Page 1 of 1

Schulich Accelerated MBA

Posted: Jun 18th, 2010 3:58 pm
by dling7
I realize there are many threads on MBAs, the Schulich School of Business, and the like. However I could not find many talking about the Schulich Accelerated MBA program for business grads, with ability to finish in 8 months vs the regular 16 months for full-time students. It seems like there are lots who did BBA, B.Comm so I would think there may be lots interested in this program.

Of course, many will argue that doing an MBA may not necessarily benefit a business undergrad by the same amount as say an engineering undergrad, but I still want to see what people think. For roughly $20-25k to earn an MBA, it seems like a no brainer to me. In comparison, the Queens Accelerated MBA is $67k, Ivey's 1 year MBA is $69k, Rotman's 2-year full-time is $75k.

Specifically, are there people in this program, graduated, even prospective? What was the experience, what was your age and working situation pre and post MBA, etc. Did it benefit you much straight after, or after working a few years? Perhaps also mention where you did your undergrad, and what marks/scores you were accepted with.

Re: Schulich Accelerated MBA

Posted: Jun 18th, 2010 4:34 pm
by Tongue180
This should answer all your questions...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YmyvH16pBc

Posted: Jun 19th, 2010 11:45 am
by TodayHello
Tongue180 wrote: This should answer all your questions...

This is horrible.

Posted: Jun 19th, 2010 12:13 pm
by dling7
Anyone with some more informative posts?

Posted: Jun 19th, 2010 2:13 pm
by JohnEnglish
I did a "regular MBA" at Schulich and I had some classes with accelerated students They're usually younger since a lot of them would get jobs after graduating from B.Comm., work for a year or two and then come into the MBA program. From what I remember the accelerated program just meant that you get to skip all the first year MBA courses and take the second year courses.

Yeah, this is really bad.

Posted: Jun 19th, 2010 9:56 pm
by fly
I had the opportunity to take the accelerated program (you just have to submit the challenge courses you did in undergrad along with the application) but chose the "full MBA experience".

If you have a B.Comm, definitely challenge as many first year courses as possible. I didn't learn anything new and at the same time found myself arguing with the profs because I knew 4th year undergrad stuff that they said was too advanced for the curriculum, so I lost marks for being too smart. It's like knowing derivatives and the profs were still on first principles. As result I got bored and lost interest. It wasn't until 2nd year that I felt I learned anything.

The toughest part of jumping straight into 2nd year full time is finding a good group for the 601. You form your own teams and if you're new you probably haven't proven to anyone that you'd make a good team member. You'll probably join a group that is short of a person. The 601 will either make you friends for life or be the worst 9 months of your life. I know some people who went into 2nd year as a part time and spent a year to build their network before doing the 601 so it depends on what you're intending to do. Never know, maybe you'll find a good group. That's the only 'bad' thing about jumping straight into 2nd year.

Posted: Jun 19th, 2010 11:47 pm
by adehbone
That video is beyond horrid. Did you try the search, I remember this was discussed before. I know someone who just got accepted into the program. Did their bba at Windsor. It's alot cheaper, but the program is basically for BBAs since they have all the courses needed to challenge.

Posted: Jun 20th, 2010 10:06 am
by dling7
Thanks for all of the information so far

Posted: Jun 22nd, 2010 2:41 pm
by dling7
bump, any more expereinces

Posted: Jun 24th, 2010 9:47 pm
by PTMBAA
I have heard the it is very difficult to get Schulich to waive all first year courses, unless you have a BBA from Schulich. I have heard a CA was forced to take intro accounting, because Schulich refused to waive the person's undergrad accounting course.

Anyways....."Schulich....A brick building where dreams are made of....." :confused:

Posted: Nov 2nd, 2011 9:05 pm
by xstatik
Question on the application process.
How do you apply for the Accelerated MBA option for Schulich? I haven't been able to get a straight answer from Schulich.
Does one have to submit the forms and course outlines of undergrad courses? Or are you automatically accepted into the accelerated option? (I've heard mixed)

I would apprciate any feedback from accepted students?

Also, who would be a good contact from Schulich that would best answer my question as I've really been getting the run around from their admissions staff.

Please share your stories of how to get into the accelerated option.

Thanks,

Posted: Nov 3rd, 2011 12:45 am
by jungeon
lingenfelter7 wrote: I realize there are many threads on MBAs, the Schulich School of Business, and the like. However I could not find many talking about the Schulich Accelerated MBA program for business grads, with ability to finish in 8 months vs the regular 16 months for full-time students. It seems like there are lots who did BBA, B.Comm so I would think there may be lots interested in this program.

Of course, many will argue that doing an MBA may not necessarily benefit a business undergrad by the same amount as say an engineering undergrad, but I still want to see what people think. For roughly $20-25k to earn an MBA, it seems like a no brainer to me. In comparison, the Queens Accelerated MBA is $67k, Ivey's 1 year MBA is $69k, Rotman's 2-year full-time is $75k.

Specifically, are there people in this program, graduated, even prospective? What was the experience, what was your age and working situation pre and post MBA, etc. Did it benefit you much straight after, or after working a few years? Perhaps also mention where you did your undergrad, and what marks/scores you were accepted with.

I thought ivey accelerated mba was only open to hbas from ivey?
I wouldn't spend my money on an mba from canada ite, not alot of good pay or good jobs, too many unemployed people. If you have a bba, work hard, you should be able to get enough promotions to out earn an mba.

Posted: Nov 3rd, 2011 11:07 am
by dling7
xstatik wrote: Question on the application process.
How do you apply for the Accelerated MBA option for Schulich? I haven't been able to get a straight answer from Schulich.
Does one have to submit the forms and course outlines of undergrad courses? Or are you automatically accepted into the accelerated option? (I've heard mixed)

I would apprciate any feedback from accepted students?

Also, who would be a good contact from Schulich that would best answer my question as I've really been getting the run around from their admissions staff.

Please share your stories of how to get into the accelerated option.

Thanks,

No forms required, during your application process if they see you have graduated from a BBA or B. Comm they will automatically consider you for the Accelerated option. However, they do look at the marks you received in undergrad and I think also which school it was from. No disrespect to Brock, but I don't think they would waive all of the courses from there. FYI, I graduated with BBA from UTSC and had all my first year courses waived.

If they don't accept all of your courses you can then submit an application to petition them - alternatively if you did an BA specializing in Economics you could apply to have all of your economics courses waived.

Posted: Nov 4th, 2011 1:23 pm
by Yu_Qing

jeezus.