• Nov 13th, 2017 9:38 pm
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13435 posts
3339 upvotes
Toronto
linsook wrote:
Jan 6th, 2017 11:08 pm
nice level. floor tile choice... not so nice. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

overkill and a waste of time using the tile leveler system when you already used self leveler beforehand.

interested in seeing how this turns out.
I can't say i fully understand how that leveler system works but you can install tiles unlevel no matter how level the floor is, press one tile down more then another, one less, one not quite straight and you have a wavy floor even if the subfloor was leveled by a master carpenter.
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Jul 7, 2005
766 posts
77 upvotes
North York
Quentin5 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2017 11:45 pm
I can't say i fully understand how that leveler system works but you can install tiles unlevel no matter how level the floor is, press one tile down more then another, one less, one not quite straight and you have a wavy floor even if the subfloor was leveled by a master carpenter.
well, of course you could... but i'd have to say, its pretty hard to mess up on the 'flatness' of tiles on a level and or flat floor. granted you'd have to lay down an even spread with your trowel and im assuming OP can-- drop them tiles down, move them into alignment, use spacers if you need to, give it a light bump or two with your the bottom of your fist or rubber mallet in the centre, move onto the next. you shouldn't need to be pushing down on the tile differently from the next, not on a floor like this.

but, you're right. with the right type of person, you could mess up anything.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13435 posts
3339 upvotes
Toronto
linsook wrote:
Jan 7th, 2017 12:12 am
well, of course you could... but i'd have to say, its pretty hard to mess up on the 'flatness' of tiles on a level and or flat floor. granted you'd have to lay down an even spread with your trowel and im assuming OP can-- drop them tiles down, move them into alignment, use spacers if you need to, give it a light bump or two with your the bottom of your fist or rubber mallet in the centre, move onto the next. you shouldn't need to be pushing down on the tile differently from the next, not on a floor like this.

but, you're right. with the right type of person, you could mess up anything.
I didn't do the best job the first time i installed ceramic tile. Many things i would do over if i could
Jul 7, 2005
766 posts
77 upvotes
North York
Quentin5 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2017 12:17 am
I didn't do the best job the first time i installed ceramic tile. Many things i would do over if i could
and now your a better tiler Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13435 posts
3339 upvotes
Toronto
linsook wrote:
Jan 7th, 2017 12:22 am
and now your a better tiler Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes.
Yes, but having the systems the OP used may have made my first jobs better quality then they turned out
Dec 29, 2008
96 posts
13 upvotes
Kitchener
I just finished doing a small tile porcelain backsplash, its an 85% quality job, but it was better than my first tile job for sure. Lots of cutting and lots of patience.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3663 posts
440 upvotes
MONTR
Quentin5 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 9:20 pm
It has morbid curiosity value. I have never seen a wall braced like that before, all those wires unclipped behind the the tub wall, the reflective insulation that will not do much, and i would have kept the cast iron tub, more durable then the contractor grade tubs they sell today.
But my thread has you clicking and posting
make_shift wrote:
Jan 4th, 2017 4:46 pm
keep posting your progress, if some people don't want to see it, they don't have to, free country.
Could not agree more but this is rfd full of naysayers
Quentin5 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2017 11:45 pm
this is my third tile job and I used the level system this time to get perfectly all flat and level tiles. The first was so so and second was better so for this one looking for perfect tiles. It goes faster tiling with the system than without.
that is why I got the level system
linsook wrote:
Jan 6th, 2017 11:08 pm
nice level. floor tile choice... not so nice. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

overkill and a waste of time using the tile leveler system when you already used self leveler beforehand.

interested in seeing how this turns out.
Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
time is faster tiling with the system than without for me.

got to start grouting now before pizza delivery.
Jan 30, 2015
189 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
I hope you use a white grout and not a gray one. Anything other than white will highlight the areas where that tile layout clashes with the window placement, and the tiny offcuts in the corner
Jul 20, 2004
944 posts
106 upvotes
Excellent job!! . Thanks for the pictures of your progress! Can't wait to see the finished project!
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13435 posts
3339 upvotes
Toronto
nomdesplumes wrote:
Jan 7th, 2017 7:55 am
But my thread has you clicking and posting

Could not agree more but this is rfd full of naysayers

that is why I got the level system

Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
time is faster tiling with the system than without for me.

got to start grouting now before pizza delivery.
I'm impressed with how much your doing and how quickly, though i do wish you got the proper permits.
I completely agree with using a leveling system, you want the best job possible
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3663 posts
440 upvotes
MONTR
Quentin5 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2017 5:37 pm
I'm impressed with how much your doing and how quickly, though i do wish you got the proper permits.
I completely agree with using a leveling system, you want the best job possible
permits shermits only you guys in ON are so anal about them. In Montreal, what I am doing is called a "refreshing" of the old bathroom toilet and does not require a permit.
Yes the first time doing this on the second floor I was slower, this is human nature for anyone that never done this before. Once you do it a second time you get accustomed to it and faster, the same when my boss wanted me to make pizza. He said the first time is always harder and then the second and third you don't think much about it.
Like I posted and noted this is the third time I am tiling, I tiled the floors on the second floor bathroom and did the backsplash which you didn't agree with using floor tiles 12X12 but hey it was cheap like 70 cents a piece. This mornings feat was grouting, just dumped the toilet bowl on, and took out the vanity from the box (already assembled) so now it is beginning to look like a bathroom.
Tomorrow morning's agenda is continuing painting.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2011
2715 posts
966 upvotes
Yellowknife
Now, the important question was, how much was that lunch in the picSmiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13435 posts
3339 upvotes
Toronto
nomdesplumes wrote:
Jan 7th, 2017 7:45 pm
permits shermits only you guys in ON are so anal about them. In Montreal, what I am doing is called a "refreshing" of the old bathroom toilet and does not require a permit.
Anal because i like things done properly and at least meeting minimum code for quality and safety. Damn right, i prefer above code, more durable and often more cost effective over the long run. If your house burned down because of some of the faulty electrical you have done your insurance is going to tear you a new one.
I'm impressed that you don't need a permit but lets not go there, i don't want to start a major argument.
Yes the first time doing this on the second floor I was slower, this is human nature for anyone that never done this before. Once you do it a second time you get accustomed to it and faster, the same when my boss wanted me to make pizza. He said the first time is always harder and then the second and third you don't think much about it.
I'm not arguing that you are slow, i already said you have been very quick and i agree with your using the leveling system, i wish i had known of it assuming it even existed when i could have benefited from it
Like I posted and noted this is the third time I am tiling, I tiled the floors on the second floor bathroom and did the backsplash which you didn't agree with using floor tiles 12X12 but hey it was cheap like 70 cents a piece. This mornings feat was grouting, just dumped the toilet bowl on, and took out the vanity from the box (already assembled) so now it is beginning to look like a bathroom.
Tomorrow morning's agenda is continuing painting.
You must be thinking of someone else, i said nothing about your tile choices.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
759 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Nice job for a DIY.

It's always nice to see people doing things themselves, properly, instead of being scammed by shady contractors out there
Dec 27, 2007
963 posts
302 upvotes
Oshawa
Stop watching Mike Holmes....
foodyforlife wrote:
Jan 7th, 2017 8:15 pm
Nice job for a DIY.

It's always nice to see people doing things themselves, properly, instead of being scammed by shady contractors out there