Shopping Discussion

Scanning Code of Practice....WalMart's way!

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2013 10:12 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2003
1043 posts
112 upvotes

Scanning Code of Practice....WalMart's way!

Well, i bought one of the games that had a $18.93 sticker in front of it, so i took it to cashier, scanned @ $39, so they called and checked so decided to give it to me at $18.93 the sticker price. So i was telling them that i should be getting the extra $10 off cuz of the code of practice. At first the cashier was telling me that only if the shelf has at least 10...i was like where did it say that on this card that stated the law...?

So they transfer me, and called a CSR etc, to the electronics department. The old guy was like, that is only for something that doesn't have a sticker price on it. It said it's only on non-ticketed item that's lower than the shelf price or other shown price (something like that, not exact wording) that means that if there's a sticker on the product, it doesn't count. I argued, and finally the CSR brought me up to another CSR to verify, CSR2. CSR2 tells me the same story, and i think the old guy relay the scanning code law to CSR, and then CSR relay it to CSR2, so that's why they had the same story.

So, i explained there's a sticker on the game, because in case someone else mix some $50 games into the mix, it won't count as $18.93. So IF i pick a game out of the bin, and it doesn't have a sticker on it, and scanned at $50, does that mean i get it at $18.93?....cuz it doesn't have a sticker on it like u said. Then they explain how they verify it with the electronics guy and make sure it is suppose to be in the bin and not some guy dropped it in because it's easier for them. The dumbest thing he said after was, it's no good for you anyway, if i give u the $10 off, its going to be on the $39 price, so it'll end up $29....i almost called him an idiot....~~

and after couple more minutes of arguing, they said, most i can give u is the 10%, i was fuming, and said i'm going to call the number and complain right now. I called, stupid voice message system came up. So i hung up, i got their names and they ask me if i still want the game, I said NO, and tell him, i'm just going to put in a complain. And i left the place, and i am going to put in a complain to WalMart head office and to the scanning code of practice. This happened to me twice already. I could've got the game @ $9 if I continued going the next level, but these 2 CSR was so stupid that i just thought it wasn't worth arguing, i'll just put in a complaint to tell them they should educate these ppl.

UNLESS, someone tells me here that CSR and CSR2 was correct, otherwise, i'm going to put in a complaint!


O, the next story is about the $0.10 games, i took it to self scan, 4 of them, i start scanning. after scanning the 1st game it said, "10 cents" and a "Manager" as she called herself came over and was like this is wrong, and tried to override the price to $18.93. and she didn't know how to do it on the self scan machine....Manager as she called herself.....and she called a CSR over and the CSR taught her, and then i asked, what the hell are you doing?... they said the game couldn't have been 10 cents, so i'm going to override it to $18.93. I was like, i scanned, and i'm not even asking for the scanning code of practice thing, meaning i should get it free, but you are changing the price up because u "think" it's wrong that a game is 10 cents?... well, she gave me after talking to the department manager of electronics and such. But if the department manager got a note saying price changes, shouldn't the Manager get it as well? ???
59 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2005
1788 posts
34 upvotes
Hey,

Any chance you could get me some cookies? I'm really hungry.

-C
Sr. Member
Apr 16, 2002
787 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
The Item Free Scanner Policy – The Retailers’ Promise of Price Accuracy.

If the scanned price of a non-price ticketed item is higher than the shelf price or any other displayed price, the customer is entitled to receive the item free, up to a $10 maximum. When the item has a price tagged, the lowest price applies. When identical items are incorrectly priced, the second one will be sold at the correct price.

