Careers

Schulich part time mba reviews

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2018 3:55 pm
[OP]
Jul 29, 2012
35 posts

Schulich part time mba reviews

Anyone here has an experience with schulich part time mba ? I am looking to get into management consulting or land a gig in US . I am a technical PM and finding it too hard to quit my job and go to US for mba
5 replies
Sep 28, 2013
464 posts
105 upvotes
If you want to work in the US, you have to go school in the US - you also go into a special Visa category that drastically improves your chances of staying in the US after graduating. Although even in Canada, it's pretty hard to land a true management consulting gig (by that I mean strategy) without going to an Ivey or similar....Ivey because of the case-method tends to get a lot of consulting recruitment. Part-time MBAs also don't get to participate in the full-time recruitment cycle, if I'm not mistaken.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
4675 posts
877 upvotes
Don’t sign up for anything anywhere with anyone until you have an idea of what you want to do and how you’re going to get there. Otherwise you’re putting your money and your time in the hands of people who are happy to take you money and don’t care much about your time. Schulich for US based management consulting roles with a PM background? Sure. Anything is possible. What’s your plan? I don’t think they recruit at Schulich. What’s your plan? If they do only a small amount of Associate level jobs open up every year. What’s your plan? Does going to Ivey or a US target school increase your odds and probability of success? What’s your plan.

Btw - there are a lot of Schulich folks on Bay St in finance. They have a solid real estate program. Same with a lot of Rotman and Ivey grads. Maybe it has something to do with the pedigree of the programs, or maybe it has something to do with them churning out MBAs at an unprecedented rate and you basically need one for anything.
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Dec 21, 2009
81 posts
41 upvotes
Oakville
Your mileage will vary with Schulich MBA - I did mine there as well but accelerated.

It's up to you to really leverage the experience and connections - and ya you may get some interviews for consulting firms, but your work experience will be the real thing that will set you apart - but no doubt it has some brand equity that will bring in more interviews.

The graduating class is mixed, you're gonna get shmucks and some smart people with a plan - make sure you're the latter and be applying as you go through it, and to take courses in the field you're interested in.
[OP]
Jul 29, 2012
35 posts
Ivey has a full time program , they do offer an executive mba but I might have to wait a few years for it . US schools are a better decision for sure but again I don’t want to quit job and go for it.

The reason I am looking for management consulting is that first of all with numbers of years of experience it does pay really well. It will be too hard to make 300k a year in a tech company unless at a VP Level. Management consultants get to work on complex projects , various companies and the grooming there is really good . You learn a lot but it does have a con of work life balance.
If getting into management consulting would be hard I am okay with staying in tech but then I need to look for the right company and the right position . So far I do feel after a year at a company , the job becomes easy and I hardly learn much . And the progress is slow . I have seen people on role for attest 3-4 years . Like going from manager to VP would mean at least 10 years.
Sep 28, 2013
464 posts
105 upvotes
GeoEngg wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 12:48 pm
Ivey has a full time program , they do offer an executive mba but I might have to wait a few years for it . US schools are a better decision for sure but again I don’t want to quit job and go for it.

The reason I am looking for management consulting is that first of all with numbers of years of experience it does pay really well. It will be too hard to make 300k a year in a tech company unless at a VP Level. Management consultants get to work on complex projects , various companies and the grooming there is really good . You learn a lot but it does have a con of work life balance.
If getting into management consulting would be hard I am okay with staying in tech but then I need to look for the right company and the right position . So far I do feel after a year at a company , the job becomes easy and I hardly learn much . And the progress is slow . I have seen people on role for attest 3-4 years . Like going from manager to VP would mean at least 10 years.
Take it from me, an emba - even from Ivey - will not break you into a strategy consulting role. You're ideally joining as an associate level consultant. That generally requires full time mbas and full time recruiting. The emba offers very little in the way of career switching, its more of a networking tool. In my experience, if you want to switch into consulting or capital markets, it generally requires you to go all in. I understand why you want to hedge your risk by doing part time but you will only get to do an MBA once, I suggest you don't skimp based on cost or convenience. If Harvard Business School gave me a chance to go but at double the cost of everyone else, I'd still consider it a no brainer.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)