case in small claims court - this is in no way a threat but actions i am being forced to take on account of your fraudulent behaviour.

Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Go ahead. My b.f is a successful lawyer & I am a legal assistants And know I did of engage in any fraudulent behavior so do what u wish

Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 12:20 PM
Me:
I definitely will. Being a lawyer and a legal assistant does not entitle you to scamming people and does not let you go scot free when you commit fraud.

Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 12:21 PM
No ones been scammed so I would refrain from libel. This conversation ends here.

Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Me:
Its plain and simple and clearly evident they way you scammed me. You never ever sent me the gift card in the mail. If you had you would have a record of the gift card number which you don't.

Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 12:24 PM
I did not engage in fraudulent behavior. I don't have a 100% rating by fraud. I feel badly if u indeed did not get it but it's not up to me to reimburse u. This convo ends here! I will now block all further contact

Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 12:24 PM
Me:
The conversation might end for you as you have 200 dollars of my hard earned money by having scammed me.

0 (1)
[/QUOTE]
70 replies
Banned
Nov 27, 2009
765 posts
205 upvotes
MID TORONTO St clai…
I have an excellent reputation and I am not responsible for your loss IF indeed it was Mohammed or Abdhul Muqueeth Syed Ali, whatever your name is

Feel free to publish as much as you wish.

For the record, Kevin was my X in 2003.
He is not a lawyer

I just read your post in full.
I had surgery and a mistake is now causing a second surgery
This can all be proven.
My b/f is not kevin
He was my X.

I suspected it was you this morning when I picked up the phone because
i was ignoring your text messages from last week but even though I am sure you are normally a fair enough man I knew exactly what you were going to try and pull ad I was not responsible for your problem
but since i don't deal with any 905 numbers that I am unfamiliar with, I assumed it was you
I did not mumble
I clearly told you i was in a meeting and told you I would call you back
You began to threaten me.
I hung up on you for that reason.

I have absolutely no idea what you are suggesting from the txt posts
but you are leaving out many of them
i have them all on record as well
i back mine up on my iPhone
but don't see the reason for them or i could post mine as well
But if you think these posts here will embarrass me, or create problems for me, you are mistaken for i haven't done anything wrong and don't have anything to be embarrassed or ashamed.

And no, the card was not sent by registered mail and you did not mention that to me
nor did you ask it to be

you only asked that i get in touch with apple
which i knew there was no point in doing

Please get all of your facts straight!

Thats as far as I will comment.
For legal reasons, I shall refrain from commenting further
"Any more irrelevant comments to pull out of your ass?"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
1755 posts
33 upvotes
ShiksKev wrote:
Feb 1st, 2012 8:25 pm
I have an excellent reputation and I am not responsible for your loss IF indeed it was

Feel free to publish as much as you wish.

For the record, Kevin was my X in 2003.
He is not a lawyer

I just read your post in full.
I had surgery and a mistake is now causing a second surgery
This can all be proven.
My b/f is not kevin
He was my X.

I suspected it was you this morning when I picked up the phone because
i was ignoring your text messages from last week but even though I am sure you are normally a fair enough man I knew exactly what you were going to try and pull ad I was not responsible for your problem
but since i don't deal with any 905 numbers that I am unfamiliar with, I assumed it was you
I did not mumble
I clearly told you i was in a meeting and told you I would call you back
You began to threaten me.
I hung up on you for that reason.

I have absolutely no idea what you are suggesting from the txt posts
But if you think these posts here will embarrass me, or create problems for me, you are mistaken for i haven't done anything wrong and don't have anything to be embarrassed or ashamed.

And no, the card was not sent by registered mail and you did not mention that to me
nor did you ask it to be

you only asked that i get in touch with apple
which i knew there was no point in doing

Please get all of your facts straight!

Thats as far as I will comment.
For legal reasons, I shall refrain from commenting further

Shelagh: There are no IFS or BUTS here - Its plain and simple that you scammed me. You never ever sent any gift card via Post.

