• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2005 1:44 am
Tags:
None
Sep 3, 2004
109 posts

Schitzel House Hungarian Restaurant

100 Steeles Ave West.

I went to this restaurant expecting some good Hungarian food! Especially my favourite Hungarian dish; Paprika Chicken.

It took them about 30 minutes to get the food to the table. The restaurant wasn't even busy.

The paprika chicken finally came and after taking 3 bites I called the waitress over. I told her that I didn't want to be rude, but "this is the worst paprika chicken that I've ever had." She said, "the worst?!" and I said "Yes. Please take it back to the kitchen and bring me the menu, I'm not paying money for this."

It was runny, bland, and gross. It looked like slop. The dumplings were just flour and water, didn't have any egg in them. The sauce was watery and bland. The chicken was over-cooked and resembled a pile of unrecognizeable curry.

I ended up getting the mushroom wiener schitzel. It tasted good, but it was super heavy and greasy. I felt it the next morning!

I do not recommend this restaurant to anyone that is looking for good hungarian food.
10 replies
Banned
Jan 21, 2004
2600 posts
2 upvotes
GTA
tyrred2 wrote:100 Steeles Ave West.

I went to this restaurant expecting some good Hungarian food! Especially my favourite Hungarian dish; Paprika Chicken.

It took them about 30 minutes to get the food to the table. The restaurant wasn't even busy.

The paprika chicken finally came and after taking 3 bites I called the waitress over. I told her that I didn't want to be rude, but "this is the worst paprika chicken that I've ever had." She said, "the worst?!" and I said "Yes. Please take it back to the kitchen and bring me the menu, I'm not paying money for this."

It was runny, bland, and gross. It looked like slop. The dumplings were just flour and water, didn't have any egg in them. The sauce was watery and bland. The chicken was over-cooked and resembled a pile of unrecognizeable curry.

I ended up getting the mushroom wiener schitzel. It tasted good, but it was super heavy and greasy. I felt it the next morning!

I do not recommend this restaurant to anyone that is looking for good hungarian food.
Err, could musroom wiener schnitzel have some spit (or the cooks whatever produce s/he can come up with at that time) on it once you created a scene with them about the chicken?
Fineprint: Any brand that have [rfdlink=#]double underline link[/rfdlink] on my posts are not endorsed by me (unless stated otherwise) and automatically placed by the forum software for the site owners' commercial interests.
Jan 7, 2005
85 posts
7 upvotes
country style hungarian
bloor street west
2 blocks east of bathurst
on the north side

daily specials
1/2 duck two days a week
different schnitzels
good soups
Banned
May 23, 2005
3038 posts
...over here!
I've only had the schnitzel there and always found it good...

(I don't think I'l be trying the Paprika Chicken anytime soon though - saliva sauce or not!)
"You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note." -Doug Floyd
Dec 8, 2003
906 posts
2 upvotes
tyrred2 wrote:i'm giong to try that one soon!
Take it from a Hungarian, Country Style is a great restaurant. Shnitzel House really does suck. I've tried them once and will never go there again. The food just doesn't taste like its supposed to.

If you go to country style, make sure you order a shnitzel there, you'll find it's bigger then the big plate they serve it on.....DELICIOUS!
Banned
May 23, 2005
3038 posts
...over here!
ptxpress wrote:If you go to country style, make sure you order a shnitzel there, you'll find it's bigger then the big plate they serve it on...
...and half as thick!

(Still pretty good - but they're heading downhill compared to the old days...)
"You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note." -Doug Floyd
Dec 8, 2003
906 posts
2 upvotes
biosh wrote:...and half as thick!

(Still pretty good - but they're heading downhill compared to the old days...)
Haven't been there in a year or so.

BTW...anyone have any other good Hungarian restaurants they can suggest? I went to one at Bathurst and Lawrence called "Paprika" which was pretty good too.
Banned
May 16, 2005
201 posts
Darn, seems like there are a few Hungarians here on the boards.

Represent! :razz:
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2941 posts
GVRD
my folks are friends with the owners of country style - i've been in that kitchen and it is about as authentic and good as you'll get (except home made, of course).

try the "gomboz" sometime....dessert...
the man who trades freedom for security does not deserve
nor will receive either - benjamin franklin
Deal Addict
May 20, 2005
3043 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
I am 50% hungarian.. but grew up with 100% hungarian food.. :cheesygri

First place I was told to go for real authentic hungarian food when I arrive to Canada was Country Style Hungarian Restaurant.. I was not dissapointed... the Shnitzel was as good as my mom's.. :D

Over the years .. I think it did change owners.. but still a good place for hungarian fare.. My favorite dish (never tried it there).. Rakut Krumpli..

C.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2003
1422 posts
1 upvote
tyrred2 wrote:What's Rakut Krumpli?? Sounds interesting.
Literally translates to layered potatoes. It another great Hungarian dish, kind of like scalloped potatoes. I t consists of layers of sliced potaoes, sliced eggs and sour cream. It may also contain slices of dry paprika sausage.

And yes another part Hungarian here.

Country Style has changed owners a few times over the years and I can't comment on the quality now, since it's been a few years since I've eaten there. But they did consistenly serve true hungarian food, as evidenced by much of their clientelle there and their menu and specials boards being in English and Hungarian.

The Paprika on Bathurst is somewhat hit and miss but still one of the better Hungarian eateries in the city.

There is/was a place on St.Clair West, the Budapest I believe, that also has/had good old fashioned Hungarian food.

In the past the place to go this time of year (during Caravan) was the Magyar Haz (Hungarian House) on St.Clair West, for great food, music and atmosphere, but sadly it is missing from this years list of Pavillions.

Long gone are the great Hungarian restaurants of my youth. The Continental (was across the street from Country Style), Csarda and Hungarian Village.

Some of my favs are Szekely Gulyas (Sauerkraut Goulash), Toltolk Kapusta (Cabbage Rolls), Becsi Szelet (Weiner Schnitzel), Rakott Krumpli, Bab Leves (Bean Soup), Palascinta (crepes) apricot or walnut, Csirkes Paprikas with Nukedly (Chicken Paprika with Dumplings) and Uborka Salata (Cucumber Salad).

D@mn, I'm hungry now! :lol:
Good Luck With All Your Contest Entries in 2010 :eek:

My HoFo Feedback
My Heatware Feedback

Bandi1 :cool:
× < >