Home & Garden

Schluthering the main floor bathroom

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2017 9:38 pm
Oct 30, 2014
28 posts
Toronto, ON
Nice progress build!

I am doing something similar with a laundry closet (want laundry out of basement).
Do you have any pics on laundry hookup ? In your scenario - how much trouble was there to rough in an exhaust to the exterior ?
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4748 posts
2322 upvotes
Edmonton
Hasten wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:24 am
Nice progress build!

I am doing something similar with a laundry closet (want laundry out of basement).
Do you have any pics on laundry hookup ? In your scenario - how much trouble was there to rough in an exhaust to the exterior ?
Your question about venting to the exterior is impossible to answer in a relevant way. Every situation is different. We moved our laundry from the basement to the second floor, and because of where it's located, it was dead simple (attic crawlspace behind dryer, 3' run to exterior wall). But if you're putting it somewhere with finished walls and stuff, it's going to be MUCH more difficult.

C
Oct 30, 2014
28 posts
Toronto, ON
I am curious on how laundry is hooked up, i.e. how do you get dryer venting connected and move the whole stack back into the closet ?
Flexible ducts? Magnetic termination points such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTaijz3Iil4 ?

It looks great just wondering on how do you connect / service that laundry closet.
Nov 14, 2013
392 posts
113 upvotes
Brampton, Ontario
nomdesplumes wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 1:35 pm
thanks bro.
using the bathroom every day now even though missing a light over the vanity. ( waiting for something to go on sale cheap YMMV so I go time and no rush for it)

Washer and dryer made its way in the modified linen closet and pantry just under the ac/heater. This was my idea to save me time and trouble of going to the basement to do the laundry even though this era type of houses all have them in the basement.
Can you reach your dryer's knobs/buttons? Sorry images are small

Washroom looks great
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2376 posts
540 upvotes
Newmarket
nomdesplumes wrote:
Jan 11th, 2017 7:35 pm
People on rfd don't look for deals anymore instead it is a place to bash people on a tight budget.
Can't win here, can you ;-), great job.
Can I ask the brand and model for your tub, and where you got it? thanks
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3663 posts
440 upvotes
MONTR
t3359 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 4:39 pm
Hey Nom,

Where have you been? Didn’t see you around for a year!

bjl
I have been busy getting another LOC, getting all the windows, doors replaced, got a tenant upstairs, some finishing touch up, upgraded the 2008 yaris four door to a 2012 yaris hatchback, and of course delivering pizzas.
Hasten wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:24 am
Nice progress build!

I was originally replacing all the old galvanized and cast iron pipes and then bit the bullet to do the bathroom also. With the bathroom demolished, down to the stud and fully exposed it was fairly easy as just hooking up the aluminum vent tube over the bathroom and out the wall. You can follow my home reno thread, what is left of it after the mods made a mess of it by joining separate topics into one big melee. I was tackling electrical in one thread, plumbling in another, tiling, etc... and it was all clumped up here :
my-home-renovation-2041795

insurance-wants-me-get-rid-galvanized-p ... em-2030407
Hasten wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 2:13 pm
I am curious on how laundry is hooked up, i.e. how do you get dryer venting connected and move the whole stack back into the closet ?
Flexible ducts? Magnetic termination points such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTaijz3Iil4 ?

It looks great just wondering on how do you connect / service that laundry closet.
if you follow my threads about bashing the wall in the pantry and widening it you would see I passed the electricals wires for the washer and dryer for both upstairs (tenant) and the main floor. Only difference is the main floor I ran another set of power wires for the ac/heater, drain pipe for the ac/heater.
The washer goes in first, there is access for the water and drain with the power in the back wall. then you slide in the dryer on the top and you have access from the kitchen side to attach the vent and plug in the socket. The tenants bought similar washer dryer but in white and stuffed towels around the edges to prevent vibration or movement.
Dsidhu wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 4:21 pm

Can you reach your dryer's knobs/buttons? Sorry images are small

Washroom looks great
yes I can.
Homerhomer wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 4:52 pm

Can't win here, can you ;-), great job.
Can I ask the brand and model for your tub, and where you got it? thanks
Bought it with all the other reno materials from Reno Depot with the first time buyer and credit card for 30% off. It is the brand that most of the tubs they are selling and made in canada
icantfigureoutausername wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 7:43 pm
It looks beautiful. I love the floor.
Where did you get the vanity?
Can you do mine?
Thank you, the floor tiles I bought from CIOT when I got the shower panel at a super duper price.
Haha, I don't do this for a living and deliver/flip pizzas but don't underestimate yourself. If you really want it and on a tight budget like me then you gotta to do what you gotta do. Plumbers and electricians wanted to gouge me so I decided I was not going to bend over and take it from the rear end.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7219 posts
565 upvotes
Toronto
nomdesplumes wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 6:24 pm
Plumbers and electricians wanted to gouge me so I decided I was not going to bend over and take it from the rear end.
Your work is still illegal. So congratulations on that. You're an inspiration to us all.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3663 posts
440 upvotes
MONTR
Drew_W wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 7:08 pm
Your work is still illegal. So congratulations on that. You're an inspiration to us all.
you are making some strong allegations there, better lawyer up bro.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
2520 posts
193 upvotes
Mississauga
I would love to do this but would muck it up I am certain lol.

I got blasted in some other thread because of a very small job getting complicated cause I had compilations after the fact I am so scared of committing to a contractor!!
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2012
4817 posts
1263 upvotes
Space
Looked good until the floor tiles. Not my cup of tea.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3663 posts
440 upvotes
MONTR
Solsearchin1 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 3:23 am
Looked good until the floor tiles. Not my cup of tea.
It was on sale and I am very happy that I did not surpass my 5K budget to complete my bathroom with all the orange stuff (sluther) that everyone here seems to talk about.
highly recommend any first timers to use the leveling system as the tiles came out perfect just like a pro.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
2520 posts
193 upvotes
Mississauga
are those guys on 640 radio any good? 310-Reno
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7219 posts
565 upvotes
Toronto
nomdesplumes wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 9:24 pm
you are making some strong allegations there, better lawyer up bro.
Give me the contact phone # for your electrician.