If you really want to prove that you are right and I am wrong - all I ask is for you you to post proof here that you indeed send the mail. It was a 300 gift card and you are saying that you really used regular untraceable mail to send it? How come you sent the previous two gift cards by registered mail then. I still have the envelopes from the last time and they have numbers on them that can be used to track them. This time all of of a sudden you decided to use regular mail with no proof to show that you mailed them - how convenient.

I dont know how you define a threat - I have posted the text messages that were sent by me and you above for all to take a look. Since you say you have "different version" of messages that were exchanged between us - I suggest you post them here. Please tell me what have I said that you perceived as a threat. All I said was that I wanted a resolution to this within a weeks time as you have been giving me the run around for 7 weeks now.
Banned
Nov 27, 2009
765 posts
205 upvotes
MID TORONTO St clai…
addicted2it wrote:
Feb 1st, 2012 9:14 pm
Shelagh: There are no IFS or BUTS here - Its plain and simple that you scammed me. You never ever sent any gift card via Post.

If you really want to prove that you are right and I am wrong - all I ask is for you you to post proof here that you indeed send the mail. It was a 300 gift card and you are saying that you really used regular untraceable mail to send it? How come you sent the previous two gift cards by registered mail then. I still have the envelopes from the last time and they have numbers on them that can be used to track them. This time all of of a sudden you decided to use regular mail with no proof to show that you mailed them - how convenient.

I dont know how you define a threat - I have posted the text messages that were sent by me and you above for all to take a look. Since you say you have "different version" of messages that were exchanged between us - I suggest you post them here. Please tell me what have I said that you perceived as a threat. All I said was that I wanted a resolution to this within a weeks time as you have been giving me the run around for 7 weeks now.

Think what you will.
You never asked me to go to insure the cards
I only took it to the post office the first two times as it was summer time and i ride a bike
I don't ride a bike in the snow/winter time which it was in December.
So i just put it in the mailbox across the street from me.
I've never had ANYTHING go missing in the mail ever!!!!!!
Mind you, granted, I haven't used mail in years but still, I have received things in the mail and anything that has been sent to me has shown up.
Always!
For all I know, you stole it.
Once it went in the mail as far as I was concerned my job was done and i was on to other things. If you wanted to ask me what the name on the card was or the amount, I wouldn't be able to tell you.
My responsibility ended there and i no longer gave it any thought and would have to go through back records to see what i was given for it to know how much it was

I sold another card to someone else just before Boxing day but i certainly was NOT sending that one by mail nor will I EVER do that with someone again.
You were the one that insisted on my sending it in the beginning since you said you did not want to drive downtown.
I did not advertise it as a deal in which I wanted to ship it to someone.
I have already read online to meet people face to face and now I know why.

I have NEVER had a problem with anyone until you.

As I told you earlier today on the phone IF indeed the card was lost, I empathized with you but i was not responsible for that.
If you had wanted to pay extra for insurance, which you can get you should have offered to do so.
You apparently do this all the time.
I do not.
Nor will I again.

I have no way of knowing if you got the card or not.
But as I told you earlier today, I am not responsible for it.

And if you wish to suggest that i "scammed" you for the card, so be it.
I know who I am as do people that matter to me.
Thats all thats important to me.

Next time, maybe you should go pick up a card to pay for insurance or a courier to have it directly brought to you.
Thats what i would have done had it been me with something of such value.

Live and learn. I made a mistake and dealt with you rather than face to face as i have always done.
And will do again anytime in the future.

As for the threat, I did not mean a physical threat. I was referring to the threat you just mentioned yourself, the one that said i had a week to get you your money.
Thats the point i hung up on you if i remember correctly.
I have a lot going on.
I dont/cant, remember everything thing that was said or in what order as you seem to be able to do.

As for the "run around" Its only been the last 2 weeks since my operation that i ignored you but up until after New Years, I had hoped it was delayed due to Xmas mail.

In any event, feel free to do as you wish.
I did what was required of me
And then you came up with some crazy suggestion that i should call Apple and see if they could replace the card?
Why on earth would they do that? LOL
Its not their responsibility.

Take a lesson.
Next time either pay to insure it or hire a courier to have it delivered right to you!

The bottom line?
Think what you wish.

