• Nov 13th, 2017 9:38 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3663 posts
440 upvotes
MONTR

Schluthering the main floor bathroom

Ok, the bathroom demo took a bit of time since the tub didn't want to move. It turns out it was made of cast iron and needed the masculine touch via sledgehammer.
Once everything was out and cleaned from all the cement debris I was checking to see if the studs was square. As it turns out, nope they are twisted and have bends in them so needed to shim and reframe some of the studs especially where the new shower panel was going to be. Luckily I picked up my new tub with the 26 sheets of gypsum board as I think it would be more difficult to transport such a light tub (made of fiberglass) on my yaris being so windy now in montreal. The original window was too tall and water would seep in so I got a shorter crank window replacement. There is definitely no insulation in the wall except for a black tar paper, space was limited so I used Ayrfoil as it was thin enough and stapled it in.
demo with tub still stuck in

needed the masculine touch

out with the old window and new window here we come.
cleaned with new 3/4 plywood to replace the rotted out floor.

new tub
ayr Foil

installed
new tub test fitted

now lets start scluthering
73 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3663 posts
440 upvotes
MONTR
installed the gypsum boards and cut out the holes for 4 pot lights and fan.

framed where the shower panel will be.
braced the tub before urethane spray underneath
3 panels of kerdi board

as for the floor, it looks like I will go with ditra. So either take another LOC or use the credit card.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
15155 posts
1104 upvotes
Thornhill
Not sure what the recommendation is, but:

- I would have used the green drywall for the ceiling

- make sure your potlights are rated for wet locations (doesn't look like they are)

- make sure your exhaust fan is rated for above shower wet locations

- I'm not sure what the tub installation instructions are, but I had used stainless/galvanized metal clips instead of the strips you have

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7219 posts
565 upvotes
Toronto
WOULD YOU PLEASE STOP CALLING IT SCHLUTHER!

PS how long until "mods lock thread" and another one of your pointless threads gets locked before any real discussion? You must have a ton of free time on your hands. Why do you even bother?
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13466 posts
3358 upvotes
Toronto
Drew_W wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 8:59 pm
WOULD YOU PLEASE STOP CALLING IT SCHLUTHER!

PS how long until "mods lock thread" and another one of your pointless threads gets locked before any real discussion? You must have a ton of free time on your hands. Why do you even bother?
It has morbid curiosity value. I have never seen a wall braced like that before, all those wires unclipped behind the the tub wall, the reflective insulation that will not do much, and i would have kept the cast iron tub, more durable then the contractor grade tubs they sell today.
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3663 posts
440 upvotes
MONTR
t3359 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 5:46 pm
Not sure what the recommendation is, but:

- I would have used the green drywall for the ceiling

- make sure your potlights are rated for wet locations (doesn't look like they are)

- make sure your exhaust fan is rated for above shower wet locations

- I'm not sure what the tub installation instructions are, but I had used stainless/galvanized metal clips instead of the strips you have

bjl
i was trying to keep within my 4.5K budget for the bathroom, so I used regular 5/8" drywall and will paint it with Zinisser bathroom paint. for bath

yep the two potlights over the tub are BAZZ slims and made for bathroom humidity application.

the broan exhaust fan has a heating function made for bathroom.

as for the tub the inner side is resting on a horizontal piece of 2X4 supported with 2X4 legs. Then I popped some holes in the next room and in the kitchen to spray urethane to glue the tub (half filled with water) down.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3663 posts
440 upvotes
MONTR
Quentin5 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 9:20 pm
It has morbid curiosity value. I have never seen a wall braced like that before, all those wires unclipped behind the the tub wall, the reflective insulation that will not do much, and i would have kept the cast iron tub, more durable then the contractor grade tubs they sell today.
you can read up on the insulation below. :)

http://www.resisto.ca/wp-content/upload ... oil_An.pdf
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13466 posts
3358 upvotes
Toronto
nomdesplumes wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 10:25 pm
you can read up on the insulation below. :)

http://www.resisto.ca/wp-content/upload ... oil_An.pdf
[facepalm]
That is a nice way to drain your pocketbook and at least they are trying to be a bit honest with the airspace in the installation (and the nice obfuscating lie of "By defnition, this means that our AyR-FOIL bubble products are reflective insulation systems because they already have an enclosed air space sandwiched between the outer layers")
I'm sorry you wasted your money and that you believe their outlandish claims.
Reflective insulation will only help with radiative heat loss which is a minor constituent in a wall system (not the major they claim, unless your house is in outer space), conductive and convective heat loss are the big fish here. A wall assembly with high R values and no thermal bridging will save you the most money, if heat escapes your wall at a very slow rate there is very little to radiate out from your house
You may see an effective R value of 1-3 if your lucky, how much did it cost you per sq/ft?
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
15155 posts
1104 upvotes
Thornhill
Although some bathroom light/fan units are meant for the bathroom, I've seen some that are not rated to be *IN* the shower stall. Just double-check.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3663 posts
440 upvotes
MONTR
t3359 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2017 12:04 am
Although some bathroom light/fan units are meant for the bathroom, I've seen some that are not rated to be *IN* the shower stall. Just double-check.

bjl
Actually it is not in the shower stall and will be outside of the shower doors. This picture you can see the fan is atleast 36 inches away from the wall plus the leds lights in the stall are not GU10 bulbs.
I put in a normal bulb in the exhaust to make sure it is working but will put one of those red lights like when you buy BBQ pork lol.

kerabond T
Ultraplan 1 plus
Schlutered

Dec 29, 2008
96 posts
13 upvotes
Kitchener
keep posting your progress, if some people don't want to see it, they don't have to, free country.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3663 posts
440 upvotes
MONTR
dumped some self leveling on the plywood in the bathroom so I can kerabond the ditra.

dried up

checking with a level.
Ditra

more Schluther

tiled one side of the wall
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3663 posts
440 upvotes
MONTR
picked up this 50 dollar bucket for my floor tiles

[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3663 posts
440 upvotes
MONTR
tiled the last wall
once was done started to continue on the floors.
floors done, made sure it had enough kerabond in between the ditra and tiles.
handheld grinder to make the cutout for the toilet drain.
testing colors with grey walls
lunch, bored with pizza

tomorrow is grouting, vanity, toilet bowl install.
Jul 7, 2005
766 posts
77 upvotes
North York
nice level. floor tile choice... not so nice. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

overkill and a waste of time using the tile leveler system when you already used self leveler beforehand.

interested in seeing how this turns out.