26318 posts
3157 upvotes
Calgary
Chigu wrote:
Apr 11th, 2012 4:07 pm
Waterloo - majority are 4 month co-op terms, some 8 months
U of Toronto - 4 month co-op terms
Brock - 4 month, 8 month co-op terms
I always thought UToronto's PEY program was exactly that, a year-long internship (ie: up to 16 months, May to Sept of the next year)?

Where do you get UToronto = 4 months???
TodayHello wrote:
Oct 16th, 2012 9:06 pm
...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Aug 31, 2011
356 posts
67 upvotes
Mark77 wrote:
Apr 11th, 2012 6:35 pm
I always thought UToronto's PEY program was exactly that, a year-long internship (ie: up to 16 months, May to Sept of the next year)?

Where do you get UToronto = 4 months???

What you are talking about shouldn't even be considered co-op... that's just simply an internship. UofT Scarborough has co-op that is 4 or 8 months.

http://mgmtcoop.utsc.utoronto.ca/about - don't know anything about this, just showing the 4 or 8 month co-op
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1507 posts
52 upvotes
kaydees wrote:
Apr 11th, 2012 7:18 pm
What you are talking about shouldn't even be considered co-op... that's just simply an internship. UofT Scarborough has co-op that is 4 or 8 months.

http://mgmtcoop.utsc.utoronto.ca/about - don't know anything about this, just showing the 4 or 8 month co-op

That was what I was talking about, BBA management co op at utsc.
Aug 31, 2011
356 posts
67 upvotes
Not sure why so many people are criticizing co-op, are you just upset that you couldn't be in such a program? I am fine with people who went through co-op and have negative things to say about it, but if you aren't even in the program you shouldn't even be judging it.

To those saying not everyone gets placements, a school can't just do the work for you and place you with any company.. that isn't even how it works in the real world. And I'm sure an employer wouldn't be happy with that process either and would probably stop using the co-op program if they had no choice in the student they employ...

If you suck at interviews and school, obviously being in co-op won't magically land you a job. :facepalm:
Jan 27, 2008
613 posts
16 upvotes
UTSC management coop here.

I've landed some pretty amazing coop work terms and they only hire coop students.

If you are willing to put some effort in customizing your resume, prepare yourself before the interview and be able to present yourself in a reasonable manner, you should not have any trouble finding a coop job.. (at least at UTSC's management program... I've heard lots of horror stories from those in the arts programs)

And no.. coop job posting does not include being hired by the University to do admin work...

of course, there are people out there who just simply lack common sense, communication skills, or not willing to put in some effort and expects the school to assign them to a Big4 accounting firm or the Big5 banks.. that will not happen...
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13016 posts
1121 upvotes
I would think that having a top-name university on your resume wouldn't hurt though..
Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Feb 11, 2009
718 posts
103 upvotes
I was very glad I took co-op in undergrad.

A year before we went out we took a non-credit 'course' which was a series of workshops and guest speakers. I found them really helpful. At my school we had to submit our resumes and they had to be approved. At one point they were handed back to us and virtually everyone was forced to revise- it was tough love. I realize resume and interview help are offered at any career centre but our co-op office was much more harsh but helpful. My first job I got on my own, but in many cases companies will interview students on campus though the co-op office.

It would have been 2005 when starting going out for placements and the economy was much better. I also think there were fewer/smaller co-op programs- now every school does it. Everyone I knew in the business program found something. We had to pay an administration fee per placement. Back then, if you didn't get a placement, you didn't have to pay the fee. Now things are tougher and not everyone secures a job. There's one part that you pay regardless and another part you pay upon securing a placement. The hardest term is the summer (May-Aug) term because you are fighting with those that want summer jobs. Our school has an internship program for international students and I can't image the placement rate for them being very good as they are still adjusting to the language and culture.

I wasn't able to go back to the company I did my co-op at, but my experiences did help me get a few interviews. When looking for full time work, it helped to have gone through the application and interview process already before. It was also useful for developing references and having something besides education and extra curricular on your resume.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2008
3299 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
I see the extra fee as the cost of maintaining the job bank and network for students to apply jobs at. It's a little price to pay for the extra experience and money you earn during the coop terms.
Jun 27, 2009
386 posts
1 upvote
Calgary
your basically paying the school for coop so you can work for free, have companies hire you for free. that's not a rip that's a scam.
Aug 31, 2011
356 posts
67 upvotes
mtchicken wrote:
Apr 12th, 2012 3:31 pm
your basically paying the school for coop so you can work for free, have companies hire you for free. that's not a rip that's a scam.

What are you even talking about? You get paid just like a regular employee on co-op...can be minimum wage (rare) to over $30/hour.
Jan 13, 2011
456 posts
8 upvotes
mtchicken wrote:

u get paid for co-op and the company would most likely hire u after your done u guys make it sound like co-op is mandatory
Feb 10, 2012
64 posts
2 upvotes
I see a lot of poorly defended arguments for not liking co-op. It seems most people hate it just because. Like someone else mentioned the only people talking in this thread should be people who have had experience with co-op.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13016 posts
1121 upvotes
I've had two co-op jobs. Both were pretty awful and I didn't enjoy them very much.
Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Jan 27, 2008
613 posts
16 upvotes
The quality of job posting vary greatly between schools and programs.

From my experience, business and engineering has the most proper/relevant coop jobs.

Other programs are a mix bag. I know people in the science coop program working in exciting projects at the zoo, while others are washing beakers at a lab
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1507 posts
52 upvotes
mtchicken wrote:

You are obviously trolling, since many ppl have said before your post that you get paid pretty well for Co-op. But I'll bite; Just to give you some numbers. My first co-op term I was paid 35,000/yr, second co-op term 38,000 per year, and my third co-op term was in the range of 45,000/yr. I don't remember how much for my 4th.

That works out to 11,600, 12,700, and 15,000 respectively per co-op term (4 months). Also, I told them not to deduct taxes, because I would just use my tuition credits against my income. That is a lot more than minimum wage.
× < >