I did what was expected of me and i am not responsible for your loss assuming it was lost. I have no proof either way.
Had I ever assumed I might be, NEVER would I have agreed to have send it to you.
If you wanted to take that risk, that was your prerogative but i would have met someone in person instead as i had done several times before you for then there are no problems!!!

Since you say you have "different version" of messages that were exchanged between us
What I said, was

that I have absolutely no idea what you are suggesting from the txt posts

No where there did i say the texts contained a threat.
I said I had no idea why you were posting these or what you thought they proved
but that you had left out MANY of messages
there were many more than what you have posted here

The threat was verbal
but no where did I say it was a physical threat
you seem to make assumptions a lot from my words, but in your mind they become something else, I see
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
1755 posts
33 upvotes
ShiksKev wrote:
Feb 1st, 2012 9:42 pm
Think what you will.
I only took it to the post office the first two times as it was summer time and i ride a bike
I don't ride a bike in the snow/winter time which it was in December.
I've never had ANYTHING go missing in the mail ever!!!!!!
Mind you, granted, I haven't used mail in years but still, I have received things in the mail and anything that has been sent to me has shown up.
Always!
For all I know, you stole it.
Once it went in the mail as far as I was concerned my job was done and i was on to other things. If you wanted to ask me what the name on the card was or the amount, I wouldn't be able to tell you.
My responsibility ended there and i no longer gave it any thought and would have to go through back records to see what i was given for it to know how much it was

I sold another card to someone else just before Boxing day but i certainly was NOT sending that one by mail nor will I EVER do that with someone again.
You were the one that insisted on my sending it in the beginning since you said you did not want to drive downtown.

As I told you earlier today on the phone IF indeed the card was lost, I empathized with you but i was not responsible for that.
If you had wanted to pay extra for insurance, which you can get you should have offered to do so.
I do not.
Nor will I again.

But as I told you earlier today, I am not responsible for it.

I know who I am as do people that matter to me.
Thats all thats important to me.

Next time, maybe you should go pick up a card to pay for insurance or a courier to have it directly brought to you.

Live and learn. I made a mistake and dealt with you rather than face to face as i have always done.
And will do again anytime in the future.

As for the threat, I did not mean a physical threat. I was referring to the threat you just mentioned yourself, the one that said i had a week to get you your money.
Thats the point i hung up on you if i remember correctly.
I have a lot going on.
I dont/cant, remember everything thing that was said or in what order as you seem to be able to do.

As for the "run around" Its only been the last 2 weeks since my operation that i ignored you but up until after New Years, I had hoped it was delayed due to Xmas mail.

In any event, feel free to do as you wish.
I did what was required of me
And then you came up with some crazy suggestion that i should call Apple and see if they could replace the card?
Why on earth would they do that? LOL

Take a lesson.
Next time either pay to insure it or hire a courier to have it delivered right to you!

The bottom line?
Think what you wish.

I did what was expected of me and i am not responsible for your loss assuming it was lost. I have no proof either way.
Had I ever assumed I might be, NEVER would I have agreed to have send it to you.
If you wanted to take that risk, that was your prerogative but i would have met someone in person instead as i had done several times before you for then there are no problems!!!

What I said, was

that I have absolutely no idea what you are suggesting from the txt posts

No where there did i say the texts contained a threat.
I said I had no idea why you were posting these or what you thought they proved
but that you had left out MANY of messages
there were many more than what you have posted here

The threat was verbal
but no where did I say it was a physical threat
you seem to make assumptions a lot from my words, but in your mind they become something else, I see

So..... you DONT have any proof of sending the mail!! Thats what I thought.

The first two times we traded you sent it by registered mail with tracking numbers out of goodwill then I suppose. I still have your text messages in which you sent me the tracking numbers. I will be posting all your messages here to call out your lies.

Conveniently this time you sent it with no way to trace it.
Banned
Nov 27, 2009
765 posts
205 upvotes
MID TORONTO St clai…
addicted2it wrote:
Feb 1st, 2012 10:05 pm
So..... you DONT have any proof of sending the mail!! Thats what I thought.

The first two times we traded you sent it by registered mail with tracking numbers out of goodwill then I suppose. I still have your text messages in which you sent me the tracking numbers. I will be posting all your messages here to call out your lies.

