Parenting & Family

School Requires Children Wear Slippers (Warning a bit of a long read)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2010 3:26 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 24, 2007
283 posts
2 upvotes

School Requires Children Wear Slippers (Warning a bit of a long read)

Hi,

I have written previously on this topic in my near psychotic search for appropriate footwear for my chilren while at school. It is a daycare/preschool and my children are ages 4 and 5. They have always had a policy requiring rubber soled slippers, however, knowing that parents complained that slippers were hard to find, they relaxed the rules a bit to include flexible soled shoes. (Their reasoning is a cozy home feel.)

For over a month now I have searched for new acceptable school shoes for my DD. We have been unable to find any that fit - every single pair slips too much, hurts, feels funny, etc. So, I went to the school and asked for help. I don't know what else to do as I can't find any shoes that fit her. Their response??? I was given 1 week to bring in slippers for my children or they will not be allowed to attend class. This has also now been told to every other parent that had their children in shoes.

The only way they may consider accomodating my children is if they can have a medical doctor's note stating their special needs. Seriously? Tax payers $$$ to tell the school that they can't wear slippers as they don't fit right? I do have an appointment, but am hoping that I do not need to go that route. I can find info on how to choose a shoe but I am finding it difficult to pull resources from respected sources indicating that slippers are not appropriate footwear for children. They don't fit well, they make their feet sweat, offer no support, and aren't durable. Can anyone assist?
23 replies
Feb 15, 2010
93 posts
Markham
How about Crocs? Is cros allowed at this daycare/school?
Oct 15, 2001
912 posts
17 upvotes
calgaryhhr wrote:
Apr 15th, 2010 4:33 pm
Are mocassins acceptable?
Good idea. I like mocassins, no support, good for the feet.

Is ballet slippers okay?
laptop-tech wrote:
Dec 12th, 2008 11:53 pm
On boxing day everything will be free.
May 12, 2009
576 posts
78 upvotes
my little one wears fur-lined croc knock-offs because she can put then on and off herself. of course, the only rule is "non-marking"
Aug 11, 2008
630 posts
219 upvotes
I second the Ballet slippers idea. They usually come in black, white and pink. You would have your choice of leather or canvas (leather gets sweaty but canvas wears out faster). You can also choose full sole or half sole. You might have to sew on an elastic to hold them on, but the store can easily show you how to do it and some brands come pre-sewn at least at one side. If you buy leather, use a "glovers needle" and a thimble to get through the leather really easily. I've been sewing my own leather slippers since I was 12.

I always bought mine at danceshoppe on Sheppard at Yonge. There used to be parking behind the building. I assume there probably still is. http://www.danceshoppe.com/

You could also try gymnastics shoes or jazz shoes?
[OP]
Oct 24, 2007
283 posts
2 upvotes
Crocs have been banned as terrible footwear and are not even allowed for water day shoes. As for any ballet slippers and such, they specifically state it must be a rubber soled slipper.

Foamtreads are the best I have found so far - but they slip off and the kids have trouble walking in them. And then there is the fact their feet get blistered and the skin breaks down from being so hot and sweaty all day. They also only lasted for 2 weeks before the sole starts coming off and becomes a tripping hazzard.

I have looked into non-lined moccasins (so they aren't too hot) but haven't found them with a rubber sole for children.

Over 40 stores and yet they are acting like I am trying to break the rules rather than making extremem attempts to follow them - even though I still maintain slippers are crappy and unhealthy footwear for kids to be wearing all day.

For those of you in private school - do they have footwear rules? Like any black shoe, etc. What so you do if you can't find what they ask for?
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1160 upvotes
susan123 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2010 7:44 pm
For those of you in private school - do they have footwear rules? Like any black shoe, etc.
At the Montessori we send our kids to, they require black dress shoes... We found a nice pair of Geox for the last daughter, and will be looking for a new set for the next one. Finding something suitable hasn't been a problem.
These folks have taken over RFD, so I'm done here.

Mutu qabla an tamutu
Jul 13, 2009
921 posts
57 upvotes
Have you inquired with the other parents as to what their kids are wearing?
[OP]
Oct 24, 2007
283 posts
2 upvotes
Half have the Foamtreads or other slippers but ALL of those have separated soles and kids may trip. Other half have been given the "one week or doctors note" talk.

Funny part is for the younger kids, they are calling the Robeez Tredz and slipper, even though it is a shoe. So, as long as your kid is little they can wear a shoe, but once they outgrow that brand (or similar), no soft soled shoes allowed.
Aug 11, 2008
630 posts
219 upvotes
You could try calling Sloan's Shoes. (Yonge and Lawrence/Yor Mills area, next to Loblaws)

http://www.sloansshoes.com/

I always bought my school uniform shoes there. They always bend over backwards to help me out when I was having trouble finding something that fits/meets school requirements. They even helped me out in January, when I was desperate for a leather boot with a large calve, in size 5, up to my knee, with a fur-type lining (yes, I'm very picky).

I don't know how small their sizes run, but they could at least suggest something or somewhere to go.

Also, have you considered sewing an elastic on a slipper that is falling off to keep it on?
Mar 30, 2010
739 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Have you asked the school 'why?', it all sounds a bit odd to me, they usually want a solid pair of shoes with the uniform.

Also, can the school not recommend where to buy these 'special' shoes/slippers?

When my children were in private school, you always got a list of what was needed and where to purchase it.

As for 'if you have a doctors' note' is that not a form of 'discrimination' in that some kiddies are wearing 'approved' and some not???

What a waste of OUR taxpayers money, getting a note for some dumbass rule about footwear for children to appease some dumbass school!!

Sorry but there are really sick people waiting to see a doctor, not about satifying some fake rule for a private school.

Did they ever give you a reason for no shoes, ie to protect gym floors or something............very weird IMO.

I agree with you that slippers with torn soles are dangerous, makes the whole issue seem stupid.
[OP]
Oct 24, 2007
283 posts
2 upvotes
Tanks inmyturret, I'll check it out.

As for "why" - they want to create a cozy home like atmosphere. No other reason than that, although I suspect it has somehting to do with their hardwood floors ;) And note - it is not a private school, it is a daycare (18mths to 6yrs).

As for discrimination - the doctors note will make sure they can't discriminate against me as runners will be required for medical reasons. They accomadate kids bringing their own food due to medical dietary issues, now they will have to accomadate kids bringing in sneakers due to physical medical issues.

But whoelheartedly I agree - there are sick people who need the appointments and the taxpayers shouldn't pay for this. But, the school did not take that I can't find slippers that fit and will only accept the reason that slippers aren't healthy. (I suspect this will be paid for by myself as notes and the like are not covered by OHIP - but the actual visit is and that is disappointing. I am desperately hoping that with all the other parents complaining they will finally revise their rules before the appointment.)
× < >