None
[OP]
Banned
Jun 2, 2009
2738 posts
152 upvotes
Toronto

Scarborough Subway...

Definitely for this subway, we are so lacking as a city in regards to transportation... I thought this picture was a pretty hilarious reflection of that as well .

506 replies
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
153 upvotes
Lol, this thread is probably going to turn into a mess really soon.

The new plan seems ok, but what we really need is more capacity into the downtown core.

This whole sideshow over the current projects has gone on way way way too long. These projects should have all been well under way by now and we could already be focusing on a downtown relief line.
Mar 14, 2006
594 posts
18 upvotes
I don't really like this new plan as it leaves a big connection hole between the planned Sheppard LRT and the end of the subway. With the previous plan the subway connected to the Sheppard LRT and one could in theory easily get from STC to other places on Sheppard. Now we will have a weird gaping connection gap. Even the previous LRT plan was better as it provided connections to the Sheppard LRT and STC.

In addition, the subway needs to head north so that it can be extended into Markham in the future.
[OP]
Banned
Jun 2, 2009
2738 posts
152 upvotes
Toronto
tsehou wrote:
Sep 6th, 2013 7:56 pm
I don't really like this new plan as it leaves a big connection hole between the planned Sheppard LRT and the end of the subway. With the previous plan the subway connected to the Sheppard LRT and one could in theory easily get from STC to other places on Sheppard. Now we will have a weird gaping connection gap. Even the previous LRT plan was better as it provided connections to the Sheppard LRT and STC.

In addition, the subway needs to head north so that it can be extended into Markham in the future.
Definitely, we need to start somewhere though it is so pitiful!!
Sep 16, 2008
168 posts
10 upvotes
Isn't New Yorks fare cheaper too? Look at the value they get for the fare while we have to put up with delay after delay for $3 on a few measly lines on the TTC.
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
153 upvotes
makethings wrote:
Sep 6th, 2013 8:26 pm
Isn't New Yorks fare cheaper too? Look at the value they get for the fare while we have to put up with delay after delay for $3 on a few measly lines on the TTC.
The government in New York provides a lot more money for transit.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
6644 posts
1001 upvotes
And this Scarborough Subway isn't going to add anything to that map since the SRT is already rapid transit...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2012
9632 posts
818 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
I can see why London and NYC have massive transit systems. Their populations and geographic areas are 3x plus that of Toronto. Therefore more revenue, more funds to fund transit systems. However, Paris is only 2.3 mil peeps almost half that of GTA. WTF is going on here?? Answer: Higher salaries. Parisians average 7800 euro's a month or $10.3k usd = $123,600 usd/annum. Average Toronto/GTA citizens do not get that in the least. Last stats, Toronto peeps were averaging $47k/annum. Less taxes, less funding, less govt help. In other words, Paris has way more richer peeps than GTA. Money talks, bs walks... as usual. Point blank.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
118 upvotes
aznnorth wrote:
Sep 7th, 2013 8:28 am
However, Paris is only 2.3 mil peeps almost half that of GTA. WTF is going on here??
You need to be careful and compare apple to apples. The population of Paris is 2.3 mil (2009) and the population of Toronto is 2.6 mil (2013). The GTA is 5.5 mil but the Paris metropolitan area is 12 mil. While the main core of both cities are very similar in population, the extended areas are quite different.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2012
9632 posts
818 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
^^
Nice that you ignored the funding issue. Paris has way more wealth than TO/GTA, point blank. Next.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
118 upvotes
aznnorth wrote:
Sep 7th, 2013 10:14 am
^^
Nice that you ignored the funding issue. Paris has way more wealth than TO/GTA, point blank. Next.
I didn't address the funding issue because it had nothing to do with my point. My point was, and still is, that you have no clue what you are talking about. You are trying to compare two different geographical areas by population. Why not compare the population of Ontario to the population of Paris? It will have about the same amount of relevancy.

I was simply pointing out a mistake you had made. If you want to be an ***** about it, live with your ignorance.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2012
9632 posts
818 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
spf1971 wrote:
Sep 7th, 2013 10:26 am
I didn't address the funding issue because it had nothing to do with my point. My point was, and still is, that you have no clue what you are talking about. You are trying to compare two different geographical areas by population. Why not compare the population of Ontario to the population of Paris? It will have about the same amount of relevancy.

I was simply pointing out a mistake you had made. If you want to be an ***** about it, live with your ignorance.
Facts are facts. GTA is poor compared to the other 3 cities. Deal with it. Continue griping about Toronto transit that no one else around world gives a sh*t about. Live outside the box bro... it's saturday. LOLz love that this font is getting angry about nothing. :twisted: :lol:
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
118 upvotes
aznnorth wrote:
Sep 7th, 2013 10:30 am
Facts are facts. GTA is poor compared to the other 3 cities. Deal with it. Continue griping about Toronto transit that no one else around world gives a sh*t about. Live outside the box bro... it's saturday. LOLz love that I'm getting this font angry about nothing. :twisted: :lol:
You're absolutely right, facts are facts; such as Toronto is not the GTA and the city of Paris is not the Parisian Metropolitan area. I never said that Paris didn't have more wealth than Toronto; I simply pointed out that you were comparing the population of the GTA to the city of Paris instead of the Metro area.
[OP]
Banned
Jun 2, 2009
2738 posts
152 upvotes
Toronto
spf1971 wrote:
Sep 7th, 2013 9:28 am
You need to be careful and compare apple to apples. The population of Paris is 2.3 mil (2009) and the population of Toronto is 2.6 mil (2013). The GTA is 5.5 mil but the Paris metropolitan area is 12 mil. While the main core of both cities are very similar in population, the extended areas are quite different.
The gta had over 6 million people in 2011...now obviously much more...regardless even if those other places cut out Half their subway lines to accomadate the lower population it still would be a much larger system than we have now in place.