Conveniently this time you sent it with no way to trace it.

Abdhul Muqueeth Syed Ali

Why would I have proof?
Not sure why you think i should have had proof?

you never asked me for tracking numbers
i just asked at the post office how much it was to insure it
and they gave me that
but i wasn't going to insure it

but i wasn't going back to over there in the snow
you never asked me to do that

if you had asked me earlier i could have told you that

you just told me to mail it

sorry, its your loss not mine
and i have other things to do
so as i said earlier
do what you wish

my mind is clear
i felt empathy before for you
i no longer do

Next time DONT BE SO CHEAP.
Pay for a courier!!!

Thats what i would have done!!!!

No wonder you are in the financial biz if that is you above

You can post whatever you wish!
You are not hearing me!!!

My mind is clear!
YOu did not ask for the envelope to be insured.
You did not ask for tracking numbers, the first, second, or third time.
You had NO problem with my just mailing.

Obviously my mistake was in being nice and going out of my way to provide you with a tracking number
I was never asked for.

How convenient that the moment i don't, you tell me it got lost?
And your in the financial business?
Try and scam someone else..........

I dont owe you one cent.

And feel free to post 1,000 messages if you wish.
I didn't lie
I have no reason to care what you post.
And don't think for one minute you can bully me.
You are barking up the wrong tree.

On that note, I will no longer be paying any attention to this thread, or you so play with yourself.

Cheers!
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14556 posts
1424 upvotes
Oshawa
Kevin was your ex in 2003, yet you used "Kev" in your alias when you joined here in 2009? Sad...

Anyhow, as the seller, it is YOUR responsibility to ensure the item was delivered successfully. Traceable shipping is ASSUMED, and the price should be adjusted accordingly.
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2004
9607 posts
772 upvotes
Brampton
JAC wrote:
Feb 1st, 2012 10:46 pm
Kevin was your ex in 2003, yet you used "Kev" in your alias when you joined here in 2009? Sad...

Anyhow, as the seller, it is YOUR responsibility to ensure the item was delivered successfully. Traceable shipping is ASSUMED, and the price should be adjusted accordingly.

JAC, you are my hero. The things you do for redflags. And to stay on topic, if it got lost in the mail, its your fault, not the buyer unless you clearly stated that. And I know you didnt.
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0. Ebay Feedback 199 and counting. RFD Feedback 50-0-0 and counting.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
1755 posts
33 upvotes
ShiksKev wrote:
Feb 1st, 2012 10:12 pm

Why would I have proof?

you never asked me for tracking numbers
i just asked at the post office how much it was to insure it
and they gave me that

if you had asked me earlier i could have told you that

and i have other things to do
so as i said earlier
do what you wish

my mind is clear
i felt empathy before for you
i no longer do

Pay for a courier!!!

No wonder you are in the financial biz if that is you above

You can post whatever you wish!
You are not hearing me!!!

My mind is clear!

Obviously my mistake was in being nice and going out of my way to provide you with a tracking number
I was never asked for.

I dont owe you one cent.

And feel free to post 1,000 messages if you wish.
I didn't lie

On that note, I will no longer be paying any attention to this thread, or you so play with yourself.

Cheers!

Shelagh: As a seller its your responsibility to have some way of tracking them. By sending the first two gift cards with tracking you LED ME TO BELIEVE that you will be sending the third one with tracking too.

You are no JAC so please stop your silly snooping and posting about some poor guys who are not related to this.

I for sure will leave no stone unturned and will pursue all available legal avenues to try and get my hard earned money back. This might be over for you as you already have my money and I have nothing for it in return, but its definitely not over for me.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1656 posts
154 upvotes
m4r 1k8
lool its like saying he mailed you the money and you mailed him the gift card . . . he recieved the card but you didnt the money? do right and return the money he gave you. You're also caliming its winter and snow, yet its february and its only snowed 3 times all less than 2cm !

