• May 11th, 2017 8:44 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6141 posts
448 upvotes
Toronto
Interesting interview here, "The transit city that could’ve been", with (former Toronto Mayor) David Miller about Transit City. I was interested to read who he blames for the failure to implement the Sheppard and Finch LRT lines:

All three lines got slowed down a bit because Metrolinx was structurally incompetent, they didn’t have the staff to be able to understand (Transit City).

and

Another part of the problem was Premier Dalton McGuinty. In the narrative of history, he doesn’t get enough blame. Because Finch, Sheppard, and Eglinton were ready to go — we broke ground on Sheppard in 2009, Finch was ready to go in 2010. We could have broken ground and started construction, and Premier McGuinty halted that line. I’ve never understood that decision, I still don’t to this day. But if he had not halted that line, you had Sheppard and Finch under way, and Eglinton about to be under way — and therefore the beginnings of a network of light rail rapid transit in Toronto.

He also predicts that the Scarborough one-stop subway will never be built:

It is impossible to believe, if you have that background, that what will be a $4 billion subway stop will ever get built. What we will see is more studies, and money spent on it, but you won’t see it be built. Because some government’s going to come to its senses and cancel the project because it makes no economic or transportation sense whatsoever, because it uses up so much of the money. It prevents the building of the rapid transit that is needed, which is the rapid transit that serves low income communities across this city.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6892 posts
937 upvotes
Jimbobs wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 11:21 pm
Interesting interview here, "The transit city that could’ve been", with (former Toronto Mayor) David Miller about Transit City. I was interested to read who he blames for the failure to implement the Sheppard and Finch LRT lines:

All three lines got slowed down a bit because Metrolinx was structurally incompetent, they didn’t have the staff to be able to understand (Transit City).

and

Another part of the problem was Premier Dalton McGuinty. In the narrative of history, he doesn’t get enough blame. Because Finch, Sheppard, and Eglinton were ready to go — we broke ground on Sheppard in 2009, Finch was ready to go in 2010. We could have broken ground and started construction, and Premier McGuinty halted that line. I’ve never understood that decision, I still don’t to this day. But if he had not halted that line, you had Sheppard and Finch under way, and Eglinton about to be under way — and therefore the beginnings of a network of light rail rapid transit in Toronto.

He also predicts that the Scarborough one-stop subway will never be built:

It is impossible to believe, if you have that background, that what will be a $4 billion subway stop will ever get built. What we will see is more studies, and money spent on it, but you won’t see it be built. Because some government’s going to come to its senses and cancel the project because it makes no economic or transportation sense whatsoever, because it uses up so much of the money. It prevents the building of the rapid transit that is needed, which is the rapid transit that serves low income communities across this city.
With so many governments affirmed support for the SCC, I would think it's almost impossible to back out now. Mama Wynne, all the Scarborough MPP and MPs, a majority of the Scarborough Councillors, and the opposition party all support the subway.

Josh Colle, Chair of the TTC knows there is no turning back.
Let’s be clear, there is no plan to build an LRT to replace the Scarborough RT.

It is complete fiction to suggest the Scarborough LRT is still an option on the table for discussion.

Council rejected the LRT option in 2013 and, in countless votes, endorsed the Scarborough subway. Since 2013, there has not been an LRT option presented at council for debate.

Some have tried to claim that the cost of an LRT has not risen over time and still quote a $1.8-billion estimate that is now seven years old, which is extremely misleading.

Metrolinx has also made it clear the LRT plan has not been advanced for four years and the province has repeatedly committed to funding the subway, as has the federal government.
The suggestion that the Ontario government would simply take the $1.48 billion dedicated for the subway and move it back to building the LRT is simply not true. MPPs in Scarborough and our Premier Kathleen Wynne have all been fully committed to delivering this subway, not an LRT.

The notion that the $1.57 billion pledged by the City of Toronto and the federal government would be put toward the LRT is equally naive. Both the city and our federal partners have continued to pledge that money for a subway in Scarborough.
https://www.thestar.com/opinion/comment ... colle.html
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4293 posts
301 upvotes
EPcjay wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 2:21 pm

Josh Colle, Chair of the TTC knows there is no turning back.

hardly objective.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
24401 posts
5241 upvotes
GTHA
Debate over Scarborough subways heats up again this week
http://www.torontosun.com/2017/03/25/de ... -this-week
Another debate over the fate of the Scarborough subway pulls into station this week.

City council will vote to determine the route on which the $3.3 billion subway extension will sit and to decide whether or not to also build a $187-million underground bus terminal with it. While the debate is about those two pieces of the overall picture, inevitably the vote provides the councillors with opportunity to change course or kill the controversial project.
Can City council kill this project...
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
24401 posts
5241 upvotes
GTHA
Jimbobs wrote:
Mar 27th, 2017 11:18 pm
Yes, they can and hopefully they will Electric Light Bulb
City Council voted to approve the most recent draft of the Scarborough Subway Extension proposal on Tuesday, which will move the project forward in the design phase until a 30 per cent design proposal is submitted to Council.

Toronto City Council Votes Down Facts on Scarborough Transit
Mayor John Tory puts his fingers in his ears when challenged by fellow councillors.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6141 posts
448 upvotes
Toronto
tk1000 wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 9:05 pm
City Council voted to approve the most recent draft of the Scarborough Subway Extension proposal on Tuesday, which will move the project forward in the design phase until a 30 per cent design proposal is submitted to Council.

Toronto City Council Votes Down Facts on Scarborough Transit
Mayor John Tory puts his fingers in his ears when challenged by fellow councillors.
The insanity continues at our expense. Meanwhile the people of Scarborough continue to suffer because the TTC will do the least maintenance possible on the SRT rolling stock or the stations.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23210 posts
1041 upvotes
Markham, ON
i think i will be dead before a subway is ever built to STC...holy mac...15 years later and the govt is still voting.

sometimes you just want be CHINA...subways get built overnight.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9184 posts
1083 upvotes
Toronto
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Mar 30th, 2017 3:14 pm
i think i will be dead before a subway is ever built to STC...holy mac...15 years later and the govt is still voting.

They really need to bring in contractors from china or korea not subject to Canadian Union rules. It'll get built in 9 months.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2012
2989 posts
287 upvotes
Mississauga
Anyone else doubts this subway will actually bring office development to the area, LRT would of been better.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
3833 posts
2421 upvotes
Toronto
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Mar 30th, 2017 3:14 pm

I agree. Lol.

What are they voting next? Seriously. As a Scarborough resident myself I dont really care what they build anymore just start building something!!