When the item has a price tagged, the lowest price applies. When identical items are incorrectly priced, the second one will be sold at the correct price.
http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/inte ... =1262&lg=e
Member
Oct 1, 2001
271 posts
Maybe it is just late and I am tired but I am not sure I follow this:
"If the scanned price of a non-price ticketed item is higher than the shelf price or any other displayed price, the customer is entitled to receive the item free, up to a $10 maximum. "
So would that be $10 off the higher scanned price or off what the lower shelf price says?
Also my Dad LOVES nailing stores with the code of practice thing and one thing that happens with some retailers is that they change the code right there at the till and say that it doesn't count. SO you are better to buy it at the higher price and then check the price on the shelf again to be sure and then go to customer service with your receipt. He has found that the Customer Service / returns people seem to handle it better and know more then the regular csr's.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 24, 2005
5857 posts
97 upvotes
try phoning the district manager to file your complaint.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 9, 2003
15413 posts
1249 upvotes
Langley
It happened to me at Best Buy for a CD case. They gave me some run around, I don't know what they said, something stupid like it's only for CDs.

I called the number when I got home and left a message with the 'code of practice' number, but they never phoned me back. I don't know how far you'll get phoning the number.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4322 posts
63 upvotes
If its ticketed it doesn't count.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 27, 2006
4472 posts
24 upvotes
Oni-kun wrote:
Jul 6th, 2007 1:43 am
If its ticketed it doesn't count.
exactly, because people can just put on another sticker price.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 9, 2003
15413 posts
1249 upvotes
Langley
M.D. wrote:
Jul 6th, 2007 1:49 am
exactly, because people can just put on another sticker price.
Depends on the store, most have product numbers on the price tags, or no price tags. When the price is wrong, but the skus match, then it's clearly not a case where someone switched tags.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Mar 30, 2007
749 posts
1 upvote
Here.
JL2002 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2007 11:49 pm
The old guy was like, that is only for something that doesn't have a sticker price on it.

UNLESS, someone tells me here that CSR and CSR2 was correct, otherwise, i'm going to put in a complaint!
The "old guy" CSR was correct.


JL2002 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2007 11:49 pm
...i almost called him an idiot....~~

i was fuming

i'll just put in a complaint to tell them they should educate these ppl.
If you're going to assert your consumer rights in this sort of situation, you've got to strive for a much calmer state of mind. It will help you make your argument much more effectively and improve your chances of successful outcomes.

And before anything else, I would suggest you thoroughly educate yourself on the Scanner Price Accuracy Voluntary Code before suggesting again that others do so.
Jr. Member
May 29, 2004
175 posts
I work in customer service and deal with the scanning code of practice every day. When the item has a price sticker on it, it is not eligible for the $10 off under any circumstance.

When you run into a situation where your item is listed on the shelf at, lets say, $12, but then scans at $25, you should be entitled to get the item for $2 ($12-$10) and not $15 ($25-$10) like I've heard of some stores doing.
Member
Oct 1, 2001
271 posts
Kaldonis wrote:
Jul 6th, 2007 8:44 am
I work in customer service and deal with the scanning code of practice every day. When the item has a price sticker on it, it is not eligible for the $10 off under any circumstance.

When you run into a situation where your item is listed on the shelf at, lets say, $12, but then scans at $25, you should be entitled to get the item for $2 ($12-$10) and not $15 ($25-$10) like I've heard of some stores doing.
Thanks! That it explains it very well.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2004
1618 posts
46 upvotes
I don't understand. You want to buy a game that's $18.93 but when it scans wrong you refuse to buy it even after they give you the right price? WTF? They even offer you an extra 10% off for nothing but just because that's not 10 bucks off you storm out of there with nothing?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 28, 2006
1712 posts
124 upvotes
Wow i never knew this existed. Now i know and knowing is half the battle!!!
Opinions posted are that of my own and do not reflect that of any organization.

GTA AYCE Sushi Guide

What is a marriage if not an opportunity to mock someone through thick and thin while simultaneously exploring your deepest, darkest sexual desires - Californication.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 16, 2006
1781 posts
Capt. wrote:
Jul 9th, 2007 2:22 pm
I don't understand. You want to buy a game that's $18.93 but when it scans wrong you refuse to buy it even after they give you the right price? WTF? They even offer you an extra 10% off for nothing but just because that's not 10 bucks off you storm out of there with nothing?
its a sense of dignity an self respect.
i would have done the same as op and just leave.
× < >

Top