and it wasnt even that bad this winter, my teacher biked to school through janruary and you're complaining you couldn't go to the mail office this one time that you got payed 200$ for?
And getting information on this guy is pointless everyone is looking down on you because you're the guilty one. lol
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2011
3236 posts
1103 upvotes
Toronto
ShiksKev wrote:
I have an excellent reputation
He does too and I might add that he has a better one so in that case he gets the points in that department
ShiksKev wrote:
so can you please post all of them?
ShiksKev wrote:
nor did you ask it to be
So you sent him 2 cards before with tracking, why wouldn't he assume you would send it the same way?
ShiksKev wrote:
For legal reasons, I shall refrain from commenting further[/B]

And you post again after saying this
ShiksKev wrote:
Did you ask him at least? He would assume it being tracked like last time
ShiksKev wrote:
great a $300 gift card in the mailbox with no tracking
ShiksKev wrote:
Really you are a very organized person, being a legal assistant, why couldn't you get this info?
ShiksKev wrote:

He insisted because you mailed it to him 2 times before didn't you? It's as if you're acting like this is your first encounter with this guy
ShiksKev wrote:
So if I ordered something from amazon and it gets lost in the mail, I should just blame myself? Who would you blame in this situation (I'm sure it would be amazon and in your case you)?
ShiksKev wrote:
I do not.
You do not? You sent him tracked mail before why would you take such a leap of faith this time around to trust someone since you are very cautious?
ShiksKev wrote:
That's the point. Why is there no proof you sent it on your end? As a legal assistant I'm sure you would get some proof just in case the deal goes bad like in this case.
ShiksKev wrote:
So you're admitting you scammed him, why not keep denying it and saying you're innocent?
ShiksKev wrote:
So you know from a buyers stand point on what you would have done, but you never offered him the insurance or tracking as options?
ShiksKev wrote:
Really you seem to be a very organized person, see the bottom of this post
ShiksKev wrote:
Why not keep communicating and reassuring the buyer? After all it's not a small amount.
ShiksKev wrote:
If you call apple and report it as stolen, could they block the gift card number?
ShiksKev wrote:
so it must be someones responsibility, I wonder who?
ShiksKev wrote:

The whole problem with this situation is the no proof thing. Legal assistant with no proof is like a bun without a hot dog
ShiksKev wrote:
Why would I have proof?
you're the seller LOL, why wouldn't you?
ShiksKev wrote:
well why not? Did you ask him if he wanted it or did you assume he didn't?
ShiksKev wrote:
so what exact date did you go out and find yourself in the snow?
ShiksKev wrote:
Your 2 time buyer asks you to mail it and you skimp on tracking this time around?
ShiksKev wrote:
obviously, that's why he created this thread
ShiksKev wrote:
Pay for a courier!!!
Did you offer this to him?
ShiksKev wrote:
My mind is clear!
That's the second time you said that, all in the same post lol
ShiksKev wrote:

I was never asked for.
If you bought something and both times you got a tracked mail and the third time you bought again from the same place, would you assume it was tracked?
ShiksKev wrote:
No proof=seller's fault
ShiksKev wrote:
obviously cause you're not the one out of money
ShiksKev wrote:
stop playing the victim card and acting childish, no one's bullying anyone. Talk like adults and handle it like that.
ShiksKev wrote:
Final words of your last post
ShiksKev wrote:
Cheers!

After all that why bother saying cheers?

oh ya and all your comments about you not remembering things or have no information about the gift card. You seem like a very very organized person. Wouldn't you say so yourself?

[IMG]http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6208/6057 ... 39ac_b.jpg[/IMG]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51603902@N08/
May 10, 2008
81 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I don't know what fairytale world you live in, but our "belief" that you scammed him does matter to your reputation, both in this community as well as your own. Lawyer eh? I laugh at people like you. You've already PUBLICLY ADMITTED that you scammed him, and adding quotation marks my dear does not change a god damn thing. Oh yes, and if you were wondering these postings are legally admissible as evidence in court.

Even if we took the long shot and took it to be true that you know your laws, YOU, yes you, were too cheap to pay for tracking. It's more to your benefit than it is to him, so why would he pay for it? Protect yourself, fool. You got nothing going for you, so pay up and move on. Your obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2011
1451 posts
367 upvotes
Her home address is online!!! Hahaha

This woman is a coward and a liar. Her replies are so dim-witted its sad.