• Last Updated:
  • Sep 11th, 2019 9:27 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 14, 2003
38 posts

Re: Scanner Price Accuracy Voluntary Code - Code of Practice

Just wanted to make everyone aware of the Scanning Code of Practice: If the scanned price of a non-price item is higher than the shelf price or any other displayed price, the customer is entitled to receive the first item free, up to a $10 maximum. If a Code of Practice problem cannot be resolved at the store level, please call 1-866-499-4599 to register your complaint.

Detailed info can be found at the link below:

http://cb-bc.gc.ca/epic/internet/incb-b ... 2381e.html

Not really a freebie until you find an incorrectly scanned price - but once you do please post.

FYI - Just picked up the last Hulk Watch at the Leslie and Sheppard Shoppers in Toronto - Regular Price = $14.99 Clearance Price = $4.99 - Incorrect Scan Price = FREE!!
137 replies
Nov 24, 2002
289 posts
21 upvotes
yeppers, seems to get posted about every few months, good reminder though
Jul 15, 2003
262 posts
This is true. I was at NoFrills yesterday and purchased a dozen corn that should have been for 1.99, but the price came up as 2.39. I told the cashier about this inaccuracy in the price and then she confirmed it for herself. I then told her that by rights, I am supposed to receive the item for free and she agreed and I got my refund of 2.39 :D
Jul 10, 2003
73 posts
As far as I know "All" retail stores participate. I've seen the "scanning code of Practice" posted at all consumers stores. e.g Shoppers, Pharmaplus, IGA, no frills, Loblaws. etc etc.

I was at loblaws purchasing hamburger patties and it was supposed to be $3.99 but they rang it in as $4.99. He changed the price but then I pointed to the scanning code of practice and without a comment he provided the item for free.

BUT the limit is free upto $10. So if the product was priced at $11. Then I would get a maximum of $10 off and I would pay the $1 +tax.

hope that helps
AD
Mar 11, 2003
588 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
not at staples though!! they scanned a wrong price on a belkin lan wire for me and i told them about the scanning code, and they were like "nice try kid".
May 18, 2002
50 posts
Just in case the retailer plays ignorant I keep a copy of the "Code of Practice" in my glove box. Download and print it HERE.
Jul 12, 2003
279 posts
Originally posted by gillianchung@Sep 24 2003, 04:22 PM
not at staples though!!  they scanned a wrong price on a belkin lan wire for me and i told them about the scanning code, and they were like "nice try kid".
well, technically they were wrong...

i have a question, what if the scanner rings up a higher price, but the sales dude fixes it without you having to correct him? i assume then that the policy doesnt apply...
Feb 25, 2003
342 posts
146 upvotes
Vancouver
Originally posted by gillianchung@Sep 24 2003, 04:22 PM
not at staples though!! they scanned a wrong price on a belkin lan wire for me and i told them about the scanning code, and they were like "nice try kid".
we all HATE staples :ph34r:
Jun 1, 2003
40 posts
Originally posted by diwana+Sep 25 2003, 02:58 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (diwana @ Sep 25 2003, 02:58 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--gillianchung@Sep 24 2003, 04:22 PM
not at staples though&#33;&#33;&nbsp; they scanned a wrong price on a belkin lan wire for me and i told them about the scanning code, and they were like "nice try kid".
well, technically they were wrong...

i have a question, what if the scanner rings up a higher price, but the sales dude fixes it without you having to correct him? i assume then that the policy doesnt apply...[/b][/quote]
not necessarly this code is voluntary&#33;
if staples has this code in effect ya they were wrong, but if they don't you SOL :o
Can anyone confirm Staples has adopted this code?
Rent this space
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2002
1465 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
Dominion has not adopted this code...
i buy stuff there and they overcharge me all the time. The s***ty thing is, they won't even refund me the tax portion so i'm still overpaying. I hate dominion :angry: :angry: :angry:

Sent angry letters to their head office to, and the only response I ever got was "thanks for writing" :angry: :angry:
Oct 30, 2004
842 posts
Toronto
Thanks for posting - have used it at both IGA and Shoppers Drug Mart recently.
Dec 24, 2003
760 posts
5 upvotes
Used at Walmart & No Frills recently. Did'nt knew SDM also has this policy. Their register rang Life brand batteries at a higher price than shelf price. Could have got them for free.
Mar 5, 2005
461 posts
2 upvotes
Richmond Hill
bigredlemon wrote:Dominion has not adopted this code...
i buy stuff there and they overcharge me all the time. The s***ty thing is, they won't even refund me the tax portion so i'm still overpaying. I hate dominion :angry: :angry: :angry:

Sent angry letters to their head office to, and the only response I ever got was "thanks for writing" :angry: :angry:
The dominion at my house does follow this code. I see the sign posted at every cashier. :D