Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2014
1041 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Scat Mats- Safe?

I had a friend who had scat mats and it was really effective.

I want to stop our dog from going into the kitchen and I'm considering purchasing one. But my dog has had a broken leg and he has a metal piece inserted into his leg. (both his front legs actually). I'm scared that the shock might shock the metal piece or something.

Can anybody chime in?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2014
1154 posts
388 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Unless the dog is like the size of a chihuahua, those shock mats won't even get the dog to move.
Something with more than two legs, but less than three.
Aug 16, 2011
841 posts
253 upvotes
Kitchener
do you want your dog to stay out of the kitchen all the time or just when you are in there? How about some good old fashioned training before resorting to shock mats? A baby gate would also work.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2014
1041 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I tried training. It didn't work. I will tell him no no inside. When I catch him inside, he will run quickly back onto his bed. But once I turn around, he will go back inside.
I have a baby gate. Scary stuff. He will actually jump OVER the gate. :(

He likes to go in the kitchen to knock over the recycling bin and pee there :(
A really inspirational quote should be here. But I haven't found one yet.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2014
1154 posts
388 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Maverick98 wrote: I tried training. It didn't work. I will tell him no no inside. When I catch him inside, he will run quickly back onto his bed. But once I turn around, he will go back inside.
I have a baby gate. Scary stuff. He will actually jump OVER the gate. :(

He likes to go in the kitchen to knock over the recycling bin and pee there :(
If you tried training and it failed, maybe you need to find some assistance from a professional dog trainer. A dog should obey their master.
Aug 16, 2011
841 posts
253 upvotes
Kitchener
bad dog! I can only giggle really because my bulldog jumps baby gates too, and my smaller bulldog barrels right through them. The easiest way to eliminate the problem would be to find another spot for your recycling where the dog cant get it, like outside, in the garage, in a cupboard etc. What kind of training have you tried? Are you just saying no? Clicker training (or other marker/reward based training) could work well for your situation but the trick is you have to make the reward of staying out of the kitchen much more enticing then the reward of going into the kitchen and getting into your recycling and peeing.